New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Oct 16, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #334 of 1,838
  Let me add my 2 cents to the conversation:
1- Jeremy is the most responsive to consumer inquiries person I've ever dealt with
2 -I own 3 G1217 Amps all gems
3 - The Polaris is amazing with my HE 400s just bypass the input attenuator
4- I love rolling LEDs in the Polaris try some Amp orange globes

He sure is. Bypassing the attenuator using low gain is a great idea for the lowest noise floor. I have the orange one right now. Love it :D

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #335 of 1,838
I think I recall reading something to the effect that you shouldn't modify or alter the LED on the O2 amp because it was actually being used in the signal path as a diode. Or something. (Note that I'm talking about the O2 amp here. I raise this just as a curiosity/trivial point that in some cases, LED swapping is bad.) 

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:40 AM Post #336 of 1,838

I'm thinking of getting the Polaris to pair with my HE-400s but am a bit confused about what you mean by "just bypass the input attenuator".  If you get a chance could you elaborate what this means?  

Oct 18, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #337 of 1,838
In addition to gain adjustments the Polaris has a pin that in the default position attenuates the the signal from the line out of the source I'm guessing it's just a resistor This setting can be adjusted by moving the jumper to bypass position. This will give additional gain helpful for Planer hp like the 400.
I think the attenuator helps with iems
The Polaris with the 400 is a great pairing lotsa detail .
If you chk the G1217 website download the manual for the P all the jumper pin adjustments are explained  I found the default settings perfect except I moved to attenuator to bypass for the 400s

Oct 20, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #338 of 1,838
Yes, and you can change the input attenuation, further, by creating your own resistor modules and simply slotting them in to replace the one provided if that doesn't suit the sensitivity of your headphones.

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #340 of 1,838
I hope I didn't start something here, the color rolling and sound was just a joke. The led plays no factor in sound

That's true, but I think colour can be important from a psycho acoustic viewpoint.
There's quite a lot of information about colour and musical intervals and keys, and some classical composers did link musical key to colour.
I choose a darker blue/purple colour in my Horizon and Polaris when listening to melancholy music compared to bright orange or red for more lively sound. For me, colour does help in creating the mood and ambience surrounding the music and that's one of the reasons Garage amps are so appealing to me.
Of course, if you listen to music with your eyes closed, or fall asleep, it doesn't matter.
o2smile.gif

Oct 20, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #341 of 1,838
  That's true, but I think colour can be important from a psycho acoustic viewpoint.
There's quite a lot of information about colour and musical intervals and keys, and some classical composers did link musical key to colour.
I choose a darker blue/purple colour in my Horizon and Polaris when listening to melancholy music compared to bright orange or red for more lively sound. For me, colour does help in creating the mood and ambience surrounding the music and that's one of the reasons Garage amps are so appealing to me.
Of course, if you listen to music with your eyes closed, or fall asleep, it doesn't matter.
o2smile.gif

even with your eyes closed, the extra treble & brightness of the bright orange LED is very apparent.

# trust yo ears!!!

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #342 of 1,838
If I wear a Bermuda shirt while I listen, I end up so cheerful, even when listening to Mahler. A trick that I learned from Tyll.

Also, try eating a Chinese takeaway while listening to Indian Music. It's amazing how the flavours become almost Thai like.

Oct 20, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #343 of 1,838
If I wear a Bermuda shirt while I listen, I end up so cheerful, even when listening to Mahler. A trick that I learned from Tyll.

Also, try eating a Chinese takeaway while listening to Indian Music. It's amazing how the flavours become almost Thai like.

Mahler always makes me feel happy, whatever I wear or whatever colour the led, because I always feel that I couldn't ever be as depressed as he was!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back