New Forum Complaints
May 8, 2010 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Towert7

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Jude and all others interested.

You asked for feedback on the forum if there were things we did not like, so I would like to offer my advice.

I am having a hell of a time navigating the site.  Things do not seem logically organized for me.  I seem to be flooded with a wide range of content anywhere I go in on this website.  Products this, wiki that, rate this, vote that, invite friends this, "
Hey There!
Glad to see that you're making your way around our community! Do you know if any of your friends are here? Look for friends." that, reviews this, who's online that...... all on the same page........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH  this drives me crazy.  where is the focused content?  Where is the logic, the flow, the simplicity.  Gone, all gone.

The forum apperance is too large now.  There is too much fluff padding all throughout the forum, too many boxy items.  Text defaults to too large a value.  There are huge spacings between different elements.

Here is a typical example of the spacing / large stuff problem in action:

Just look at how random it looks.  Look at how much random white space there is in between elements.  It's way to big.  The amount of content I can look at at any one point in time is very small, which makes the new website hard for readability.
Speaking of large text, it makes me feel like I should make my font be 72px simply to overcome the large fonts used on the website.  Old version of head-fi, pretty  much all text was the same size.  Now, the users text is much smaller than most other text.  Maybe I should switch over to 72px, so others will be able to easily and clearly see my text from the rest of the forum.

Another thing I do not like is the 'rating' feature for posts.  That is childish.  Head-fi used to be a forum that had a somewhat mature air about it, especially when you compare it to other forums such as hardforum.com, or other social websites.  Adding a 'rating' feature for individual posts brings the forum down to the level of a teenager.  It gives the feeling that head-fi is trying to copy models of websites like youtube or facebook.  This is a feature I would be happy to see removed.  I also think it could serve to alienate the original audiance that head-fi had, specifically those interested in headphone related stuff.  I know personally I feel very put off by the new forum methodology.

Another thing I would like to see removed is 'what users want'.  Like hell!  Some computer program telling me what 'users' want?  Let me find out what users want on my own, by reading users comments, etc.  This sort of stuff seems very invasive, and makes me less likely to want to revisit the website.  I'm a smart person, so when things state things like "hey, would you like to..." or "others like this, perhaps you will to?" it bugs me.

Another thing I would like to see removed is the 'recent reviews'.  If I'm interested in reading reviews, I'll go to the review section.  This simply becomes distracting fluff when reading the regular forum pages.  I think this is a straight forward problem.

May 9, 2010 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 53
I can tell the 72px font, along with text spacing, is messed up.

Also, I wanted my image to be viewed at 100%.  Head-fi obviously thought I didn't want to do this, and resized the photo for me.

To view the full size photo, please see:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4024/4590982266_30c0070a5a_o.jpg

Another problem, is when I pulled the little 'pull' thing near the bottom right of the enter text box, it made the box bigger, but it was cut off.  That's a glitch of some sort.

How much HTML formating can we add?  Can we add in javascript?
I prefered the old formatting, because it was very simple and didn't allow people to change the forum that much.  Giving HTML access is giving too much power to the users.  I would remove HTML formating and go back to the BBL (or what ever it was called).

May 9, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 53
I made another thread about it, but It's worth mentioning again that I miss the UserCP area.
I was told the 'home' tab was the new thing to use, but I miss my UserCP area.

May 9, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 53
Really dislike the fact that the forum breaks Chrome's spelling correction feature..

May 9, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 53
Even if you did kind of freak out a bit. I would have to agree with a lot of what you just stated. Because of the change, i look at this site differently now, and i really don't know why yet. It's just not the same anymore. It may flashy, but come on this is a forum, not some high tech company trying to sell a product. The simpler the better. What, do forums have to "improve" now too, since facebook and myspace had a recent remodel? I think a lot of the members here can also see that it's really losing the interest of members, just today i was looking at the the different sections of the forum all day, and for some the number of viewers in that particular section is now cut in half. I love this website, but i'll have to pass if this keeps up. I used to enjoy going on here and posting, but ever since the change i think i'll use it as a reference from now on. 

May 9, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #8 of 53
Aarrgg.  

I can no longer "embed image" or "embed thumbnail" function from Imageshack to post pictures.
Anybody have a workaround?

May 9, 2010 at 2:05 AM Post #9 of 53
My only problem is that on my HTC incredible android phone and on my itouch both you can not see the first and last page choice  when on your home page looking at your subscriptions.   On the computer, it lights up when you put the cursor to the right side of the box giving you the opportunity to go to the first or last page of the thread.  On the phone and touch this is not the case and you are stuck with your main reading selections, unable to navigate to the last page.  If you choose the thread you itself you appear to end up on the first page and then have to navigate to current discussion.  

So you are doing this on a cell phone connection or if possible wifi but is generally a slower process than with the computer and it takes forever and is a bit frustrating.....the problem is, some frustrating stuff stops being frustrating when you figure it out but this is with it figured out, there isn't a fix that we can do with those devices unless they fix the site to accommodate them.  At work I don't have easy access to a computer unless I drag my laptop which i only do once a week which makes using the site difficult or just not worth it I'm afraid.....kinda a bummer.  

Hopefully they will fix this glitch or way they have the cp/homepage set up in the subscription area.

May 9, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #12 of 53
May 9, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #13 of 53
I always liked typing in the formatting tags like
manually for the hell of it.

Now I can just use regular HTML code, lol.

982376234897.jpg

May 9, 2010 at 3:22 AM Post #14 of 53
When Jude first talked about the new upcoming change I was quite excited.
But I did expect the new platform to be at least on part feature wise with the old one. But this new one have WAY too many regressions. To a point that it is almost unusable for me.

I have been a faithful contributing member for years, but have my doubts I will renew it when it run out in a months time.

May 9, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #15 of 53
It would seem that subscriptions do NOT work for me.

When I went to bed, I was the only one who posted in this thread.  I clicked on the home tab this morning, and saw no subscription activity.  I manually found my post, and noticed there were new posts in it.

I'm not sure why subscriptions do NOT work for me.

I am using firefox 2.0.0.8.

The only thing I ever see is the message: "We couldn't find any subscription activity. Try adding stuff to your list!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back