New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Dec 21, 2014 at 4:42 AM Post #481 of 1,838
Yes, I think it may be on the way in any case. The other consideration is non USA people who face import tax as well, so for us in the UK for instance, we have to add 20% to the cost with the postage as well and the added weight.

It has always puzzled me (although there must be a reason) why goods sold from non EU countries have basically two sets of taxes on them. We have to pay US tax as well as UK plus postage. It's a pity that exports can't be sold duty free, but then the receiver's own country taxes are added.

So the added cost will also add a bit more tax and perhaps postage due to the weight.

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #482 of 1,838

1.  ditto on Polaris not having the hype train of Schist amps.  too bad actually.  someone on FS forum is selling a Polaris and stated he'd trade for an Asgard 2.  pfft.

2. yes, incoming line attenuator.  C17 on the board schematics.

That person is me. The Polaris doesn't create a lot of interest and the Asgard 2 does on the For Sale/For Trade forums. So that would mean I could try out the Asgard 2 and then sell it. I'm really after a tube amp. Would love to have the Project Ember if anyone is interested in a trade. Maybe someone wants solid state instead of tubes. 
popcorn.gif

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #483 of 1,838
I think you'd be stepping backwards in sq by going to the as2 but that's just imo. I know someone who's had the as2, Polaris and Ember at the same time and the g1217 amps were a clear level above asg2. All using the he560 as hps.

Maybe someone will trade you outright with one of the older models but I think you'd have to sweeten the trade to go to an ember.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #484 of 1,838
I think you'd be stepping backwards in sq by going to the as2 but that's just imo. I know someone who's had the as2, Polaris and Ember at the same time and the g1217 amps were a clear level above asg2. All using the he560 as hps.

Maybe someone will trade you outright with one of the older models but I think you'd have to sweeten the trade to go to an ember.

I know I might/would, but I could sell the Asgard 2 easier than the Polaris. Schiit just is a more household name than Garage1217. Plan is to get the Ember anyways. I will add money of course since the Ember is more expensive new. 

Dec 21, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #485 of 1,838
  I know I might/would, but I could sell the Asgard 2 easier than the Polaris. Schiit just is a more household name than Garage1217. Plan is to get the Ember anyways. I will add money of course since the Ember is more expensive new. 

i have an Ember.... With all the possibilities that is included and the sound ... i thanks each day Jeremy for this marvel at this price....  and no reviewer with these numerous possibilities to tweak the sound can have any negative i think in his right mind... The only upgrade possible is to pay one thousand dollars for more...No two ember sounded the same, pairing with this or that, with all the particular adjustment possible.....And i prefer the  open design because for the eyes with the choice of colours in the night i enjoy the sight of this new star in my room....

Dec 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #488 of 1,838
Both actually. I think they are better as far as noise levels go, although I have seen on here somewhere that someone plugs an iem into one of them and complains about noise.

I guess if you want to get rid of the noise, then an attenuation filter on the headphone plug would knock it on the head.

The noise shows on Grados for instance. It's a very low level hiss that higher impedance headphones won't produce. The Ember has the potential to be worse with a poor tube as well.

Dec 21, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #490 of 1,838

I had a Lyr 2 here on a local try to buy deal. I had a Sunrise III to A-B with it. I ended up returning it and buying a second Sunrise III for my work setup instead. Even with multitude of tubes that I have got for the Sunrise, since I got the Polaris I have been using it just about exclusively in my home setup.

I use it with my Hd 650, He 400i hp50, X1... etc. The Polaris just makes me smile when listening.

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #491 of 1,838
I don't have trouble with noise with the Polaris at all.

Try a dead quiet room. Put your headphones on with them plugged in and pull the plug out. You may notice just how low level it is, but just there with Grados.

Both give a tiny hiss on low impedance, but it needs to be very quiet to hear it.

I'm ocd about noise.

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #492 of 1,838
Would love to see the option for a metal chassis. I'm actually kind of holding out a purchase partly beacuse of this. Maybe a DIY project?

Dec 21, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #493 of 1,838
Try a dead quiet room. Put your headphones on with them plugged in and pull the plug out. You may notice just how low level it is, but just there with Grados.

Both give a tiny hiss on low impedance, but it needs to be very quiet to hear it.

I'm ocd about noise.

Ok, yes you may hear some hiss when music is not playing, which is very headphone dependent.
But that does not make the Polaris a noisy amp IMO.

My sensitive UM3X 124 db/mW have some hiss with volume up without music,
But that's likely due to more power than needed coming from amp, even on low gain.

Talk to Jeremy about that inbound attenuation module that can be swapped in/out on the rear of the board. C17 location.
Once I get lower power modules inserted, will report back on changes to background hiss.

Not pairing with Polaris with IEMs for long term, just awaiting cash for 400i or Oppo PM3 in 2015...

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #494 of 1,838
No, it's not a noisy amp. What I'm describing is something I listen out for as part of my work so I'm very 'attuned' to it. It's extremely low and only heard on low impedance headphones. I've heard worse from other amps.

I get rid of it by having attenuation on the headphone socket. Little adapters. That eliminates it.

I have both the Ember and Polaris and you know, I couldn't easily choose between them. The Ember has a slightly more entertaining sound, but I also like the relative cleanness of the Polaris as well.

They're the only two amps I use nowadays tbh.

I use mainly Beyer dt990 and 770 with them. Also modified Fostex t40 and AKG612. Plus hd600 and 650. All sound great with them.

For low impedance, I've been using an O2 and a Neco bossfet which has much less gain.

Dec 21, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #495 of 1,838
1. What little headphone attenuator adapters do you use? I relocated a pair of 3.5mm 12dB and -24dB made via iFi for their nano product, will be trying those Tuesday.

2. instead of attenuator adapters on headphone out, why not try the different incoming attenuator modules in location C17 on the Polaris board?
Would the location difference of attenuation change sonic quality less/more ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back