New custom IEM company - Custom Art: discussion, review, and impressions thread
Mar 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #721 of 4,065
Hi

I'm looking for some advice please. I owned (and loved) a set of UE triple-Fi 10s for a number of years before I left them on a train a couple of weeks back. In looking for a replacement I have done heaps of reading and bought a set of Hifi man RE-100's which I'm enjoying but not quite as much as the tf10s. I am happy to spend up to £350 so have considered the UE900s, the Westone 4r/w40s and the Shure 535s.

Then I came across custom art and the comments are generally really good. As I've never had CIEMs before,my question is; should I go for CIEMs over any of the above universals? I wouldn't say I'm a bass-head, but I'm more interested in an exciting sound than a completely flat/accurate sound. I think the main thing I miss with the RE-100s is the soundstage.

I'm considering the Music 2s from this range.

Thanks in advance.

i'd say before thinking of sound specifics you should think first of how do you use your earphones. Customs are great, in every way, unbelievably comfortable especially these silicone wonders made by Piotr. But if you are more in a on and off use, like if you have to take them out very often to speak or listen to someones/friends/girls
wink_face.gif
/kids, you should consider stay universal. 
But you can contact him, he'll answer all your questions (sound wise!) Mostly answers within hours.  

Mar 9, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #722 of 4,065
Music Two is one of the best bang for your bucks ;-/ and you could be pretty happy with this fun and realistic sound signature imo

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #723 of 4,065
i'd say before thinking of sound specifics you should think first of how do you use your earphones. Customs are great, in every way, unbelievably comfortable especially these silicone wonders made by Piotr. But if you are more in a on and off use, like if you have to take them out very often to speak or listen to someones/friends/girls:wink_face: /kids, you should consider stay universal. 
But you can contact him, he'll answer all your questions (sound wise!) Mostly answers within hours.  

Thanks for the quick response. I'll have the RE-100s still so I'm more interested in great sound than convenience.

I have emailed Piotr once and got a really quick reply. I'll ping my question to him too.

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #724 of 4,065
Thanks for the quick response. I'll have the RE-100s still so I'm more interested in great sound than convenience.

I have emailed Piotr once and got a really quick reply. I'll ping my question to him too.

If for whatever reason you decide not to go with customs ( I am considering the Music Two as well but will probably wait for the Harmony one and see how it goes) you might want to look into the SD2 / SD3 . I own the SD2 and it is much better than the RE-400 and my Ety HF3. It also seems like it is built to last. Both are within your budget and from reviews the SD3 is really a more bass heavy version of the SD2.

Mar 9, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #725 of 4,065
If for whatever reason you decide not to go with customs ( I am considering the Music Two as well but will probably wait for the Harmony one and see how it goes) you might want to look into the SD2 / SD3 . I own the SD2 and it is much better than the RE-400 and my Ety HF3. It also seems like it is built to last. Both are within your budget and from reviews the SD3 is really a more bass heavy version of the SD2.

Thanks. Re-400 of course. Typo. I'll have a look at the SD2/3s.

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #726 of 4,065
Hi

I'm looking for some advice please. I owned (and loved) a set of UE triple-Fi 10s for a number of years before I left them on a train a couple of weeks back. In looking for a replacement I have done heaps of reading and bought a set of Hifi man RE-100's which I'm enjoying but not quite as much as the tf10s. I am happy to spend up to £350 so have considered the UE900s, the Westone 4r/w40s and the Shure 535s.

Then I came across custom art and the comments are generally really good. As I've never had CIEMs before,my question is; should I go for CIEMs over any of the above universals? I wouldn't say I'm a bass-head, but I'm more interested in an exciting sound than a completely flat/accurate sound. I think the main thing I miss with the RE-100s is the soundstage.

I'm considering the Music 2s from this range.

Thanks in advance.

Well, my Music Two sounds notably more flat/accurate than UE700 (Logitech version).

i'd say before thinking of sound specifics you should think first of how do you use your earphones. Customs are great, in every way, unbelievably comfortable especially these silicone wonders made by Piotr. But if you are more in a on and off use, like if you have to take them out very often to speak or listen to someones/friends/girls
wink_face.gif
/kids, you should consider stay universal. 

Regarding on-off-use: Comparing my UE700 with comply foams and my Music Two, inserting the UE700 is way more annoying, because the comply foams getting warmed up by the body heat, which makes them expanding too fast for a comfortable insertion after removing them for a short time.
Silicone eartips may be more comfortable for on-off-use than a CIEM, but (comply) foam eartips are not.

Mar 9, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #727 of 4,065
Regarding on-off-use: Comparing my UE700 with comply foams and my Music Two, inserting the UE700 is way more annoying, because the comply foams getting warmed up by the body heat, which makes them expanding too fast for a comfortable insertion after removing them for a short time.
Silicone eartips may be more comfortable for on-off-use than a CIEM, but (comply) foam eartips are not.

thats actually true too. 
getting the silicone ciems in and out is very simple, and fairly comfortable.....but you get so frustrated to get off the great sound....even for on second!!! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 13, 2014 at 6:21 AM Post #728 of 4,065
Guys check out some stuff that Peter done recently (reshell and retune of Frogbeats and UE): https://www.facebook.com/thecustomart (you don't need a facebook account to be able to see the pictures).

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #729 of 4,065
Guys check out some stuff that Peter done recently (reshell and retune of Frogbeats and UE): https://www.facebook.com/thecustomart (you don't need facebook account to be able to see the pictures).

Wonderful jobs. It gives me more hope honestly. Sure that Peter is a rising star in ciem world and he deserves it
wink.gif

I like the way he painted with UE remold. Concha part was awesome.

Mar 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #735 of 4,065
Guys check out some stuff that Peter done recently (reshell and retune of Frogbeats and UE): https://www.facebook.com/thecustomart (you don't need a facebook account to be able to see the pictures).

Thanks for that, I actually had no idea pictures of the Frogbeats retune were posted already. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back