New denafrips DDC (Iris and Gaia)
Jul 14, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #61 of 760
See my Post #198 in the "15 USB/SPDIF converters shootout" thread on AS (formerly CA)- can't post links here on Head-Fi. Those are some I've owned.

To be clear, before anyone attacks, I am not declaring this to be the best D/D converter in the world (who could say?), I am just having a hard time believing anything else out there surpasses the Gaia, IMHO. Perhaps something does, but this Gaia is significantly better than any other D/D converter I've owned.

P.S. Further edit- my comments are based on my speaker setup, in a dedicated audio room with lots of acoustic room treatments, ideal speaker positioning, etc. I'm not sure if the sound staging improvements would be adequately revealed with headphones only, but the improvements to transparency sure would.
Hi Blake,
I’m using Abyss Phi CC headphones and I can tell u the staging improvements are clearly audible and can be heard. Transparency and resolution? Not even worth mentioning cause it’s so bloody good. One more thing just as reminder, do be careful with the Tubulus cause it’s solid core silver. It will break if u keep bending it. I would suggest u map out your route and make the bend first before installation. No 90 degree bends too boss. Enjoy.

Jul 15, 2020 at 12:24 AM Post #62 of 760
Hi, well there you go. The sound staging shines through in headphones as well!

I haven't tried my headphones with the Gaia system yet due to some logistical issues. Glad that you are hearing the same magic that I am with the Gaia.

Thanks for the tip on the Tubulus Argentus. I will do a very careful "U" bend before installing.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #63 of 760
I am curious as to how people are connecting the Gaia to the network. Since it does not seem to have Ethernet input, what input device is used? I have a Sonore microRendu. Would that work and also provide a ROON end point? I also have a computer that silently runs ROON near buy so I guess I could connect via the USB on the computer. Though a computer does not seem like what most people would want to use.

I should add that I am also considering the Sonore OpticalRendu Lite for ROON Only. The conversion to optical fibre many have advantages to what the Gaia is doing, when considering analog noise.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #64 of 760
I am curious as to how people are connecting the Gaia to the network. Since it does not seem to have Ethernet input, what input device is used? I have a Sonore microRendu. Would that work and also provide a ROON end point?

I am using an UltraRendu (Roon) with success.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #65 of 760
My personal, entirely subjective impressions using the Gaia with the Chord Qutest: (I now have my Terminator Plus, I will post some thoughts about that combo later- the TPlus is still new and burning in):

The Gaia transforms the Qutest. I had to keep checking myself since the Gaia arrived to make sure I was hearing the magnitude of change I believed I was hearing. Yep, it is real. I could see the Qutest+Gaia combo as an "end game" combo for the vast majority of audiophiles.

If I had been listening to the Qutest just by itself for a long time, and then I was blind-folded and someone connected the Gaia to the Qutest, but told me they had inserted a Dave*, I would believe them and immediately start figuring out how long it would take me to save up for the Dave because hearing the improvements, it would be difficult to go without. Again, though, that is just me.

*I have not heard the Dave in my system and thus I am not saying a Qutest+Gaia would equal a Dave. I am just trying to express the magnitude of the change. After my years of buying and trying different DAC's in my system, I view the Gaia improvements to comfortably exceed one, and possibly equal even two DAC model jumps within a manufacturer's DAC line.

Another data point: I loved my Berkelely Alpha USB D/D converter and it improved every DAC to which it was connected (most recently a Yggy Analog 2). The sonic improvements brought by Gaia exceed the sonic improvements from the Berkeley by a rather large margin.

I'd love to put a Gaia up against a PhoenixUSB or Chord M Scaler just to see how it compares (yes, I appreciate these are differing devices and it would be a somewhat flawed comparison due to the different connection types). If you simply view all of these devices as "sonic improvement" devices at differing price points, which at the end of the day is what they are (thinking of the Gaia as merely a tool to convert to a different digital type is really missing the big point of the Gaia), the Gaia might prove to be a cheaper alternative for a given amount of sonic improvement.

What are the primary sonic improvements? Dramatic (on an audiophile rating scale- i.e. not to my wife's rating scale) improvements to holography/sound staging and transparency (hearing even more musical information, details, the impression of the recording venue, etc). The sound stage is huge and there is so much air between the performers. I really value those aspects. If those sonic attributes are not what floats your boat, then move along, nothing to see here.

Finally, as a Terminator Plus owner, the ability to take advantage of the TPlus' clock output to the upstream Gaia, is more icing on the Gaia cake.

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #66 of 760
My personal, entirely subjective impressions using the Gaia with the Chord Qutest: (I now have my Terminator Plus, I will post some thoughts about that combo later- the TPlus is still new and burning in):

The Gaia transforms the Qutest. I had to keep checking myself since the Gaia arrived to make sure I was hearing the magnitude of change I believed I was hearing. Yep, it is real. I could see the Qutest+Gaia combo as an "end game" combo for the vast majority of audiophiles.

If I had been listening to the Qutest just by itself for a long time, and then I was blind-folded and someone connected the Gaia to the Qutest, but told me they had inserted a Dave*, I would believe them and immediately start figuring out how long it would take me to save up for the Dave because hearing the improvements, it would be difficult to go without. Again, though, that is just me.

*I have not heard the Dave in my system and thus I am not saying a Qutest+Gaia would equal a Dave. I am just trying to express the magnitude of the change. After my years of buying and trying different DAC's in my system, I view the Gaia improvements to comfortably exceed one, and possibly equal even two DAC model jumps within a manufacturer's DAC line.

Another data point: I loved my Berkelely Alpha USB D/D converter and it improved every DAC to which it was connected (most recently a Yggy Analog 2). The sonic improvements brought by Gaia exceed the sonic improvements from the Berkeley by a rather large margin.

I'd love to put a Gaia up against a PhoenixUSB or Chord M Scaler just to see how it compares (yes, I appreciate these are differing devices and it would be a somewhat flawed comparison due to the different connection types). If you simply view all of these devices as "sonic improvement" devices at differing price points, which at the end of the day is what they are (thinking of the Gaia as merely a tool to convert to a different digital type is really missing the big point of the Gaia), the Gaia might prove to be a cheaper alternative for a given amount of sonic improvement.

What are the primary sonic improvements? Dramatic (on an audiophile rating scale- i.e. not to my wife's rating scale) improvements to holography/sound staging and transparency (hearing even more musical information, details, the impression of the recording venue, etc). The sound stage is huge and there is so much air between the performers. I really value those aspects. If those sonic attributes are not what floats your boat, then move along, nothing to see here.

Finally, as a Terminator Plus owner, the ability to take advantage of the TPlus' clock output to the upstream Gaia, is more icing on the Gaia cake.

The T+ needs some time to fully open up. Can't wait to hear your impressions of the Gaia/T+ combo. Keep in mind that the i2s and clock cables have a pretty dramatic impact on the sound. After a couple of weeks, I'm blown away by what I'm hearing after optimizing the cables and allowing time for everything to settle in. Enjoy!

Jul 25, 2020 at 7:25 PM Post #67 of 760
The T+ needs some time to fully open up. Can't wait to hear your impressions of the Gaia/T+ combo. Keep in mind that the i2s and clock cables have a pretty dramatic impact on the sound. After a couple of weeks, I'm blown away by what I'm hearing after optimizing the cables and allowing time for everything to settle in. Enjoy!

Thanks John! I just got my Tubulus Argentus HDMI shipping notice. It arrives on Tuesday and I will use it in place of the Sablon ethernet so for I2S I will be LVDS, rather than LVCMOS. My Kimber D60's for the clocks are also new and need to burn in.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #68 of 760
What does the Gaia do that is different from a streamer such as an OpticalRendu? I can see that it can connect to the preferred I2S input, is there anything else? I am seriously considering the TP but I want to know why the DDC units from Denafrips are the way to go. Another option for me would be to take USB output from an OpticalRendu and connect to the TP. Why is the Gaia or Iris way the better choice?

My understanding is that the internal clock on the Gaia is bypassed if you connect the TP to it, since the TP has the same clock. So an Iris maybe the way to go with the TP. I say this based on what Alvin Chee mentioned to me but I am not sure what the role the clock plays in any of this to make the sound better.

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #69 of 760
Thanks John! I just got my Tubulus Argentus HDMI shipping notice. It arrives on Tuesday and I will use it in place of the Sablon ethernet so for I2S I will be LVDS, rather than LVCMOS. My Kimber D60's for the clocks are also new and need to burn in.
Ha, I just ordered the D60s on Thursday to compare to the Apogee Wyde Eye. The Argentus needs time - about 3-4 days. Don’t worry if you hear some sharpness in the treble.. it will pass and become perfectly smooth.

Jul 25, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #70 of 760
Still no comparisons to the DI-20 by AudioGD?
What about the Iris? This thread is for both Iris and Gaia. I am sure the Gaia is awesome, but the Iris is so much more affordable!

Jul 25, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #71 of 760
What does the Gaia do that is different from a streamer such as an OpticalRendu? I can see that it can connect to the preferred I2S input, is there anything else? I am seriously considering the TP but I want to know why the DDC units from Denafrips are the way to go. Another option for me would be to take USB output from an OpticalRendu and connect to the TP. Why is the Gaia or Iris way the better choice?

My understanding is that the internal clock on the Gaia is bypassed if you connect the TP to it, since the TP has the same clock. So an Iris maybe the way to go with the TP. I say this based on what Alvin Chee mentioned to me but I am not sure what the role the clock plays in any of this to make the sound better.
If you have no desire for any other inputs besides USB, there may not be an advantage to the Gaia. I personally use AES, USB, and Toslink, so I am able to convert all of them to i2s. Alvin could probably confirm for you.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:13 PM Post #72 of 760
Hi John,
Cables make a huge difference as I have always preached about. U get what u pay for I guess.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:28 PM Post #73 of 760
Still no comparisons to the DI-20 by AudioGD?
What about the Iris? This thread is for both Iris and Gaia. I am sure the Gaia is awesome, but the Iris is so much more affordable!
Hi,
I’m currently running an Iris mated to my TP and I must say, it would keep a lot of ppl happy bunnies for a long while. Once my Gaia comes in, I will be sure to share my thoughts between the 2 units. Hope I can get the Hermes for a test too which uses TXCO clock instead of the much more expensive OCXO clock. The thing is if the TP takes over clocking duties then it renders the clocks in the DDC redundant I guess, but then there are many other aspects to the sound difference than just clocks. The PSU, caps, circuit topology all play a huge role as well. Only way to get to any concrete conclusion would be to run the DDCs and listen. As for me, I just go for the best I can afford and don’t look back, that’s just me though.

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #74 of 760
If you have no desire for any other inputs besides USB, there may not be an advantage to the Gaia.
I am only going to use USB.

Hi,
I’m currently running an Iris mated to my TP and I must say, it would keep a lot of ppl happy bunnies for a long while. Once my Gaia comes in, I will be sure to share my thoughts between the 2 units. Hope I can get the Hermes for a test too which uses TXCO clock instead of the much more expensive OCXO clock. The thing is if the TP takes over clocking duties then it renders the clocks in the DDC redundant I guess, but then there are many other aspects to the sound difference than just clocks. The PSU, caps, circuit topology all play a huge role as well. Only way to get to any concrete conclusion would be to run the DDCs and listen. As for me, I just go for the best I can afford and don’t look back, that’s just me though.
Cannot wait for your Iris vs. Gaia vs. Hermes impressions!
I am also considering the Audio-GD DI-20...

Jul 26, 2020 at 12:15 AM Post #75 of 760
I think my plan is to get the "Sonore optialRendu LITE for ROON Only" to go Fibre Optical to eliminate some Ethernet analog noise. Then connect that by USB to a Denafrips Iris which will connect by I2S to the T+. I need to talk with Alvin to see why this is good or bad but it seems like a good approach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back