New canal phones suggestions
Nov 15, 2005 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
Edit - this thread is old - please see my 4th post of this thread for my current question.

I've lost one of the little rubber ear pieces from my EX71's, that's as good an excuse as any to get some new canal phones
smily_headphones1.gif
I've not been around here in a while, so I don't know what's current.

I really like the sound of my EX71s, they have plenty of bass and they're clear enough. I like that they give some isolation but not total. I had Shure E3's for a while, I hated them, the bass was crappy and the highs weren't clear, to my ears, so don't suggest Shures. I don't like the look of EX81s.

Source: 3 year old creative mp3 player, reasonably powerful amp in it, 128 or 192kbps mp3's. I don't need anything uber-expensive, lets set the budget at US$200 max, and hope to get something cheaper.

Any suggestios?

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 22
If you have Creative EP-630 canals in your local area, I recommend giving them a try. They sound like the Sharp MD33. (the latter is fine too, but you've got to play around with a very long cord)

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 22
Bass Bass Bass.......there is no more frequent word around here than BASS. Good sound. Realistic sound does not have bass as its' be all and end all parameter. When is the last time you attended a LIVE performance - at least to re-acquaint your ears to what real instruments, and a live human voice sound like. There is a preference for either a "comfortable" or an "edgy" sound, rather what is the reality of a live performance. To re-acquaint ones' ears to live performance used to be a regularly recommended practice for anyone who wished to pursue an "audiophile" standard, or who simply wished to better enjoy the equipment and recordings they owned..pls go to some live performance, and then start auditoning various iem's or headphones (they're your ears, unlike those of others). Your perceptions will change.......with my ipod I use Senn.HD25 or Etymotic 6i amped - don't consider them to be reproducing live performance - just satisfactory listening.

Nov 15, 2005 at 10:43 PM Post #5 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by commando
I can get the creative EP630's in NZ, it's odd because usually you can't get anything else worth having here! I'd forgotten about MD33's as well, any thoughts from anyone who's used both?

I remember thinking about the ER6i's a while back, are they still worth considering?

if you didn't like the bass on the e3c then don't go for the ety's cause they've got less bass.

The MD-33 and the EP-630 are basically the same phones. I've listened to them both and couldn't hear the difference. The MD-33 has a 4-pole plug though, so you need the extension cord (4-pole-3pole) if you want to plug it in an 3 pole mp3 player (which your probably is). the EP-630 can be plugged in directly.

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 22
Now it really is time to replace my EX-71s, they're just about falling to pieces, but they've lasted 3 years or so and have had a lot of abuse. I'd happily get more if I could get them in New Zealand, but I can't source any locally.

The creative EP-630 still sounds like a good plan, but i'm thinking of other options. I'm considering one of the custom moulded types, I don't know much about them though so i'm open to suggestions. What sort of price would I be paying for a decent one? I like my EX-71s, and I really didn't like Shure E3's, so that's a clue about the type of sound I like.

Thanks for any thoughts
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 16, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #8 of 22
i am going to throw this thought in since i just got em, wrote extensively in the other thread.

try the v-moda vibe...

bass is their specialty, but mids and highs are great too...
and they are comfy and lil =]

Nov 16, 2006 at 9:56 PM Post #9 of 22
If you liked the Sonys, the Creatives would be a safe bet, at a lower price than you could pay under the influence of Head-Fi posters eager to help you spend your money. (Having said that, look into the Westone UM1's!
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

To me the Creatives sound louder and clearer than the Sonys, but still with a bass presence. Very similar form and fit (I'd say the Sonys are just a bit more comfortable, but the difference there is not great.) The Creative's cords are sturdier, but would create some microphonics. For me, a trade-off at this price level are the sturdiness and the symmetrical "Y" configuration of the cords to the left and right earpieces. I'm not listening critically through the Creatives, so the microphonics effect doesn't bother me ... YMMV.

Nov 16, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS
i am going to throw this thought in since i just got em, wrote extensively in the other thread.

try the v-moda vibe...

bass is their specialty, but mids and highs are great too...
and they are comfy and lil =]

QFT. It's a no brainer. The Vibes are the best out imho...

Ply

Nov 17, 2006 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaBreaHead
If you liked the Sonys, the Creatives would be a safe bet, at a lower price than you could pay under the influence of Head-Fi posters eager to help you spend your money. (Having said that, look into the Westone UM1's!
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

To me the Creatives sound louder and clearer than the Sonys, but still with a bass presence. Very similar form and fit (I'd say the Sonys are just a bit more comfortable, but the difference there is not great.) The Creative's cords are sturdier, but would create some microphonics. For me, a trade-off at this price level are the sturdiness and the symmetrical "Y" configuration of the cords to the left and right earpieces. I'm not listening critically through the Creatives, so the microphonics effect doesn't bother me ... YMMV.

Ah crap, I just ordered some, I didn't realise about the stupid Y cord, I WAY prefer uneven cord lengths. They're only $50 so I don't mind if they just keep me going until I get something better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by plywood99
QFT. It's a no brainer. The Vibes are the best out imho...

Once I see some more reviews i'll consider them... anyone who has them, add them to www.headphonereviews.org !

Nov 17, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #12 of 22
Don't the EX71s have *HUGE* bass? If this is the case and you are happy with their sound, I suspect that you will be disappointed with any of the reccomendations above.

Some of the above will have more "accurate" bass than the EX71s, but it will be "less bass" than what you are used to.

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbdmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't the EX71s have *HUGE* bass? If this is the case and you are happy with their sound, I suspect that you will be disappointed with any of the reccomendations above.

Some of the above will have more "accurate" bass than the EX71s, but it will be "less bass" than what you are used to.

Yes the EX71 bass is pretty big, i'd sacrifice some of it for a bit more clarity in the treble. I have some of the creative ones on the way, they'll do me for a while, i'll probably get some high end canal phones some time.

Nov 18, 2006 at 4:12 AM Post #14 of 22
I too am looking for some canal earphones to replace my ipod ones. Dont really want to spend more than say A$150. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

I'll use ebay if someone can recommend a good seller.

Nov 18, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #15 of 22
I'll chuck in the Audio Technica's CK7 into the mix. You can import them for approx $110 including delivery to Oz. Keep in mind that Í would not be considered a bass head - my dissapointment in the Shure E3s were the lack of highs; not lack of bass. I've never tried any of the Sonys so can't provide a direct comparison.

pauls

Users who are viewing this thread

Back