NEW! Bose QC25 2014
Sep 4, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 368
For some reason I'm really liking that matte yellow finish, even though I'm not usually one for bright headphones. Nonetheless, I'm hoping that Bose took a page out of Beats book a la the Solo2 and made these sound better with better build. Their NC has always been top notch, and even though the sound quality isn't perfect, it's nice to completely wipe away that engine noise on a long plane flight or train ride. Color me intrigued!

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 368
Well, I picked up a pair today. They are very similar to the already excellent QC15s. I'll do some A-Bing them with my current portable headphones on hand (QC15, XS, T51p) and then I'll update them on my comparative review thread.

In case anyone is interested in a great deal on the QC15s, please see my signature. 
redface.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #8 of 368
@bubsdaddy, this picture is for you. The QC25 makes you a good head, no more of the atrocious gape you mentioned.

Ok, just to be clear, no the plush-monkey doesn't hold a miniature sun in my apartment. And yes, my plant would benefit from the aforementioned miniature sun.

Noise cancellation is really really good. I'm putting them to the test right now with a portable A/C on, and QC25 are impressive. I remember the QC15 being really good too, in the store, but I can't actually compare the 2, since I don't have the 2 at hand. But Bose says they improve the NC and the SQ. I'll take that as true.

They look awesome. Really. I don't know if they're that good, or just really better than QC15, but for me, QC25 is a success. The matte finish is so attractive (that's objective though, but I do enjoy that kind of color, at least for headphones). I just don't know if I like the denim-like material they choose for covering the top of the headband. At least, it is dark, so it doesn't catch attention too much. I wouldn't be shy wearing them outdoors, but I would've with QC15.

Build quality doesn't seem to be a problem. No rattling, cracking or anything, yet they are very light for what they are (NC + battery). Comfort is supreme : it's like an angel's a** sitting around each of your ears. I wore them for, like, 5 hours straight, and not the smaller hint of pain or sore. I feel I could keep them on all night long without any problem. They also have a considerable amount of head padding, that helps your scalp being relaxed.

Sound quality, well, they have not played a lot since I got them. I must wait a little. But I can say that they need power. Straight in the computer, it needs to be 75% of max volume for coming to life. I doubt, but maybe this will be corrected after burn-in, if they even need it. I'll wait anyway.

All in all, you must see and try them for yourself. US$300 (CAN$330) is a smart price IMO. They seems to be better than QC15 in all department, with the same retail price. Same, too, as the Beats Studio. But Studio's NC can't compare to Bose's. Nothing can, honestly.

BTW, the colored ones in the first post will sell for US$400 in November. That's ridiculous I think, since the matte black are cool enough for 100$ cheaper.

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #11 of 368

Thank goodness for that.

I took the picture with an almost 45° angle, so it's not much apparent. In fact, you still have a gape and you will always have (except if you have V-Moda XS), but a "normal" one, like Beats Studio for example. The frame descends gently 'till the cups, instead of making a detour to nowhere like before.

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 368
  Here's the official link.

I'm happy these don't require a AAA battery to work! (That's the main thing I hate about the QC15.)

If they have better sound quality, maybe they would be worth getting for portable listening situations that require noise cancelling.

Mine does need a AAA battery to operate. What you probably wanted to say is that you can now listen to your music if the battery dies!!! Audio looses its extra kick, but it's better like this than having absolutely nothing. Great improvement.

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #14 of 368
  Mine does need a AAA battery to operate. What you probably wanted to say is that you can now listen to your music if the battery dies!!! Audio looses its extra kick, but it's better like this than having absolutely nothing. Great improvement.

Yes, that's what I meant: you can listen to music without the battery, whereas with the QC15, they don't work at all without the battery.

Oh, so the sound quality actually decreases when the noise cancelling is deactivated? I guess it's due to the internal amp or whatever technology it is.

Sep 6, 2014 at 3:28 AM Post #15 of 368

Yes, that's what I meant: you can listen to music without the battery, whereas with the QC15, they don't work at all without the battery.

Oh, so the sound quality actually decreases when the noise cancelling is deactivated? I guess it's due to the internal amp or whatever technology it is.

That's the counterpart of being able to use it without battery. NC off the sound is more flat, not in an audiophile way that is. Duller I must say. Bass drop their intensity, treble is less sparkly.
Bose probably wanted you to know (or to think) that their NC is not just good at NC, but at SQ too. Maybe it's the internal amp, as you said. Or maybe I just don't know!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back