New from Garage1217, the solid-state Project Polaris!
Apr 21, 2016 at 2:05 PM Post #1,366 of 1,838
So I'm fully aware that the Polaris is a headphone amp, but i just ordered an Overnight Sensations speaker kit and im curious if the polaris pre-amp will be enough to power them or if I should get a $50-100 dedicated speaker amp. Suggestions?

P.S. do u guys think dark stained wood on speakers looks good. Can't decide how to finish the speaker boxes

of course NOT- It is a headphone amp with preamp outputs.  There is no speaker amp.

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #1,368 of 1,838
  Okay so now my plan is to go:

Computer--->Modi2U--->Polaris Pre-Amp---> 2.1 Speaker amp--->Overnight Sensations

This should be good right?

power amp is really what you need - speaker amp is a vague term and could mean either power amp or integrated amp (an integrated amp will work fine, but use the preamp inputs on it instead of one of the normal inputs)

but yeah that'll work fine
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:40 PM Post #1,370 of 1,838
that would work and you could leave the Polaris out altogether for a shorter signal path and less interconnects since the smsl has a volume control.  Not sure about smsl quality or reliability, but it is inexpensive.   I had a Trends t-amp that beat Emotiva 100 power amp and a nice tube integrated for sound quality.  And it was 10 watts.

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #1,371 of 1,838
I could, but I like how the Polaris has the speaker pass-through while no headphones are plugged in. I tend to swap between my headphones/speakers often and that feature makes it easy to use the Polaris for speaker and headphone volume. My plan is to set the knob on the SMSL and then don't touch it

May 14, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #1,372 of 1,838
Made a move on a used Polaris.  Intend to compare it to my Vali 1.  Both will be fed by foobar2000 FLAC files (WASAPI - event mode) through my Modi 2.  My HD580 and HD600 will be the cans in play.

May 14, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #1,373 of 1,838
Nice choice! I think you'll like it :p
Half the fun is playing with the different jumpers and finding what sounds best for different headphones
I recommend checking out the manual and figuring out exactly what the jumpers do.
Also do you know if you got an AGRESSIVE or MELLOW variant?

May 14, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #1,374 of 1,838
  Made a move on a used Polaris.  Intend to compare it to my Vali 1.  Both will be fed by foobar2000 FLAC files (WASAPI - event mode) through my Modi 2.  My HD580 and HD600 will be the cans in play.

Nice one man!

Definitely curious to hear your thoughts on it, and the X3 thru it, cause I know you'll try that too eventually :wink:

I sold my Polaris a couple months ago to get one of G1217's tube amps, but I've been wanting to switch back to the mellow Polaris, so I'll probably end up buying one again, maybe if I see a used one pop up too.

May 14, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #1,375 of 1,838

I made that move quite some time back. It's a dramatic difference IMO. Tinker with the settings quite a bit to find what you want. 

May 14, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #1,376 of 1,838
Not sure... the seller thinks it's the agressive.  I would have preferred mellow since I'll be running HD580 and HD600 cans.

May 14, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #1,377 of 1,838
You can send it in to G1217 and they'll adjust it to mellow for free (you've got to pay postage of course) if you don't like aggressive.

They way you'll know is if the medium bandwidth option sounds too rolled off for you - the mellow on low bandwidth is less rolled off than aggressive on medium bandwidth.

May 14, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #1,378 of 1,838

Nice one man!

Definitely curious to hear your thoughts on it, and the X3 thru it, cause I know you'll try that too eventually :wink:

I sold my Polaris a couple months ago to get one of G1217's tube amps, but I've been wanting to switch back to the mellow Polaris, so I'll probably end up buying one again, maybe if I see a used one pop up too.

Interesting.  Thought you were looking at a Horizon III.  

I opted for the Polaris for two reasons:  (1) it's said to have some tube SQ characteristics and (2) I'm getting too old to mess with tube rolling 
biggrin.gif

Haven't run my xDuoo X3 through the Vali 1 yet. Interesting thought about trying the Polaris with it... certainly not a portable set up but still....

May 14, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #1,379 of 1,838

I made that move quite some time back. It's a dramatic difference IMO. Tinker with the settings quite a bit to find what you want. 

I did indeed read your posts about your move from Vali 1 to the Polaris.   What settings are you finding the most favor with?  Not sure what cans you're using though....

May 14, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #1,380 of 1,838

Interesting.  Thought you were looking at a Horizon III.  

I opted for the Polaris for two reasons:  91) it's said to have some tube SQ characteristics and (2) I'm getting too old to mess with tube rolling 
biggrin.gif

Haven't run my X3 through the Vali 1 yet. Interesting thought about trying the Polaris with it... certainly not a portable set up but still....

I am, but  tube rolling is a lot of effort yeah.... and tubes are fragile, as you know. Not that I was ever rough with my amps... It definitely does have tube SQ characteristics and I miss the one I used to have a lot :wink:

I ran my X3 thru a g1217 for the first time when my computer broke down and I was fixing it and was using the Polaris as a stereo preamp at the time. Plugged in the X3 and had a great time driving my stereo with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back