Jul 24, 2015 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

be4rgryllz

New Head-Fier
Prices for reference: 
Sennheiser PC363D: 213€
Beyerdynamic DT770: 133€
Beyerdynamic DT770/990 Pro: 149€
Fiio E10K: 83€

I currently own a HyperX Cloud and am actually very happy with it, the reason why I want to change is as follows: The earpads have eased somewhat and since the earcups seem to be relatively small, they press against my ear. This leads to pain after hour long gaming sessions. So I'm looking for something new and want to spend around 200 € - 250€(max).

I have to say that it doesn't have to be a headset, could also go with pure headphones and temporarily buy myself a cheap mic which I then upgrade later.
I am also intrigued by the idea of getting a DAC / AMP combo, either right now (which probably makes it hard to stay in the € 200 range) or later, take out all the sound-related stuff from the PC case is a good idea, so if you are there you have recommendations, throw them at me :p The only affordable one seems to be the Fiio E10K at around 80€ here, but I've seen people complain about bluescreens with it. 

Anyway, my eye fell on the Sennheiser PC363D, the sound is apparently nice and they have a good mic. The 7.1 Surround function is relatively unimportant to me. It also has an open design ('m back really torn between open and closed, open seems to allegedly sound better, but the closed design blocks out noise better, like PC fans and stuff). The included USB-Soundcard seems to be good also, delivering crisp input and output.

Another thing are the Beyerdynamic DT-770 (Pro?) or DT-990 Pro, which I would however need a DAC/AMP for, right? I do not really wanna rely on the onboard sound of my motherboard, because there are always problems with it and it's pretty old. 

TLDR: Do you guys think I should get a Headset (like the Sennheiser PC363D which seem to be pretty good in that department) or should I get headphones, a DAC/AMP combo (if yes which one) and a cheap mic to go along with it?

Thanks ever so much for the answers. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 19
the DT990 with some tracks could become too bright. I don't know if Fidelio X2+V-moda boom pro mic exceeds your budget, but it is the best option there is for a "headset", you could buy other headphones and add the MOD-MIC like the K7xx. Anyway if I was in your boat, out of those headphones you mentioned, I would buy the Sens, the others you mentioned need amps and could be too bright with certain recordings.Mind you though that the Sen has natural bass, no emphasis in the bass region whereas the beyers are bass heavy.

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 19
Have you checked out this headphone gaming guide?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-5-31-2015-beyer-cop-and-shure-1540-added

Haven't heard of people on Head-Fi complaining about bluescreens with the E10K.

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 19
  the DT990 with some tracks could become too bright. I don't know if Fidelio X2+V-moda boom pro mic exceeds your budget, but it is the best option there is for a "headset", you could buy other headphones and add the MOD-MIC like the K7xx. Anyway if I was in your boat, out of those headphones you mentioned, I would buy the Sens, the others you mentioned need amps and could be too bright with certain recordings.Mind you though that the Sen has natural bass, no emphasis in the bass region whereas the beyers are bass heavy.

Fidelio X2's are 300€ by themselves, way over budget and that doesn't even include an AMP/DAC. I'll buy like a blue yeti or modmic later when it's on sale until then I'll just get a cheap mic - If I get standalone headphones that is.

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #5 of 19
Have you checked out this headphone gaming guide?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-5-31-2015-beyer-cop-and-shure-1540-added

Haven't heard of people on Head-Fi complaining about bluescreens with the E10K.

Thanks, I'll read through that guide. 
And apparently the Fiio drivers are ****, they cause all kinds of problems. Also, if you plug it in a USB 3.0 Port it can cause those BSODs. 

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 19
Of the ones listed I'd also recommend the Senns, have a pair of the PC350SEs myself but they do need amplification in order to fully come into their own, the PC360D though comes with an amp in the included sound card so you should be fine there. Definitely not a bad idea to take a look at the gaming guide thread as well, will take a look at it myself to see how the world of gaming headphones has progressed.

Jul 24, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #7 of 19
  1. @cel4145 Alright, so after reading through the important part of that gaming guide I'm definitely a bit smarter than before :p 
  2. So it's either the Sennheiser 363D (which is a respectable headset like I thought) or the DT990 Pro's coupled with a DAC/AMP combo and a cheap mic. 
  3. Price would almost be the same, it's a hard decision :p

Jul 24, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #8 of 19
And apparently the Fiio drivers are ****, they cause all kinds of problems. Also, if you plug it in a USB 3.0 Port it can cause those BSODs. 

That doesn't sound right to me. The E10K doesn't require any drivers to use. It's plug and play.

Jul 25, 2015 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 19

1. @cel4145 Alright, so after reading through the important part of that gaming guide I'm definitely a bit smarter than before :p 
  2. So it's either the Sennheiser 363D (which is a respectable headset like I thought) or the DT990 Pro's coupled with a DAC/AMP combo and a cheap mic. 
  3. Price would almost be the same, it's a hard decision :p

Get a Sennheiser HD558 (a lot of the Sennheiser headphones use the same 50-Ohm driver).
Get a used HD558 and remove the black rubber tape from inside the cups, then get any add-on mic you like.
Maybe get a Sound Blaster Z sound card (used is fine).

Jul 25, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #11 of 19
That doesn't sound right to me. The E10K doesn't require any drivers to use. It's plug and play.

the FIIO E10K is a DAC too, It is very probable that it has a driver.

So after reading up on it a bit, it seems like there is indeed a driver out there, but you don't have to install it since it doesn't really do anything. 
I'm really tempted to go with the Fiio E10k and DT990 Pro's now :/

Jul 25, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 19
Most DAC/Amps that are worth a darn don't seem to need drivers from what I've seen. They simply take the audio data that's sent over USB, process it and then send it to the headphones. The DT990 Pros along with an Antlion Modmic definitely wouldn't be a bad choice. Not so sure I would recommend a Sound Blaster Z card, the Creative sound cards have had driver problems for a while and I typically shy away from recommending them.

Jul 25, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #13 of 19

So after reading up on it a bit, it seems like there is indeed a driver out there, but you don't have to install it since it doesn't really do anything. 
I'm really tempted to go with the Fiio E10k and DT990 Pro's now :/

The FiiO E10K is a good value, but it offers zero headphone surround sound features (which is fine for music). so if your ok gaming in stereo audio, then the E10K should do the job.
Guess you can get something like Razor software for headphone surround sound.

The DT990 Pro 250-Ohm are full bass/treble, which slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.

Jul 25, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 19

The FiiO E10K is a good value, but it offers zero headphone surround sound features (which is fine for music). so if your ok gaming in stereo audio, then the E10K should do the job.
Guess you can get something like Razor software for headphone surround sound.

The DT990 Pro 250-Ohm are full bass/treble, which slightly overshadows the mids, but the mids are clear.

Most people play games with stereo headphones anyways, I've tried a surround headset in the past and it wasn't really my thing, the sound got very tinny and weird. So the E10K should be perfectly fine like you said. I'm not gonna use any surround software either, and definitely no razer stuff :wink:
I also don't mind a bit of bass from my headphones, it shouldn't be overpowering though and make the rest of the sound muddy. And if I should not like the DT990 Pros, I have 30 days to return them and try out different headphones, maybe the 770s or something :)

Jul 26, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #15 of 19
Alright so I went with a Fiio E10K and some DT990 Pro's now, coupled with a Blue Snowball Mic. 
If I really don't like the open design I'm gonna switch them out for DT770 Pro's, but we'll see. 
Thanks for all your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back