New Cowon Plenue L
Aug 25, 2023 at 12:37 AM Post #634 of 668
Thank you!
There are several options to purchase this player.
so I'm going to buy
Where? I am interested on buying one as well. How does the PL measure up to something like the Ibasso DX240 with amp 8 MKII or DX320 with Amp12? I have the Plenue 2 MKII and really curious about the L. Thanks!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #635 of 668
Where? I am interested on buying one as well. How does the PL measure up to something like the Ibasso DX240 with amp 8 MKII or DX320 with Amp12? I have the Plenue 2 MKII and really curious about the L. Thanks!
I owned P2 MKII and now PL. Although P2MKII is a great DAP, PL sound has more weight and soundstage

Oct 26, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #636 of 668
I owned P2 MKII and now PL. Although P2MKII is a great DAP, PL sound has more weight and soundstage
Thanks. I was going to buy a used L for around $800 but didn’t go thru with it. At the end of the day, I am not so sure whether Cowon will support their players anymore and newer DAPs such as ZX707 or DX240 should be just as good if not better than the L now. The ZX707’s DSD mastering and DSEE ultimate scaling are really nice. I found the stock ZX707 to be better sounding than the P2MKII as well. Ibasso is about to release the successor (DX260) to the DX240 as well.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #637 of 668
Thanks. I was going to buy a used L for around $800 but didn’t go thru with it. At the end of the day, I am not so sure whether Cowon will support their players anymore and newer DAPs such as ZX707 or DX240 should be just as good if not better than the L now. The ZX707’s DSD mastering and DSEE ultimate scaling are really nice. I found the stock ZX707 to be better sounding than the P2MKII as well. Ibasso is about to release the successor (DX260) to the DX240 as well.
Nowadays is very difficult to justify a Plenue L purchase. But if you're oldschool like me and want a pure dap without Wifi and Bluetooth maybe you should consider it. It sounds amazing and together with its high portability and unique EQ is still a good contender even considering the amount of new daps released. I'll never sell mine.

Nov 19, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #638 of 668
Thanks. I just wish that I can audition one before purchase. Had a chance to buy it new two or three years ago from Amazon for $1000 but went with the MKII instead. I am able to DIY and my mod ZX707 is neck to neck compared to the stock W1ZM2 so the thought of buying the L is no more unless I can find one at or around $600 or so.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #639 of 668
For some, the Cowon PL is the Dap they absolutely prefer.. I have had many models of this brand, this is without a doubt their jewel in the crown..

I had noticed that the sound changes significantly during burning, so as for IEMs with DD and Planari drivers it really requires a running-in of several hours and I fear it is practically impossible to evaluate with a few hours of testing..

It also has a parametric EQ system never seen in any other equipment and their DSD is unique and still unsurpassed which allows you to shape the sound in an exceptional way, dynamics, instrument separation, stage dimensions... It can also ruin it though if you don't learn how to use it..

Compared to the other models it has a sound that I would define as analogue with excellent transparency and details.. and a very complex balance to find..

Of course it is now limited without streaming and the latest Dap functions.. I recently heard the Cayin N7 and it was not superior at all.. I consider it excellent and soon I will be able to evaluate it better since I will have one.. from memory it was superior to the Sony NwWm1z..

The only serious flaw is that unfortunately it seems that Cowon will no longer produce Dap.. so assistance service etc.. then becomes complicated.. if I were to find one in good condition at a good price I would get another one..

Nov 19, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #640 of 668
Ali
For some, the Cowon PL is the Dap they absolutely prefer.. I have had many models of this brand, this is without a doubt their jewel in the crown..

I had noticed that the sound changes significantly during burning, so as for IEMs with DD and Planari drivers it really requires a running-in of several hours and I fear it is practically impossible to evaluate with a few hours of testing..

It also has a parametric EQ system never seen in any other equipment and their DSD is unique and still unsurpassed which allows you to shape the sound in an exceptional way, dynamics, instrument separation, stage dimensions... It can also ruin it though if you don't learn how to use it..

Compared to the other models it has a sound that I would define as analogue with excellent transparency and details.. and a very complex balance to find..

Of course it is now limited without streaming and the latest Dap functions.. I recently heard the Cayin N7 and it was not superior at all.. I consider it excellent and soon I will be able to evaluate it better since I will have one.. from memory it was superior to the Sony NwWm1z..

The only serious flaw is that unfortunately it seems that Cowon will no longer produce Dap.. so assistance service etc.. then becomes complicated.. if I were to find one in good condition at a good price I would get another one..
thank you. I am not surprised that the L is as good and if not slightly better sounding than the WM1Z but the 1ZM2 is quite a bit better. The top end Sony DAPs however can be modded to sound markly better than stock. One way to accomplish that is to replace the wiring from the audio board to either the single-end or balanced socket. Another is to bypass the relays all together and to connect directly to the output coils. These very same hardware mods can be applied to the ZX707, WM1A M1 & 2 as well as the WM1Z M1 & M2. The beauty of these players is that they are equipped with desktop audiophile grade capacitors and that can really make the positive impact to the sound especially dynamics.

Jan 8, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #641 of 668
Well, I just won an ebay auction for the L. Looking forward to finally own one of this. I will report back on the sound quality against my DX240 and mod zx707.

Mar 4, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #643 of 668
Hi folks, finally I got the mighty Plenue L! I was after it for 4 years, but it was always too expensive. I found a good deal and now it's here. And I'm impressed, it's almost as new, just some light scratches near the charging port. Cannot wait to test it and compare to my Plenue M2!

Attachments

• 20240304_205127.jpg
    20240304_205127.jpg
    699 KB · Views: 0
Mar 4, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #645 of 668
Hi folks, finally I got the mighty Plenue L! I was after it for 4 years, but it was always too expensive. I found a good deal and now it's here. And I'm impressed, it's almost as new, just some light scratches near the charging port. Cannot wait to test it and compare to my Plenue M2!
It’s really is a good DAP. Send to Steve NPaudio for even better sound!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back