"New Digital Music Format Has Pics, Lyrics, More"
Jan 22, 2010 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

TheMarchingMule

Headphoneus Supremus
FOXNews.com - New Digital Music Format Has Pics, Lyrics, More

Quote:

A leading technology company is set to launch a new digital music file format that will embed additional content for fans including lyrics, news updates and images in what could be a successor to the ubiquitous MP3 file.

The music industry has been hammered by piracy in the last decade and is looking to develop new offerings to entice consumers to buy their music from legitimate sites, instead of taking it from illegal outlets.

I personally don't think this is a progressive step from the MP3/lossy/piracy thing, but at least it's a step somewhere?
rolleyes.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 11
If we'd really wanted all that, someone might have tried to implement it in the open-source world already. Like the matroska guys.

(I have no idea if the MKA audio container format has album art or lyric ability)

Jan 23, 2010 at 8:08 AM Post #6 of 11
The only news would be the "news updates", as most existing formats already support lyrics and images already.

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure I don't want my music files downloading "additional content" on to my computer... thanks though.

x2.

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
News updates? I really don't see anything here that would "entice" me away from FLAC.

Agreed.

Finding pics and lyrics isn't hard when on the computer, and my DAP has a 1.9" screen so I wouldn't even bother when using my portable system.

However, I don't think the Head-Fi community is really the target for MusicDNA. They will probably find a fairly large market as long as the backing and promotion is good.

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #10 of 11
Nonsense article. Until iTunes changes format digital music will remain with an open standard.

What does a company with a new format want? Royalties. Everyone knows already how much of a pain MP3 has been, and this is just Fraunhofer trying to get back into the game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back