New Flagship from Audio-Technica: ATH-W3000ANV, 50th Anniversary Headphones
Nov 19, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #199 of 3,599

Quote:
I can't answer that, as I don't have anything to compare my setup with until the HA5000 comes in, and I haven't heard the W1000X on any other equipment. 

Well, I wasn't really looking for anything substantive. Just a general "do you like the way it sounds?" sort of question. It's cool if you don't want to discuss it though.

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #200 of 3,599
Sorry, I didn't mean to be so abrupt.  I have posted on this previously in the W1000X appreciation thread.
smile.gif

Nov 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #201 of 3,599

Quote:

[size=medium]No I haven't. I have the W5000 and ESW9 by the way. I've never listened to the latter amped - don't think it needs it, but I've tried the former with the Leben and Sonett. I've also plugged it into some very nice integrated amps and CD players. I'm well acquainted with the W5000's reputation for being picky with amps and I think these claims are exaggerated. Yes, I've noticed changes in its presentation when plugging it into different sources, but they're not significant enough to alter the headphone's fundamental sound signature. It still sounds mid-centric and lacking in bass presence with rolled-off highs. Though detailed, it lacks the transparency of my open headphones but it's a closed model so that's to be expected. A[/size]nd dare I say it, I also detect some grain. Still, it's a lovely looking headphone. T[size=medium]hat's what makes A-T woodies so desirable and collectable no? I'm almost as beguiled by the W3000ANV's [/size]Asada Hokkaido cherry wood cups with Echizen traditional Japanese lacquer finish as you are, but not quite. I'm interested to see if it's overcome the W5000's sonic flaws.   

And some Head-Fi'ers are incredibly presumptuous. However, I am sceptical that a headphone as sensitive and easy to drive as an A-T can only be expected to perform at its best with an A-T or Yamamoto amp. This sounds like audiophile myth to me but if it is the least bit true, then it's extremely limiting and makes for a compelling argument to purchase an electrostatic system instead. One of the advantages of dynamic headphones over electrostats is that you have a wide range of ancillary gear to pair with them; not so the A-T woodies it would seem. 

Yeah, the finicky nature of Audio-Technicas is definitely a strike against them. I'm pretty skeptical myself when it comes to audiophile rigamarole; I don't believe in the radical differences people equate to burn-in or cables, for instance. I have, however, found the difference in the W5000's performance to be rather startling depending on the amp used. I own a Leben, and personally I would never pair the W5000 with them. I do however LOVE the W5000 when paired with my SPL Phonitor. I hear plenty of bass presence, crystalline but non-strident highs, and a holographic soundstage. The synergy with the HA-02 and HA5000 may be exaggerated in some accounts, but I still personally feel it elevates the W5000 several notches higher. Again: I'm not suggesting this is the least bit reasonable. It's actually quite UNreasonable when headphones are that picky. But the potential for the W5000 to shine is there, practicality aside. That seems like a fitting phrase for a hobby like ours--- "practicality aside."

Nov 19, 2011 at 4:56 PM Post #202 of 3,599

Quote:

And some Head-Fi'ers are incredibly presumptuous. However, I am sceptical that a headphone as sensitive and easy to drive as an A-T can only be expected to perform at its best with an A-T or Yamamoto amp. This sounds like audiophile myth to me but if it is the least bit true, then it's extremely limiting and makes for a compelling argument to purchase an electrostatic system instead. One of the advantages of dynamic headphones over electrostats is that you have a wide range of ancillary gear to pair with them; not so the A-T woodies it would seem. 

I'm presumptuous because I've met many veteran Head-fiers that just refuse to believe Audio Technica woodies are built for a specific amplifier (not that it won't sound good with others). I'm not part of the group that says, "you need a better amplifier for that headphone to truly shine." I use a cheap Stax SRM-323s for a reason, though I did compare with a KGSS. However, Audio Technica woodies are an exception. They are built in pairs with their amplifiers unlike other headphone manufacturers. A L3000 is meant to be paired with an HA3000; an W5000 with HA5000; an W2002 with HA2002; and there are rumors that Yamamoto designed the W1000 for Audio Technica to use with their HA-02 amplifier. You just need to listen to a W1000 on a neutral solid state amplifier to get the idea why I never recommend the W1000 without a warning. This pairing issue is probably why many members think that the W1000X is better than the W5000. The W1000X was meant to sound good even without a dedicated amplifier, but it seems Audio Technica believes the W5000 is the superior headphone.

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #203 of 3,599
If the ATH-W3000ANV sounds worse than my ATH-W1000X on my amplifier, I know what I'll get next. xD

Nov 19, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #204 of 3,599

Quote:

I'm presumptuous because I've met many veteran Head-fiers that just refuse to believe Audio Technica woodies are built for a specific amplifier (not that it won't sound good with others). I'm not part of the group that says, "you need a better amplifier for that headphone to truly shine." I use a cheap Stax SRM-323s for a reason, though I did compare with a KGSS. However, Audio Technica woodies are an exception. They are built in pairs with their amplifiers unlike other headphone manufacturers. A L3000 is meant to be paired with an HA3000; an W5000 with HA5000; an W2002 with HA2002; and there are rumors that Yamamoto designed the W1000 for Audio Technica to use with their HA-02 amplifier. You just need to listen to a W1000 on a neutral solid state amplifier to get the idea why I never recommend the W1000 without a warning. This pairing issue is probably why many members think that the W1000X is better than the W5000. The W1000X was meant to sound good even without a dedicated amplifier, but it seems Audio Technica believes the W5000 is the superior headphone.

Very true. Every top-tier AT combo, W2002 - HA2002, L3000 - HA3000 & W5000 - HA5000, they all meant to be paired up together for the best outcome. I believe this is AT's very design philosophy that applied on each of their flagship model. With their new "X series" (W1000X, A900X, A1000X, A2000X, etc), however, AT seems to take a new path. It is still unknown whether W3000anv take the newer path or retain their "AT tradition". We shall see.

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #206 of 3,599
OK, I finally have been able to spend a little time with the W3000ANV, having gotten back from Tokyo via an unexpected stop in Edmonton, Alberta (don't ask - wasn't good).

Very first impression out of the box was pretty mixed.  The FR was definitely on the bright side.  Mids seemed to have a bit if a cupped-hands coloration, and the treble was a bit hot, and the bass, while plenty deep, was lacking a little punch.

But the AT W1000X I used to have desperately needed about 120 hours break in, so I am keeping an open mind.  After about 24 hours break in I played them again just now, and already there was significantly more bass weight.  So the burn in process will continue.

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #207 of 3,599

Quote:
The X series still sounds superior on AT's own amps than most other amps I've tried.

More reason for me to spend a thou on an amp... =.="

Quote:
OK, I finally have been able to spend a little time with the W3000ANV, having gotten back from Tokyo via an unexpected stop in Edmonton, Alberta (don't ask - wasn't good).

Very first impression out of the box was pretty mixed.  The FR was definitely on the bright side.  Mids seemed to have a bit if a cupped-hands coloration, and the treble was a bit hot, and the bass, while plenty deep, was lacking a little punch.

But the AT W1000X I used to have desperately needed about 120 hours break in, so I am keeping an open mind.  After about 24 hours break in I played them again just now, and already there was significantly more bass weight.  So the burn in process will continue.

Cupped hands? Would you say the upper mids are recessed? Seems like a Denon sound sig. Bad news about needing burn-in. Totally impatient right now =P

Nov 19, 2011 at 8:32 PM Post #208 of 3,599
I'm not completely sure exactly where the coloration was coming from.  I'm not going to worry about it unless it's still there after burn-in.

Nov 19, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #210 of 3,599

Quote:
Bad news about needing burn-in. Totally impatient right now =P

Skylab usually mentions burning things in in his reviews, so this isn't a special case. Personally, I've never experienced the phenomena of having a pair of headphones change significantly with extended use, so I take any burn-in comments with a grain of salt. Not saying you wont experience it, obviously.

Quote:

The original W1000 is a seriously under-rated headphone in my opinion! If I owned the HA-02, I'd buy one just to use with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back