New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Jun 2, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #2,791 of 3,599
Quote:
To be honest, I have never tried Ultrasone. And for some reason I have a slight bias against them and haven't been that interested in acquiring any of their gear without hearing it first.

I think they're worth the effort to try them. They're easy to find in brick&mortar stores (at least over here anyway). I quite like my (lightly modded) PRO900 and I'm seriously considering the Signature PRO. I'm not trying to sell them to you or anything, it just occurred to me that they tick a lot of boxes that you seem to find important.

Jun 3, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #2,792 of 3,599
Dragonforce recordings are better than a lot of metal bands imo

And of course get the W3000! You can sell it for much higher price in a few years :wink:

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:05 PM Post #2,793 of 3,599
>talking about Power Metal
>Dragonforce

You all give me your Power Metal cards right now. Not a single mention of Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, or Hammerfall yet. Get out. 
wink.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #2,794 of 3,599
Quote:
>talking about Power Metal
>Dragonforce

You all give me your Power Metal cards right now. Not a single mention of Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, or Hammerfall yet. Get out. 
wink.gif

Not a fan of Dragonforce. I enjoy Nightwish and Sonata Arctica the most. Blind Guardian and Rhapsody are fun too  

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #2,795 of 3,599
Just ribbing you a bit. Rhapsody is a favorite of mine along with those others, Nightwish, Demons & Wizards, Pyramaze, Thalion, etc.

Tops are probably Hammerfall, Nightwish, and Demons & Wizards (kind of cheating because they're the BG IE super group).
Quote:
Not a fan of Dragonforce. I enjoy Nightwish and Sonata Arctica the most. Blind Guardian and Rhapsody are fun too  

Jun 3, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #2,796 of 3,599
Who called DragonForce power metal?

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #2,797 of 3,599
I have the LF, but I find that the ATH W3000ANV sounds better straight from the headphone out of my Antelope Zodiac Gold and Weiss DAC202.

Maybe it is just the tubes - I am using vintage Telefunken CCa's on the LF. With the LCD3, the Telefunkens are even better sounding than the Siemens CCa's which are highly recommended, but the sound of the ATH W3000ANV just does not quite match very well. CertainlyI won't want to change tubes every time I listen to the ATH3000ANV, or buy another LF just to use a different set of tubes, so plugging into the headphone out of the LF is the only solution.

I have also been using the W3000ANV for daily commute lately. This morning I am wearing my W3000ANV using a portable iPhone-Fostex-SR71A combo (which is hidden in my Burberry suitcase) on the MTR (the sub / underground in Hong Kong). A kid walked by wearing BEATS BY DR DRE and turned around at me and had that look of he is using something superior to mine. Well, who knows, may be true. :p 

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #2,798 of 3,599
You actually must have been a sight wearing those on the MTR....
wink_face.gif

I have been back and forth on and off the trigger with these for the last week.  Today was the closest i have come but decided it I wouldn't lose any shipping time by waiting till the morning.

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #2,799 of 3,599
Quote:
I have the LF, but I find that the ATH W3000ANV sounds better straight from the headphone out of my Antelope Zodiac Gold and Weiss DAC202.

Maybe it is just the tubes - I am using vintage Telefunken CCa's on the LF. With the LCD3, the Telefunkens are even better sounding than the Siemens CCa's which are highly recommended, but the sound of the ATH W3000ANV just does not quite match very well. CertainlyI won't want to change tubes every time I listen to the ATH3000ANV, or buy another LF just to use a different set of tubes, so plugging into the headphone out of the LF is the only solution.

I have also been using the W3000ANV for daily commute lately. This morning I am wearing my W3000ANV using a portable iPhone-Fostex-SR71A combo (which is hidden in my Burberry suitcase) on the MTR (the sub / underground in Hong Kong). A kid walked by wearing BEATS BY DR DRE and turned around at me and had that look of he is using something superior to mine. Well, who knows, may be true. :p 

your burberry suit case no less...
wink.gif

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #2,801 of 3,599
Quote:

Isn't UV bad for the lacquer...

You better make sure the whole trip is underground.

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #2,802 of 3,599
Mostly underground - in Hong Kong, many buildings in the commercial districts are connected to MTR stations directly, and I work in one of them.

Anyway, back to the W3000ANV. The bass is a bit light with portable gear. Wondering how could the Zodiac Gold and Weiss DAC202 sound that good on them. The voltage gain at the headphone outs can also be adjusted on the DACs. My friends find them very engaging to listen to, and actually prefer the Weiss DAC202 -> ATH W3000ANV combo over my Antelope Zodiac Gold -> Liquid Fire -> LCD3 combo. I do not agree, but I guess both rigs have been reasonably set up, and any preference is just a matter of taste.

Jun 4, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #2,803 of 3,599
Quote:

Oh man how do you survive the heat?! Today's my first day of internship and I nearly died on the way there...If I see another person wearing the W3000ANV in the morning I'll say hi :p

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #2,804 of 3,599
Quote:

I can't imagine wanting to wear the ATH-W3000ANV as a portable.  Risk of damage is too high.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back