New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Dec 23, 2014 at 3:22 PM Post #511 of 1,838
Thing I find with hiss is once you hear it you are always aware of it and with very quiet classical it can be a real pain.
Fortunately, the only over ear headphone I hear hiss with is my HP100 (32 ohm). With my Horizon the solution is simple-just switch to a lower gain tube. 12AU7's are fine.
With Polaris I increase the output impedance to the middle setting and the hiss is gone. Actually the HP100 sounds better balanced at this output impedance, anyway.
Agree o2 amp has no hiss, but no passion and soul either, (at least compared to Garage 1217 amps).

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #512 of 1,838
Don't forget, I'm talking minutia here. My ear automatically tunes into hiss or hum since it can be such a pain to get rid of in recording once it's there.

I have ears that look for it but as you say, once you know it's there, you end up always hearing it.

I really like the sound of the Grados on high output impedance btw. They almost become a different headphone and I forget how uncomfortable the bowls are when listening this way.

I'm surprised no Grado fans have found this yet.

Dec 23, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #513 of 1,838

You really think an aluminum chassis would add that much to the Polaris? I personally don't care at all whether the amp is encased in metal or plastic or whatever and actually prefer the plexiglass myself, because being able to see the electronics is super cool. (And I really don't like how the Schiit amps look either. For aluminum chassis, I've always preferred the HeadAmp aesthetic over everything else.)

IMO, most of the reason G1217 flies under the radar compared to Schiit is because Schiit has tons of marketing. And I don't mean the "word of mouth" on Head-Fi per se—Schiit actively markets their stuff around the Internet and at audio shows, and Jason Stoddard has a well-publicized blog on Head-Fi too, which is featured on the main page every time he posts an update. Compared to that, G1217 has practically nothing in terms of marketing, just the avid fans on a small number of online forums (mostly just here and DIY Audio).

G1217 could take off if Jeremy put even a little bit of effort into marketing, like at least attending the Phoenix AZ meets regularly and sending loaner amps to major meets around the country. If he has the spare time, things could really take off if he started traveling to the major meets in the country....

Not really but if Jeremy wants to make money even if it costs him less, why not? The sound and features do warrant a heftier price tag after all. Maybe on the metal chassis version all the jumpers would go to switches?

As long as the plexi versions stay the same price of course
wink.gif
I like the clear top with the LED

Dec 23, 2014 at 5:08 PM Post #514 of 1,838
It's possible for an optional metal chassis to include a see through top plate too.
wink.gif

I really hope to see this option sometime in the (near) future.

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #515 of 1,838
I have two. One came with some earbuds that I bought years ago and another is a cheap junky one, that I use to get rid of amp hiss on a cheap portable dab. This is the cheap one. It has a volume control so you can adjust the volume to the point where the hiss completely goes. The one that came with some (expensive) earbuds has no control. This is the cheap one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-Headphone-Adapter-adapter-airline/dp/B001P5HL3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419237168&sr=8-1&keywords=Headphone+attenuators

Also, Mike (Pink Floyd on RG) kindly made a full sized adapter for me a few years ago on a patch lead.

Attenuating the input side of the amp doesn't stop it. It remains constant; even on zero volume. However, it's SO slight that most wouldn't notice tbh. It's just that I can't help hearing tiny buzzes, clicks or hisses in recordings because I tend to look out for them in my work.

I just avoid using low impedance headphones tbh. I use a Neco Bossfet which isn't as goo if it bothers me, but normally, I'd use the bigger headphones. It's just Grado people I'm thinking of since they are very sensitive to noise. I have a few Grados myself and boy, do they point hiss out on anything!!!

Interesting. The only Grados that I have are old SR 80s. I hear no hiss with the Polaris. I plugged in my Re 600s and still hear nothing. Of course my amp is not your amp...and my ears are not your ears.
My RF environment is not your RF environment... my power supply is not your power supply.. lots of differences.

Of course, with the RE 400s, the background noise on a GO 450 made me crazy... so I am sensitive to some level of background noise. Apparently much higher levels than my Polaris exhibits!

The thing is, when using the Geek Out 450, I really noticed nothing objectionable when actually listening to music. True, I don't fixate on that kind of thing as apparently you do. The point is, I don't think that most folks would hear any noise from a Polaris.. especially when actually listening to music.
That is the problem with this kind of thread... somebody says something is there for them... and all of a sudden everyone freaks out about it... curious, but true!

Dec 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM Post #516 of 1,838
Yeah I've not heard any hiss at all from my Polaris and I am sensitive to any noises that shouldn't be there. The Polaris is dead quiet unless I turn the volume to the max and at that point (music off of course) I can hear some noise. The noise is super low though compared to lets say my HK amp when doing the same thing.

The Ember on the other hand was dead silent even with the volume maxed out.

Dec 23, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #518 of 1,838
  Well...now I will try my Havi B6 and KEF M200s later tonight. You guys got me curious, of course the HE560 won't have said hiss. I don't recall my Senngrado headphones having them too, I'll bring that home as well to test.

Just to qualify what I said... I never even tried to hear noise with every thing maxed out. That is not the way I listen to music. I only tried to hear noise at a level that I would listen to music. Yeah, I Have some decent audio gear... I don't recall anything that I have had access to that I could not hear...something... at max volume with my ear jammed into a speaker... never ever over many years of screwing with this stuff!
If I turned on some source at that level... it would have broken my ear drums...

Dec 24, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #520 of 1,838
To clarify. It's minute. It also doesn't move with the volume control. You can hear it at zero and it gets no louder with volume. In order to hear it, I disconnect the headphone while wearing them and then you are aware that it's gone!! The room needs to be dead quiet.

It wouldn't interfere with normal listening but a very sharp eared Grado user might just spot it and I know there are many Grado people here. Most people would tune it out. (Like tinnitus)

I don't fixate on the noise though. (God forbid) however, my job kind of makes me 'look' for it. You're just aware that it's switched on, that's all.

One thing I could try though is upping the output impedance on 32 ohm headphones. That might get rid of it totally perhaps. Mind you, I rarely use low impedance headphones on any of them in any case tbh.

I was going to talk to Frans about it, but tbh, it's so low level that it's not really worth it.

Dec 24, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #521 of 1,838
I switched the output impedance! and The hiss has entirely gone. So, with low impedance headphones it is necessary if you want to totally eliminate noise to slightly raise the output impedance. Tbh, Grado headphone sound also improves imo.

I've also found that taking the jumpers off entirely eliminates it.

I've contacted Frans who will be able to explain what is happening.

Let me repeat though, we're talking good quality studio microphone levels of hiss......

ie; Very low. Just if you want 'inky' black silence on low impedance headphones!!

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #522 of 1,838
I switched the output impedance! and The hiss has entirely gone. So, with low impedance headphones it is necessary if you want to totally eliminate noise to slightly raise the output impedance. Tbh, Grado headphone sound also improves imo.

Let me repeat though, we're talking good quality studio microphone levels of hiss......

ie; Very low. Just if you want 'inky' black silence on low impedance headphones!!

Any effect on the sound? Generally I find increasing the output impedance lowers the volume and warms up the sound a bit-which may or may not be a good thing, depending on the recording and the headphones in question. I wonder if removing the jumpers defaults to high output impedance.

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #523 of 1,838

I tried to learn about 'hiss' a few months ago and found it terribly complicated. There isn't even a definition to ensure everyone is talking about the same thing. I completely acknowledge the very quiet hiss you describe as I have heard the identical noise. I presumed it's the noise of the current in the circuit being high due to the low impedance of the phones, coupled with such phones often having relatively high sensitivity. Doubtless it's much more complicated than that- it will be interesting to learn what Frans says.

Dec 24, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #525 of 1,838
On the he560 the middle impedance setting seem to add a nice decay effect, making the Polaris mimic a tube almost.
Any effect on the sound? Generally I find increasing the output impedance lowers the volume and warms up the sound a bit-which may or may not be a good thing, depending on the recording and the headphones in question. I wonder if removing the jumpers defaults to high output impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back