New DENON "Music Maniac" & "Urban Raver" Lines: D7100, D600, D400 & C300 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #92 of 1,588
@katun and some others  Give them at least 12 houes of burn than have a listen trying to remember how they sound than give them another 48 hours and only than start judging them

Aug 2, 2012 at 10:29 PM Post #94 of 1,588
When i got my D7000 it took at least 50 hours when i noticed improvement comparing to out of the box, than when it reached about 120 it happened again an stays the same since. On the other hand with D600 i noticed difference just after 12 hours now they have 27

Aug 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #95 of 1,588
I've tried the bose ae2 many times (they seem to be around me quite often) and have always come away thinking these aren't half bad you know. Not great. I won't wear them. But they're not absolute beats by dre level ****
For an ultra ultra comfortable portable headphone that sells for only a hundred pound (somehow cheap in nowadays) it's okay. My ears tell me it easily beats the socks off the dt770 pro 80 and the dt770/600 (bass hole version) in terms of sound quality by the way and for that reason it doesn't even half deserve the bashing it gets around headfi.

My story with the d7k burn in is pretty unbelievable but i'll say it anyway.
I didn't notice not a single thing change sound wise when I was burning them in between the 20hr and the 500hr mark. During this time of burn in I was not wearing the headphone alleviating any possible effect of pad burn in. I compared the d7k to a now disused (but well burned in) d2k to test for d7k burn in effects, from an invariant setup and source. Actually I especially listened out for sibilance as at both the 20hr and 500hr mark, still the d7k had a harsher treble to that of the d2k, by a considerable margin- around 300%.

All this basically meant was that the d7k's were unusable for me. I couldn't hack their screamy, sharp, aggressive, bumped up, tinny,........ high range so I put them back in their box and was going to flog them when I had the time. Hmmm, I had a good idea though. You know them nuts on headfi talking about burn in only coming into existance after a certain thousand hours- how do you know the falsity of their statements?        I mean had I ever tested for it? 
Not really no, so I decided to put my money where my mouth was and let the d7k burn in for, yep, nearly 2 months during which time I never once touched the phone. (The burn in audio was a steady loop of 15 miniute pink noise with a 45 second period of silence on the end.)

When I for the final time pitched the d7k against the d2k to see for burn in effects the difference was very clearly noticable. The entire treble ranged problems had decreased easily by half and now they were only slightly more brighter than the d2k.  

So yea, burn these new denons in folks but i'm not sure when it'll click.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #98 of 1,588
Glad I am reading these impressions. I have reached a point where I no longer like a V shaped signature either so unless the sound changes dramatically I can scratch the D600 off any future purchase lists for myself.

Aug 3, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #99 of 1,588
I want actual D7000 vs D7100 comparisons.

The D7000 stands as my favorite sounding headphone (right next to the HE400), and I'm curious to see just what Denon has up it's sleeves with the D7100.

I'm still a v shaped fan, but prefer something along the lines of the D7000 kind of V shaped, meaning plenty of sub bass, balanced midbass completely in line with the mids, and slight treble sparkle. I don't need or care too much for mid bass emphasis in my quality headphone.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:03 AM Post #100 of 1,588
Quote:
Glad I am reading these impressions. I have reached a point where I no longer like a V shaped signature either so unless the sound changes dramatically I can scratch the D600 off any future purchase lists for myself.

From what I've read - they have strong bass out of the box, but also have a good balanced Mid-range. I don't see what's V about that signature, but it doesn't sound as bad as my current ATH-M50's. My M50's have such a noticeably V shaped signature, I just can't listen to some songs because the vocals are so recessed. 

Then again - I may not be remembering what I read properly, but please check the current impressions again; this is still a day before they were even supposed to be released, so we're lucky to be getting so many impressions already, and I'm sure we'll get more.

I'm in no rush to choose between what will end up being my final biggest pair of headphones for a while. Whether they are the V-MODA M-100's or Denon AH-D600's, as long as they fit me, I'm fine with waiting to see.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #101 of 1,588
I might have to get a pair for a good closed can. Something I am missing right now.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #102 of 1,588
I will wait for more impressions. But I prefer headphones that err on the side of a forward midrange so may still not like this headphone even if it turns out to be neutral, but if it does being mid forward then all bets are off LOL.

BTW I used to own and love the D7000 but sold them because I couldn't justify such an expensive headphone when I wasn't using it very often after my tastes started to move more towards the signature I prefer now. But when I did like that signature I LOVED the D7000 ALOT!

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #103 of 1,588
Quote:
Updated impressions. Last ones for the day.

As of now, I have 10 headphones on my desk. I wanted to do a quick sampling of each one just to get a better feeling for all of their sounds compared to each other and also my more established pairs. The D600 was the last pair of the rotation. To my surprise, they actually have the most amount of treble compared to everything else I've got at the moment. Definitely, without a doubt, it's sound signature is reminiscent to the D2000 and Pro 900. I'd say perhaps the bass of the Pro 900 and the mids and treble of the D2000. Beyond that, I find it pretty interesting at how different these sound after listening to everything else I've got. From now compared to my out-of-box impression, bass doesn't seem AS bad anymore (yet still too much), but midrange and treble are definitely worse than before. Bass is still pretty annoying with anything that isn't specifically dedicated to bass, and the midrange/treble can mess up some vocals (sounds a bit shallow/thin and has a zing to it). Treble does indeed have sibilance on some songs. Overall, better than the XB700? Um, I'd actually take the XB700 instead, even though it's not quite as "advanced" sounding. I like the presentation of the XB700's treble far more than the D600, as it's not fatiguing and the vocals have proper weight to them. NOTE, while at one time I was a huge fan of the D2000 and Pro 900, my most recent pairs of both were a major let down due to my significant change in preference to sound signature. I simply don't like V-shaped sound anymore, and the D600 is exactly that. So perhaps it would be best to take users with more credibility in the art of this sound more seriously than me, because quite apparently, I'm not a fan. Glad that has been firmly confirmed now.

I'll make comments is anyone asks, but I won't post further impressions. I'm out. I'm forgetting this is an appreciation thread and not a discussion thread.

Fans of the old series, I'm quite certain you'll be pleased.

So let me get this straight....the D600 is a higher end sounding XB700 which has good treble extension and bass that can sound boomy although not as muddy as the XB700 and you're also saying the signature is V shaped? OK I know I put up a gag post a few pages back but all trolling aside I'm not liking that description to much.

What about the sound stage is it wider then the XB700? The bass itself does it hit hard without bleed into the lower mid? I now have a million questions to ask these sound like nothing I was expecting. I was expecting a more balanced sound with a more forward mid range. Is anyone else surprised?

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #104 of 1,588
Quote:
katun, I have the similar first impression on D600.
Moreover, I think it is a little bit heavy.

I am really surprised by all the comments describing the "Music Maniac" line as having a V-curve and heavy bass considering how Denon has marketed these so heavily as having "flat EQ".  I am relieved I didn't jump on the Amazon discount yesterday (I was kicking myself for not buying at the discount before reading some of these reviews, so thank you to the brave early adopters).  On the high end, are they really as bright as Ultrasone 900's?  If so, I will be looking elsewhere and may be back to the PSB M4U2 or rejoining the cult-like M-100 appreciation thread.  If this is how Denon presents their flat EQ line, I can't imagine how their Urban Ravers will sound with their self-described  "brutile" bass.  I like deep, impactful bass, but I am wondering if this is, dare I say, bass overkill?

P.S. the AH-C300 (in-ear Urban Raver) is now in stock at several sites including from Denon direct.

Can anyone compare the D600 or D7100 to the ATH-PRO700MK2?  I just ordered those at Buydig for $104 refurb and keeping my fingers crossed that I like them.  I would feel better about a $100 mistake than a $500 mistake if I don't like them.

Aug 3, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #105 of 1,588
Quote:
I was expecting a more balanced sound with a more forward mid range. Is anyone else surprised?

If you're talking about the headphones - I'm not, because we haven't gotten enough impressions yet. If you're talking about people's excitement to type everything they think about them - then I'm also not surprised.

The reason we're seeing stuff like this is because these are straight out of the box impressions. The original D2000 - 7000's needed massive burn in, so who's to say these don't need more? These people have had them less than 48hours for the most part, so we really just need to wait for detailed reviews after people have had the proper chance to sit down and analyze them.

All we have at the moment is a bunch of kids opening new shiny toys and writing down everything they think - no offense - we need to wait for it to settle down at least a bit, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back