New: Burson Audio Play Amp/DAC (2W@16Ohm) (op-amp rollers dream)
Jun 2, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #571 of 1,256
Pic with rev# attached here too. You can clrealy see rev# V2.2

PLAY_PCB_revision#.png

Jun 3, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #574 of 1,256
We just finished our review of the Play in Vivid, Basic and Classic formats. I actually really like it, especially in Classic format. Solid device though I have less use for gaming than hooking it up as a pure DAC or amp.

https://headfonics.com/2018/06/burson-play-review-ready-player-one/

The current version is also a lot quieter for IEMs though the impedance issue means IEMs over 30 ohms will sound better.

Jun 4, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #575 of 1,256
Listening with my HD580s as I write this. I was going to do a review at this stage but as the Play is getting better every time I listen to it I'll wait until I've got about 150 hours of burn in. The one thing I will say is that this is removing more of the Sennheiser veil each time I listen. Now with my Flares. (I've come to the conclusion that Flares own tips don't do the trick. I'm experimenting with Spinfits and Spiral Dots at the moment). Will watch the thread with interest.

Jun 5, 2018 at 1:41 AM Post #576 of 1,256
We just finished our review of the Play in Vivid, Basic and Classic formats. I actually really like it, especially in Classic format. Solid device though I have less use for gaming than hooking it up as a pure DAC or amp.

The current version is also a lot quieter for IEMs though the impedance issue means IEMs over 30 ohms will sound better.

Great review, though the output impedance is about 0.4-0.5 Ohms when driving 32-ohms cans with 1kHz sine-wave. Feel free to measure it by yourself. Thank you!

Jun 6, 2018 at 5:19 AM Post #578 of 1,256
I'm impressed with Play's sound quality, especially with V6 Vivid op-amps. It's neutral, but precise, with deep bass, airy highs and clean and resolving midrange. I also enjoy the wide soundstage with V6 Vivid. I had a chance to check also V6 Classic and Basic configurations. I prefer V6 Vivid over the V6 Classic, but I also like a little warmer, smoother and more midrange-focused sound of V6 Classic. In my opinion, V6 Classic works great in jazz music, but Vivid version is more versatile. Play Basic is also quite nice - it's dynamic, neutral and clean but mild. For my taste, its soundstage is too narrow - V6 configurations sounds much more spacious.

I haven't checked mixing V6 op-amps yet. Perhaps V6 Vivid in the DAC stage and Classic in the AMP stage is a good way to go.

If you're interested, my review is available at https://kropka.audio/test/wzmacniacze/burson-play-basic-v6-vivid-oraz-v6-classic-recenzja/. It's written in Polish, but Google Translate should do. If not, maybe It's worth checking the photos.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #579 of 1,256
I'm impressed with Play's sound quality, especially with V6 Vivid op-amps. It's neutral, but precise, with deep bass, airy highs and clean and resolving midrange. I also enjoy the wide soundstage with V6 Vivid. I had a chance to check also V6 Classic and Basic configurations. I prefer V6 Vivid over the V6 Classic, but I also like a little warmer, smoother and more midrange-focused sound of V6 Classic. In my opinion, V6 Classic works great in jazz music, but Vivid version is more versatile. Play Basic is also quite nice - it's dynamic, neutral and clean but mild. For my taste, its soundstage is too narrow - V6 configurations sounds much more spacious.

I haven't checked mixing V6 op-amps yet. Perhaps V6 Vivid in the DAC stage and Classic in the AMP stage is a good way to go.

If you're interested, my review is available at https://kropka.audio/test/wzmacniacze/burson-play-basic-v6-vivid-oraz-v6-classic-recenzja/. It's written in Polish, but Google Translate should do. If not, maybe It's worth checking the photos.
Very interesting and detailed review. I am not sure if Google translate did a proper job, so just wanted to check: did I understand well that the bass is strongest in the Basic version? I am thinking of upgrading to Classic, but wouldn't be happy with less bass than the Basic has.

Jun 6, 2018 at 8:26 AM Post #580 of 1,256
Very interesting and detailed review. I am not sure if Google translate did a proper job, so just wanted to check: did I understand well that the bass is strongest in the Basic version? I am thinking of upgrading to Classic, but wouldn't be happy with less bass than the Basic has.

In my opinion Basic is a little more bass-prominent than Vivid and fuller in bass than Classic. It's because Vivid is more linear and stronger in presence region, but it's still deep and punchy in bass region. I find V6 Classic to be a little bit rolled off in subbas and high tones in comparison to Basic and Vivid, thus midbass and midrange are closer resulting in milder, warmer and more "classic" sound signature in V6 Classic. Names of the op-amps are perfectly adequate :)

Maybe consider V6 Vivid? I find V6 Vivid to be great upgrade for Basic, not the V6 Classic. Vivid is also neutral, has full bodied bass, much wider soundstage (cause of better channel separation), higher dynamics and sound resolution. It's a little bit rougher on the edges, more analytical, but still sounds enjoyable and fun.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 8:40 AM Post #581 of 1,256
In my opinion Basic is a little more bass-prominent than Vivid and fuller in bass than Classic. It's because Vivid is more linear and stronger in presence region, but it's still deep and punchy in bass region. I find V6 Classic to be a little bit rolled off in subbas and high tones in comparison to Basic and Vivid, thus midbass and midrange are closer resulting in milder, warmer and more "classic" sound signature in V6 Classic. Names of the op-amps are perfectly adequate :)

Maybe consider V6 Vivid? I find V6 Vivid to be great upgrade for Basic, not the V6 Classic. Vivid is also neutral, has full bodied bass, much wider soundstage (cause of better channel separation), higher dynamics and sound resolution. It's a little bit rougher on the edges, more analytical, but still sounds enjoyable and fun.
Thanks a lot.
Dynamic and big soundstage of Vivid sound great to me but I am afraid of getting too hot treble when paired with the AKGs and Beyers. Listening mostly to classical music and jazz, I am looking for less upbeat but more natural, well classic sound :)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #582 of 1,256
For classical music and jazz V6 Classic is great. In that case strong subbas isn't needed and V6 Classic still has deep midbass and doesn't sound thin. It's warmer, more natural than Basic or Vivid. With Ether 1.1 oraz Audeze LCD-2 midrange sounds terrific with V6 Classic - trumpets, saxophones and vocals are close and saturated. There's "more soul" in music than in Basic or Vivid, which sound more technical. In my opinion Vivid's soundstage is the widest, but Classic soundstage is still decent and has more depth. It's more spacious sounding than Basic, for sure.

Vivid isn't too hot in treble, but for brighter headphones V6 Classic is indeed a better choice.

Jun 6, 2018 at 2:32 PM Post #583 of 1,256
Great review, though the output impedance is about 0.4-0.5 Ohms when driving 32-ohms cans with 1kHz sine-wave. Feel free to measure it by yourself. Thank you!

Thanks man. I did actually, still rated at 8ohm for me and confirmed with Burson. I also tested known IEMs such as Andromeda and the low-z skew was pretty easy to hear as well as being corrected with IEMatch cables. I wonder though why some are reporting the low output resistance. Variations?

Jun 6, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #584 of 1,256

I agree your review is very well done, I plan on getting this amp soon V6 classic..enjoy

Jun 6, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #585 of 1,256
[...]I wonder though why some are reporting the low output resistance. Variations?
Because it's much lower. :)
Like I said, with 1kHz sine-wave and 32 Ohms dummy resistor I got an output impedance of less than 0.5 Ohms. However, there's no 8 Ohms resistor after the output stage transistor in case someone is wondering.
Most likely, with 20kHz sine-waves and 8 Ohms dummy resistor (or headphones) the output impedance would be higher, haven't measured because I don't use 8 Ohms cans.

About measuring the output impedance, the long story here: and the short story here: http://homediyelectronics.com/tutorials/howtomeasureoutputimpedance/.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back