New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Dec 22, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #496 of 1,838
1.  ditto on Polaris not having the hype train of Schist amps.  too bad actually.  someone on FS forum is selling a Polaris and stated he'd trade for an Asgard 2.  pfft.

Looked in the FS section but didn't find this - could you post a link?

My Asgurd 2 has been sitting cold since my Ember arrived and a Polaris would be nice at work.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #497 of 1,838
There you go, but i think text is in Europe.

That person is me. The Polaris doesn't create a lot of interest and the Asgard 2 does on the For Sale/For Trade forums. So that would mean I could try out the Asgard 2 and then sell it. I'm really after a tube amp. Would love to have the Project Ember if anyone is interested in a trade. Maybe someone wants solid state instead of tubes. :popcorn:

Looked in the FS section but didn't find this - could you post a link?

My Asgurd 2 has been sitting cold since my Ember arrived and a Polaris would be nice at work.

Dec 22, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #498 of 1,838
1. What little headphone attenuator adapters do you use? I relocated a pair of 3.5mm 12dB and -24dB made via iFi for their nano product, will be trying those Tuesday.

2. instead of attenuator adapters on headphone out, why not try the different incoming attenuator modules in location C17 on the Polaris board?
Would the location difference of attenuation change sonic quality less/more ?

I have two. One came with some earbuds that I bought years ago and another is a cheap junky one, that I use to get rid of amp hiss on a cheap portable dab. This is the cheap one. It has a volume control so you can adjust the volume to the point where the hiss completely goes. The one that came with some (expensive) earbuds has no control. This is the cheap one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shure-Headphone-Adapter-adapter-airline/dp/B001P5HL3S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419237168&sr=8-1&keywords=Headphone+attenuators

Also, Mike (Pink Floyd on RG) kindly made a full sized adapter for me a few years ago on a patch lead.

Attenuating the input side of the amp doesn't stop it. It remains constant; even on zero volume. However, it's SO slight that most wouldn't notice tbh. It's just that I can't help hearing tiny buzzes, clicks or hisses in recordings because I tend to look out for them in my work.

I just avoid using low impedance headphones tbh. I use a Neco Bossfet which isn't as goo if it bothers me, but normally, I'd use the bigger headphones. It's just Grado people I'm thinking of since they are very sensitive to noise. I have a few Grados myself and boy, do they point hiss out on anything!!!

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #499 of 1,838
Seriously, if Jeremy put the Polaris inside a nice aluminum chassis everyone would be losing their Schiit over them. (See what I did there?)  Anyways welcome to the club and enjoy one of the most undervalued/under-rated amps on the market.

You really think an aluminum chassis would add that much to the Polaris? I personally don't care at all whether the amp is encased in metal or plastic or whatever and actually prefer the plexiglass myself, because being able to see the electronics is super cool. (And I really don't like how the Schiit amps look either. For aluminum chassis, I've always preferred the HeadAmp aesthetic over everything else.)

IMO, most of the reason G1217 flies under the radar compared to Schiit is because Schiit has tons of marketing. And I don't mean the "word of mouth" on Head-Fi per se—Schiit actively markets their stuff around the Internet and at audio shows, and Jason Stoddard has a well-publicized blog on Head-Fi too, which is featured on the main page every time he posts an update. Compared to that, G1217 has practically nothing in terms of marketing, just the avid fans on a small number of online forums (mostly just here and DIY Audio).

G1217 could take off if Jeremy put even a little bit of effort into marketing, like at least attending the Phoenix AZ meets regularly and sending loaner amps to major meets around the country. If he has the spare time, things could really take off if he started traveling to the major meets in the country....

Dec 22, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #500 of 1,838
I think Jeremy works a full time job though so traveling for meets and such might be hard. I'm pretty sure Garage1217 is a part time job for him but I could be wrong.

I agree though that if he had the time to do it his amps would be more popular. I also agree that if they shipped in enclosed cases more people would be attracted to them and lastly I agree that the amps look killer as they are. But I think we might be the minority. If or when he does release an enclosure I will be first in line to buy one. I am having a hard time dealing with the dust lol. I use a cover but I have to admit I'd prefer not to.

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #501 of 1,838
So, Polaris has hiss with sensitive headphones? Is it audible within normal listening levels or above them?

Dec 22, 2014 at 6:15 AM Post #502 of 1,838
No. At normal levels, you really wouldn't be aware of hiss. It's extremely low level and is there at zero volume. It's just that my ear tends to focus on tiny things like this as a matter of habit.

That's why I'm saying that higher impedance headphones are better with it. You get nothing then. Grado headphones show it ..... Just.

You have to hold your breath and make sure you're in a quiet room. It's easier to hear if you pull the plug out while the headphone is on your head. Then you become aware that it stopped.

Tbh, it really is nothing but someone mentioning that they were plugging an iem into it made me say that noise would be an issue. (And he found that it was)

In fact, it surprises me that people would want to use an iem at 16 ohms with one tbh. Just a mention because I know that there are lots of Grado users who may find similar if they have bat's hearing like me.

You could even mistake it for a form of tinnitus and think that it's your ears hissing. It's EXTREMLY low and nothing to worry about.

With higher impedance headphones, it doesn't exist.

Dec 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #503 of 1,838
I would love to see a metal case, but I would like the top of the chassis to be clear so we can see a little bit of the insides.
cool.gif

Dec 22, 2014 at 9:57 AM Post #505 of 1,838
No. At normal levels, you really wouldn't be aware of hiss. It's extremely low level and is there at zero volume. It's just that my ear tends to focus on tiny things like this as a matter of habit.

That's why I'm saying that higher impedance headphones are better with it. You get nothing then. Grado headphones show it ..... Just.

You have to hold your breath and make sure you're in a quiet room. It's easier to hear if you pull the plug out while the headphone is on your head. Then you become aware that it stopped.

Tbh, it really is nothing but someone mentioning that they were plugging an iem into it made me say that noise would be an issue. (And he found that it was)

In fact, it surprises me that people would want to use an iem at 16 ohms with one tbh. Just a mention because I know that there are lots of Grado users who may find similar if they have bat's hearing like me.

You could even mistake it for a form of tinnitus and think that it's your ears hissing. It's EXTREMLY low and nothing to worry about.

With higher impedance headphones, it doesn't exist.

Thanks for the answer. Do you hear hiss with O2 as well?

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #506 of 1,838
No. The O2 is one of the quietest I've heard. It's not as powerful as the Ember or Polaris. In all honesty, I find the sound a little 'thin' with it though.

The reason the O2 is so quiet is to do with the way that the gain is set up. It can lead to more distortion so you have to be careful how much is going in.

I prefer the Ember and Polaris to the O2.

Dec 23, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #509 of 1,838
  So, Polaris has hiss with sensitive headphones? Is it audible within normal listening levels or above them?

found my 3.5mm -24dB attenuator (made by iFi vendor), plugged it into Polaris and using with NAD HP50 headphone.
Polaris on low gain, no music playing, volume knob max -  no hiss or air!
(even held my breathe and closed my eyes.)  
wink.gif

plugged in my sensitive IEMs (UM3X   124 dB/mW), and again volume knob cranked- no hiss or air!
dead black background.  sounds great with these IEMs by the way, not as recessed of a sound.

looking forward to Jeremy's inbound attenuator modules to slot into C18 on the board once they arrive.

Dec 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #510 of 1,838
Yes, the attenuator in front of the headphone kills it stone dead. It's not bad, but a matter of time before someone notices it; especially if they're using iem devices with it. I just stay with higher impedance headphones though and use something else for Grados.

I don't want to give the wrong impression though. With Grados, it's BARELY there. It's just my own ocd habits with regards to noise..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back