New Cowon Player - Cowon X9
Aug 17, 2012 at 8:51 PM Post #46 of 97
Ok, same controls as the J3,...I stand corrected. But, the crappy screen and the way it's working (or NOT working,...) for you guys means I gotta pass on ANOTHER Cowon.

Man,...what the heck is their malfunction!!! Sony does stupid stuff, Cowon does th same,...don't they EVER listen to their customers?!?!?! :mad:

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #47 of 97
Haven't tested the FM recording yet, I will in the coming days. I have no Cowon line-in cable, so I can't test that. It works perfectly (as does the J3) under Windows 7 64, albeit sync in MTP (which I have to use if I want to have playlists) is fairly slow, apparently slower than on J3.

Aug 18, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #50 of 97
It all depends on what you expect. Basically it's "just" a glorified J3, with a bigger (albeit inferior) screen, crazy battery life (I don't know about 110 hours yet, but I've been playing this non stop today, and battery is still at 100%), and slightly different UI.
I don't care much about the screen; when I listen to stuff I don't watch the screen, and I intend to use this as a music player only indeed.

If you enjoy your PMP to have other uses, like watching lots of videos or playing etc this is obviously a bad choice.

If you're satisfied with the J3 and don't need/want insane battery life, then there's no need to get this.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #54 of 97
I'm just curious as to how I would use this with my only rig which is my portable rig. Do I just used mini to mini or do I meted some LOD?

Aug 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #55 of 97
After a few days of use, some summary:

Pros:
-Ridiculous battery life (I've had it for three days now, and have fully charged it when I received it. It's been used quite extensively for all this time, battery still shows 100%)
-Built like a tank. Feels much more solid than the J3. I don't think you can break this thing.
-Bigger, and also sports a larger screen (though that can be a minus for some).
-Awesome sound quality (exact same as J3).
-Apart for minor changes, same interface and UI as J3 - which, again, can be not so great for some.

Cons:
-Heavy
-Subpar screen, less reactive than J3's.
-Has a different way of working with MP3 files tags (whereas J3 takes "Contributing artist", X9 takes "Album artist"). Some problems with a few cover arts, also.
-Sync to internal memory is slower than on J3. SD card isn't affected though.
-Jet Effect 5 isn't anything more than a few presets slapped on top of JE3.
-Manages to have a matte finish all around and STILL taking to fingerprints like crazy.

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #56 of 97
Quote:
After a few days of use, some summary:

Pros:
-Ridiculous battery life (I've had it for three days now, and have fully charged it when I received it. It's been used quite extensively for all this time, battery still shows 100%)
-Built like a tank. Feels much more solid than the J3. I don't think you can break this thing.
-Bigger, and also sports a larger screen (though that can be a minus for some).
-Awesome sound quality (exact same as J3).
-Apart for minor changes, same interface and UI as J3 - which, again, can be not so great for some.

Cons:
-Heavy
-Subpar screen, less reactive than J3's.
-Has a different way of working with MP3 files tags (whereas J3 takes "Contributing artist", X9 takes "Album artist"). Some problems with a few cover arts, also.
-Sync to internal memory is slower than on J3. SD card isn't affected though.
-Jet Effect 5 isn't anything more than a few presets slapped on top of JE3.
-Manages to have a matte finish all around and STILL taking to fingerprints like crazy.

Thanks for the Pros/Cons. Would you recommend this over the J3 now having experienced it?

Aug 20, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #57 of 97
I love my J3, and I use mine for music & radio, no video, but they are getting harder to find.  Hope mine lasts a long time, or that Cowon can put out a good replacement by the time mine gives out. 

With my J3 (don't know about other Cowons), MediaMonkey is the only media software I have found that will sync album art without shrinking it down to 100x100 or something terrible like that.  I keep a "folder.jpg" and "cover.jpg" in every album folder, most at 300x300 and MediaMonkey syncs it as-is and the J3 shows it perfectly.

Aug 20, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #58 of 97
Quote:
I love my J3, and I use mine for music & radio, no video, but they are getting harder to find.  Hope mine lasts a long time, or that Cowon can put out a good replacement by the time mine gives out. 

With my J3 (don't know about other Cowons), MediaMonkey is the only media software I have found that will sync album art without shrinking it down to 100x100 or something terrible like that.  I keep a "folder.jpg" and "cover.jpg" in every album folder, most at 300x300 and MediaMonkey syncs it as-is and the J3 shows it perfectly.

I do the same with my foobar2k, and I dont have had problems with cover arts. shame I cant do the same with the lyrics.

Aug 24, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #59 of 97
Be great to hear from more people who own this player, as it is available locally for me (so many are not!).  Was tossing up between this or the c2 but this only cost slightly more and what with the better batter life, seems to be a winner.  And here, the j3 cost at least a hundred dollars more, so puts it well into another price bracket.

Aug 25, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #60 of 97
For what it's worth, coming from a J3, I'm fully satisfied with the X9 and enjoy the far better battery life. It's "limitations" are not a problem for me; frankly I couldn't care less about the screen as I use it exclusively as a music player, and everything else is up to speed. There aren't even bugs :wink: And it does sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back