New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 20, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #482 of 1,588
Quote:
The flatter the line the better right?

Depends, if you work for Denon bumpier means a more fun sound signature not unlike a roller coaster.
L3000.gif
wink_face.gif

In all seriousness though less peaks usually is what you want to see.

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #483 of 1,588
Quote:
The flatter the line the better right?

"Better" is contextual with personal preference.

My ears enjoy the HD650 more than the D7000, so for that and other reasons I'm of the opinion that the flatter response is better.  Based on the areas of measured accentuation, I could fathom a guess that the D7100 would subjectively fall behind or, at best, keep pace with the D7000.

EDIT:
In other words, just listen to the dang thing if at all possible. :)

Aug 20, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #485 of 1,588
Not a very good looking graph at all, midrange just seems way too unbalanced for such asking price. If the midrange would be more even I'd look like an improvement though as both bass and highs measures nicely. I always get the impression that the guys @ Denon just doesn't like mids very much, recessed mids, now unbalanced mids. It's just one measurement though so can't draw any conclusions on that yet.

Aug 20, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #487 of 1,588
Quote:
I would like to see the D600 vs D7100 vs D400 frequency response... The D7100 one looks a bit crazy though.. Not exactly "neutral" like Denon claims

IMO there is way to much emphasis in recent forum posts regarding FR graphs.  One LISTENS to music, you don't look at it.  I understand the graphs give a cursory picture of the sound signature, but there are so many other factors that go into the SQ, let's not rush to judgement unless you have LISTENED to them.  Denon has a more respected history of manufacturing exceptional headphones than others who are receiving much more speculative hype.  They have at least earned the benefit of the doubt to be properly auditioned.  I hope to receive my D600 tomorrow and will give impressions based on what I HEAR.

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #488 of 1,588
Quote:
IMO there is way to much emphasis in recent forum posts regarding FR graphs.  One LISTENS to music, you don't look at it.  I understand the graphs give a cursory picture of the sound signature, but there are so many other factors that go into the SQ, let's not rush to judgement unless you have LISTENED to them.  Denon has a more respected history of manufacturing exceptional headphones than others who are receiving much more speculative hype.  They have at least earned the benefit of the doubt to be properly auditioned.  I hope to receive my D600 tomorrow and will give impressions based on what I HEAR.

+1 and it exactly what I did

Aug 20, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #489 of 1,588
Quote:

Drawing a visual correlation to the audible does help one gain a further understanding of their own preferences.  However, you're absolutely correct that one cannot -- and SHOULD NOT -- formulate an opinion based solely on measurements and/or the findings of others.  Head-Fi would be much more educative without bootlickers parroting the ballyhoo of the peanut-gallery beau monde.

...in other words: think for your darned self, take the words of others with a discerning side of salt, and don't post definites with a dearth of first-hand experience.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #490 of 1,588
Having been listening to the D7100 for a couple weeks now, along side my HD 800, Koss ESP 950 and Stax SR 507, I have no idea how that graph can be accurate. That makes the headphone look broken with a V shaped signature, no mids and a complete lack of coherency otherwise. That is not even close to how it sounds to me. 

I find the D7100 to be pretty balanced but with a slight bit more bass than the HD 800. I do not hear it as a truly bass heavy headphone (although when brand new it is). I also do not hear a sucked out midrange nor do I hear it as treble boosted. I consider it fully competitive with the other players around the price point and given it's a sealed headphone I find the sound quite remarkable. Looking at that graph just makes me scratch my head, there's something very wrong there.

Quote:
Not a very good looking graph at all, midrange just seems way too unbalanced for such asking price. If the midrange would be more even I'd look like an improvement though as both bass and highs measures nicely. I always get the impression that the guys @ Denon just doesn't like mids very much, recessed mids, now unbalanced mids. It's just one measurement though so can't draw any conclusions on that yet.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #491 of 1,588
Quote:
Having been listening to the D7100 for a couple weeks now, along side my HD 800, Koss ESP 950 and Stax SR 507, I have no idea how that graph can be accurate. That makes the headphone look broken with a V shaped signature, no mids and a complete lack of coherency otherwise. That is not even close to how it sounds to me. 

I find the D7100 to be pretty balanced but with a slight bit more bass than the HD 800. I do not hear it as a truly bass heavy headphone (although when brand new it is). I also do not hear a sucked out midrange nor do I hear it as treble boosted. I consider it fully competitive with the other players around the price point and given it's a sealed headphone I find the sound quite remarkable. Looking at that graph just makes me scratch my head, there's something very wrong there.

I am a little envious of your collection.  I'm surprised you don't also have an Audeze LC-3 and a Fostex TH900 :).  I'm hoping my experience with the D600 will be comparable to yours with the D7100.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #492 of 1,588
I don't have an LCD-3 because I really don't like my LCD-2 at all. I was seriously looking at the TH900 when I bought the D7100 more or less on a whim. I never really expected to like the D7100 as much as I do. I may still try the TH900 eventually but next up for me will probably be an HE-6.

Make sure you burn in the D600 for about 100 hours before evaluating it. If there's ever a strong bit of evidence for burn in these Denon's are it. The D7100 out of the box about knocked me out of my chair with overpowering bass now the bass is still present but fully under control. Amp synergy also makes a huge difference. 
Quote:
I am a little envious of your collection.  I'm surprised you don't also have an Audeze LC-3 and a Fostex TH900 :).  I'm hoping my experience with the D600 will be comparable to yours with the D7100.

Aug 21, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #493 of 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by kstaken /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Make sure you burn in the D600 for about 100 hours before evaluating it. If there's ever a strong bit of evidence for burn in these Denon's are it. The D7100 out of the box about knocked me out of my chair with overpowering bass now the bass is still present but fully under control. Amp synergy also makes a huge difference. 

I didn't even need to hear them to predict that.

Aug 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #495 of 1,588
Yes well obviously you need to actually hear the headphones to judge them but it is still interesting to see FR graphs and also other peoples opinions to see which is going to most likely suit you before you buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back