New DAP, budget GAP!!!
Jul 10, 2017 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

Ferdi91

Head-Fier
Hi everyone!!! I've already presented myself in the introduction's thread.

I use since 7 years my lovely ipod 4th gen with Apple earbuds (not in-ear because i found them really uncomfortable). I listen to music most of all during traveling, in metro, bus, flights etc... and i want to get better with it: can't listen cause of the ambiental noise; eq is really bad; the listening isn't immersive at all...

My favourite genres: Alt Rock, Post Rock (instrumental one, Explosions in the sky, Godspeed You..., This will destroy you etc...), indie, Folk (acoustic), songwriting.

So i thought to buy a new DAP and then some portable and "discreet" headphone, with a sober and simple line. I would use them in wireless mode (i know that cable is better). I've already started to buy some FLAC music, so i would like to buy an HI-Res DAP. Reading in this forum, i've found a lot of info, but on a budget higher than mine... Furthermore, i can't load the Buying guide pages (it's seems "Not Found").

I've seen: Fiio X1 II, Sony A35, Shanling M1, but i don't know if in the budget of 150-160 euro i'd find some else better for me.

About the headphone, I really don't know how i could find a little on ear, decent sounding and isolated without burn my buck! Found Skullcandy very good aesthetic brand. Somebody advice me to look at some AKG Y50BT or Philips SHB8850NC, but can't find anything about that on this forum.

Hope to not forget some good info and really sorry for my english.

thank you,
ferdi

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #2 of 44
So i thought to buy a new DAP and then some portable and "discreet" headphone, with a sober and simple line. I would use them in wireless mode (i know that cable is better). I've already started to buy some FLAC music, so i would like to buy an HI-Res DAP. Reading in this forum, i've found a lot of info, but on a budget higher than mine... Furthermore, i can't load the Buying guide pages (it's seems "Not Found").

I've seen: Fiio X1 II, Sony A35, Shanling M1, but i don't know if in the budget of 150-160 euro i'd find some else better for me.

About the headphone, I really don't know how i could find a little on ear, decent sounding and isolated without burn my buck! Found Skullcandy very good aesthetic brand. Somebody advice me to look at some AKG Y50BT or Philips SHB8850NC, but can't find anything about that on this forum.

You might as well just use your smartphone. Bluetooth isn't completely lossless anyway, not to mention the improved audio hardware on DAP - DAC chip, output stage, amplifier output stage - will not to be utilized and just bypassed by the BT system.

If your problem is storage just use streaming, or use the DAP budget to buy a portable wireless HDD that your phone can access.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #3 of 44
You might as well just use your smartphone - Bluetooth isn't completely lossless anyway, not to mention the improved audio hardware on DAP - DAC chip, output stage, amplifier output stage - will not to be utilized and just bypassed by the BT system.

If your problem is storage just use streaming, or use the DAP budget to buy a portable wireless HDD that your phone can access.

Thank you so much for your help!
I don't want (and i don't) use my phone for music. If i decide to use the DAP with a pair cabled headphone for a better quality and a pair in wireless mode (not too expensive one), what do you suggest?

Used since 7 years an iPod 4th gen with their earbuds (not in ear). Would like to have more volume, but with more quality, for the noisier places.

Thank you

Ferdi

Ps
For the prime day, there will be in list:
Fiio x1 II
Xduoo x3

Which one is better? There are some products with higher quality for that price?!?

ferdi

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 44
I don't want (and i don't) use my phone for music. If i decide to use the DAP with a pair cabled headphone for a better quality and a pair in wireless mode (not too expensive one), what do you suggest?

Used since 7 years an iPod 4th gen with their earbuds (not in ear). Would like to have more volume, but with more quality, for the noisier places.

When the ambient noise is high your first objective should be to increase isolation rather than rely on high output power and dB. There are two ways to do that - active noise cancelling and passive noise cancelling. ANC comes with some wireless headphones but definitely above your budget if you want one that isolates well and sounds good. Passive is best done by IEMs - did you look at anything in that category yet? Something like the Westone W30 isolates well and can still serve as your reference IEMs rather than cutting the budget between a decent headphone and a wireless ANC headphone where you're paying mostly for the ANC circuit.

Ps
For the prime day, there will be in list:
Fiio x1 II
Xduoo x3

Which one is better? There are some products with higher quality for that price?!?

The XDuooo X3 doesn't even have BT or any other built in wireless protocol. You don't have a choice, you have to get the X1II.

Jul 10, 2017 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 44
When the ambient noise is high your first objective should be to increase isolation rather than rely on high output power and dB. There are two ways to do that - active noise cancelling and passive noise cancelling. ANC comes with some wireless headphones but definitely above your budget if you want one that isolates well and sounds good. Passive is best done by IEMs - did you look at anything in that category yet? Something like the Westone W30 isolates well and can still serve as your reference IEMs rather than cutting the budget between a decent headphone and a wireless ANC headphone where you're paying mostly for the ANC circuit.

The XDuooo X3 doesn't even have BT or any other built in wireless protocol. You don't have a choice, you have to get the X1II.

Thanks again!!!
Not focalised my attention to IEMs cause the in-ear i've tried, i always found them extremely unconfortable! in any case, that W30 are too expensive for me! Would like to stay around 100-150 euro for one headphone or, splitting that budget, for two pairs: one IEM and an on ear wireless!

There are other products you think better than Fiio? What is the best choice for price/sound quality/tools (like better battery or better wireless chip) around the 150 +\- 20 euro? For example, Sony A35? Shanglin? Cayin?

Really thank you!!!

Ferdi

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 44
Not focalised my attention to IEMs cause the in-ear i've tried, i always found them extremely unconfortable!

What IEMs have you tried? Because IEMs with shell designs like Westone and Shure tend to be the most comfortable.

in any case, that W30 are too expensive for me! Would like to stay around 100-150 euro for one headphone or, splitting that budget, for two pairs: one IEM and an on ear wireless

LIke I said, anything wireless at that price wouldn't be a good idea. Either they have ANC and still suck in most aspects apart from ANC, or they don't have ANC and still not that good especially when your use case is "use DAP to blast more dB's into ear." Primary impediment there even if you use a decent enough wireless without ANC is that the 100mW at 16ohms output of the Fiio X1II won't matter because Bluetooth will bypass ALL of the DAP's circuit, including the 100mW headphone amp. At the very least if you picked up a good ANC headphone the ANC will lower the noise floor, making it less necessary to risk ear damage by overcoming noise by raising the output level. That or you just get one decent IEM like the RHA T10.

I'll put it this way. Having less isolation and dealing with it by increasing input power, and assuming you can actually use the 100mW/channel output of the X1II (which, again, won't be utilized by a wireless headphone - at best you have a 5mW chip driving a more efficient headphone) is like putting twin turbos on a Rolls Royce or Bentley, which doesn't change the fact that either car is still basically a land yacht, while lowering the noise floor by isolation or ANC is kind of like having a super lightweight Lotus Super Seven powered by a 2.0L Ford Duratec that will still go around a race track a lot faster than the aforementioned land yachts.

There are other products you think better than Fiio? What is the best choice for price/sound quality/tools (like better battery or better wireless chip) around the 150 +\- 20 euro? For example, Sony A35? Shanglin? Cayin?

The only differences in wireless chips is what wireless protocol they use and if there's any issue with the overall design that noise gets into the stream. Otherwise you just check if it's Apt-X BT 4.0 or whatever the latest is.

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #10 of 44
What IEMs have you tried? Because IEMs with shell designs like Westone and Shure tend to be the most comfortable.

I've tried some Sound Magic e10, because i've read a lot in forums and with all good impressions and a pair of bayerdynamic. I found both really uncomfortable on the road and i didn't able to wear them for more than an hour.

LIke I said, anything wireless at that price wouldn't be a good idea. Either they have ANC and still suck in most aspects apart from ANC, or they don't have ANC and still not that good especially when your use case is "use DAP to blast more dB's into ear." Primary impediment there even if you use a decent enough wireless without ANC is that the 100mW at 16ohms output of the Fiio X1II won't matter because Bluetooth will bypass ALL of the DAP's circuit, including the 100mW headphone amp. At the very least if you picked up a good ANC headphone the ANC will lower the noise floor, making it less necessary to risk ear damage by overcoming noise by raising the output level. That or you just get one decent IEM like the RHA T10.

I'll put it this way. Having less isolation and dealing with it by increasing input power, and assuming you can actually use the 100mW/channel output of the X1II (which, again, won't be utilized by a wireless headphone - at best you have a 5mW chip driving a more efficient headphone) is like putting twin turbos on a Rolls Royce or Bentley, which doesn't change the fact that either car is still basically a land yacht, while lowering the noise floor by isolation or ANC is kind of like having a super lightweight Lotus Super Seven powered by a 2.0L Ford Duratec that will still go around a race track a lot faster than the aforementioned land yachts.

Great metaphor ahaha!!!
i'll check something about RHA T10!
Instead, In the ANC, IEM or discreet On-ear, what you suggest to try?

The only differences in wireless chips is what wireless protocol they use and if there's any issue with the overall design that noise gets into the stream. Otherwise you just check if it's Apt-X BT 4.0 or whatever the latest is.

Got it!!! But i don't understand if in that budget i could buy a better DAP than Fiio!

Thank you, like always,
ferdi

Jul 11, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #13 of 44
Amazon adds some headphones to its prime day:

Shure SE112m 60 euro
Denon AH-GC 20 159 euro
Sony MDRXB950N1B 169 euro
Bose ® SoundTrue ® Ultra In-Ear 80 euro

for all said in the previous posts, there's something best-buy? Still waiting the special price for the Fiio x1 II (today around the 01:30 am in my country), right now it costs 119 euro! I will chose this one in base of its price discount or i will get on the Cayin.

Between Cayin N3 and Sony A35?

Thanks

ferdi

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:11 AM Post #14 of 44
I've tried some Sound Magic e10, because i've read a lot in forums and with all good impressions and a pair of bayerdynamic. I found both really uncomfortable on the road and i didn't able to wear them for more than an hour.

Not exactly the same design as the Westone/Shure type shells, which have the cable over the earlobe to take some of the strain off the ear canals gripping the bore through the eartips.

img_0404.jpg

Other semi-custom designs spread out more of the weight and friction all over the outer ear.
3441685.jpg

Not to mention you need to try other tips. I have the Aurisonics above but I use it with the Sony Hybrid - soft flange with a thick but soft core.

Instead, In the ANC, IEM or discreet On-ear, what you suggest to try?

I have the ASG-1.3 - smaller than a headphone, fits into a water-proof case, doesn't need to be charged unlike wireless headphones, easily driven by a smartphone, etc.

Got it!!! But i don't understand if in that budget i could buy a better DAP than Fiio!

You don't really have that much of a choice, the X1II is the only one at that price range (excluding the iPod Touch) that has BT for wireless headphones.

Also, as far as the wireless headphones are concerned, the DAP's other circuits will not matter at all, since it transmits digital and will be decoded by the circuit built into the headphone.

Jul 11, 2017 at 3:17 AM Post #15 of 44
You can have a look at the Cayin N3.

Price is great and feature wise also. Lots of YT reviews and here on the board.

It has duplex Bluetooth.

Mine is on its way.

Edit: see now that it's allready recommended.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back