New Cavalli Audio Liquid Glass Amplifier - Fall Release
Dec 29, 2012 at 12:30 AM Post #305 of 789
The Cavalli amps take quite a push to turn on or off. I've never had an issue but it is an odd feeling the first few times.

Still my favorite power switches I've had on gear though. They feel nice and I like the lack of 'compression'.

Dec 31, 2012 at 5:00 PM Post #307 of 789
Gents, regarding the power switch. There is information in the manual about its operation, however...

The piezo switch requires some amount of pressure in the center of the button where the LED is. The power sensing circuit has a built-in delay so that if you try to rapid fire the button it won't respond.

So, I think the best mode of operation is a deliberate push that puts pressure on the switch, but not repeated pushes. I've been using these switches in the amp since the beginning and they are dependable and consistent when they meet the specs.

Just FYI in case anyone is still having problems.

Will get back to you all as soon as I can first determine why the hum in some units.

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #308 of 789
Are these LG sold out, or held up to ascertain and fix this new problem?

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:52 PM Post #310 of 789
All I have to say is WOW , the construction of this amp is well beyond what I was expecting. I am glad that I waited before I decided to get a "real" cavalli amp for myself. SR#0001 
wink_face.gif
 , helps to know the right people. [size=small] I chose the black fascia - just gorgeous.[/size]

I had offered Alex to help take a closer look at this hum and I couldn't help myself - above image shows just how thick the panels are. The internal construction of this chassis has been so well engineered it has me seriously impressed. I am familiar with the first series and liked they way that they were put together but this is like nothing I have seen before. 

What I should have done is sat down and listened to it first as I am really battling to hear this hum. I cannot hear anything with my AKG or Audeze but can hear a very low level hum with the KSC75 ([size=small]15 Hz - 25 kHz; Nominal impedance: 60 ohms; [/size][size=small]Sensitivity[/size][size=small]: 101 dB/mW). If any owners can chime in and tell me what they are hearing I would be very grateful as I would not have batted an eyelid at what I am hearing. I have stock tubes running and it is set up on my test bench. [/size]

[size=small]This should not be a "by the way" but really great sound from the B&W test disc.[/size]

[size=small]looking forward to hearing from some of you so that I can try and figure out what some of you are hearing. [/size]

[size=small]..dB[/size]

Jan 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM Post #312 of 789
Quote:
Are these LG sold out, or held up to ascertain and fix this new problem?

Hi ServinginEcuador. I have been meaning to get around to this. I have temporarily stopped LG availability pending a fix. There are units left and they will go back on sale when this is resolved.

Many thanks to dBel84 for helping me track this down.

Edit: I made this post pretty quickly rushing out the door. To provide a few more details, my website CMS won't allow me to put up any other messages than Available or Out of Stock. So, in order to temporarily interrupt the ordering process I used the Out of Stock message. I've been pretty busy with all of the other CA things going on and have taken a little longer to make this post that I had planned. Thanks.

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #313 of 789
Just thought I would keep a rolling account of the process and thanks to those who responded to me privately. I have partially dismantled my amp to have easier access and am at the point where I need even more access after this weekends investigation. I am still having a hard time hearing this hum/buzz but I don't think it is a grounding issue. I lifted the ground and then you hear tube amp hum - it is a lower pitch to the other noise that I have been focusing on which points towards this not being a simple wiring/grounding thing. It reminds me of mechanical transformer noise but these r-cores are over engineered and I would be very surprised if this is part of the issue. I also pretty much disconnected and tested anything that I could - input plate, volume pot, tube cage, chassis grounding vesrsus star ground ... 

One peculiar thing was that at one point the noise did go away completely - it was in the midst of tube changing and probing about with my scope , when I went back to it after an hour or so ,  I could discern the same noise as before. Overall I was having a very hard time hearing this noise and I know that the ksc's are not the most sensitive but I tried some 16 ohm earbuds too and at that point the background gain becomes more of an issue than the noise which is present when no signal is playing. I cannot hear a thing with my higher impedance / less efficient headphones which is a real pain to try and figure it out. 

I will keep you updated as I progress , hoping current owners are still able to enjoy the magical sound of this amp , it really is something special ( to me ). 

..dB

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #314 of 789
Gents, I am very happy to announce that we have found a fairly simple fix for the low level buzz in the Liquid Glass.
o2smile.gif

As you all know I stopped sales of the amp a while ago because of this problem. However, the fix seems to be consistent across units and so, for those of you who want an LG, they are back. Of course, no amp will leave the workshop without a very careful listening test.
wink.gif

I will turn on availability on the CA website within the next 24 hours.

I have tested the amp with my AD2000s (my Canary in the bird cage headphones). Very quiet. No sign of buzz and a small amount of low level hiss. YMMV on hiss depending on the tubes you're using, but the amp seems to be quiet now.

Those individuals who took delivery of LGs before production was stopped will, obviously, have their amps fixed. Unfortunately, it's not a field fix so they'll have to be returned to CA at no cost to the buyer. I'll will contact all of the current owners to get this done.

Now, off to start contacting all of you who have asked me about LL2 and getting it into full production.

Thanks for everyone's patience. More to come. Lots more.

Feb 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #315 of 789
awesome Alex!! Am guiessing Don had something to do with figuring out a fix for this.. kudos all around and great customer service. WIshing all the best to my favorite amplifier manufacturer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back