New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Sep 16, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #781 of 1,960
I was quite blown away in the listening session today, to my ears they fixed everything that was wrong with the first generation! Only minor complaints might be that thet didnt feel as comfortable as I remember the gen 1 to be. Maybe replacement pads will take care of that?

Sep 17, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #782 of 1,960
It was my first impression too!

But after few weeks pads starting to be more comfortable and little more thinner/softer in some places. Bass quantity increases a bit.
But the most important thing, this memory foam is softer/more comfortable when pads are ... warm. After 2 h in headphones they are super soft and comfortable.

Conclusion... keep headphones in not so cold places :wink:

PS. Winter is coming!

Sep 17, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #783 of 1,960
That's great, thank you asmagnus!
I still can't figure out why these headphones aren't getting more attention. I'm by no means an audiophile or expert, but overall I prefered the TP5 to my Audeze XC's, and they are less than half the price!

Sep 17, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #784 of 1,960
Fortunately for us T5p 2nd gen. are too cheap for accumulate more attention form global market. Thank You Beyerdynamic! Beyerdynamic is smart, Yes they could charge twice for T5p but probably now they sell more (economies of scale) because they have "cheep" TOTL.

One of my colleagues (audiophile and music lover) thinks that T5p.2. match quality  HiFi HE1000 or others TOTL, of course they are different sounding but on the same level.

PS. Eric, You can try pads from Brainwavz (for HM5), on one polish audio forum the are popular with T1/T5p

I even have this, but haven't tried yet:

http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin

Some say that this model is far better from stock
http://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/accessories/products/headphone-memory-foam-earpads-sheep-skin-leather-angled

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #786 of 1,960
No problem mate.
Let us all know about your personal feelings when you pair it all and plug in :)

Sep 19, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #787 of 1,960

Thanks for this awesome recommendation! The first Equalizer where I don't feel like all other frequencies suffer from a little bass boost (I've added 6db to 25, 7db to 40 and 63 and 1db at 100hz)! Now I can turn up the bass for EDM to make it sound like less peircing version of the DT1770pro :)
Do you maybe also have a recommendation for an Android EQ-App which does this well? The ones I tried so far all seemed to distort other frequencies too much when I applied some bass boost, also resulting in a much lower overall volume.
Could you also comment on how well the Fiio E12 works with the T5p 2nd? I'd like a little more warmth in my listening (coming from Sabre ESS9018 K2M in Meizu Pro 5 with Tidal) and think of bypassing the integrated AMP..

@ all: Did anyone pair the T5P with a Dragonfly Red? If so, how's the pairing?
Last but not least: which cables are compatible to the T5P? I'd like to exchange to a lighter, thinner cable, as the standard one is a little annoying to use when outside the house..

@asmagus
: Concerning the earpad mods: Does changing the earpads to the HM5 Brainwavez Pads increase isolation? I've found it to be worse than my PSB M4U2 before and like to increase it..

Sep 19, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #788 of 1,960
Like i said earlier, haven't tried them yet. My colleague did, and in his opinion this pads (meant for HM5) isolate better, so also bass is more punchy.

Sep 20, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #789 of 1,960
  Like i said earlier, haven't tried them yet. My colleague did, and in his opinion this pads (meant for HM5) isolate better, so also bass is more punchy.

Did he used the regular or angled pads, synthetic or lamb skin leather? I wonder if the angled ones mess up the soundstage, since the drivers are already angled.
Sorry for all those questions. I'm really interested, as the regular pads are a little uncomfortably pressing on my earlobes.. Would be great if you could also give the pads a try and report to us :wink:
Thanks!

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #792 of 1,960
Thanks for this awesome recommendation! The first Equalizer where I don't feel like all other frequencies suffer from a little bass boost (I've added 6db to 25, 7db to 40 and 63 and 1db at 100hz)! Now I can turn up the bass for EDM to make it sound like less peircing version of the DT1770pro
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you maybe also have a recommendation for an Android EQ-App which does this well? The ones I tried so far all seemed to distort other frequencies too much when I applied some bass boost, also resulting in a much lower overall volume.
Could you also comment on how well the Fiio E12 works with the T5p 2nd? I'd like a little more warmth in my listening (coming from Sabre ESS9018 K2M in Meizu Pro 5 with Tidal) and think of bypassing the integrated AMP..

@ all: Did anyone pair the T5P with a Dragonfly Red? If so, how's the pairing?
Last but not least: which cables are compatible to the T5P? I'd like to exchange to a lighter, thinner cable, as the standard one is a little annoying to use when outside the house..

@asmagus
: Concerning the earpad mods: Does changing the earpads to the HM5 Brainwavez Pads increase isolation? I've found it to be worse than my PSB M4U2 before and like to increase it..

For android is there a specific app you use? I recommend USB Audio Player Pro. I use it when I connect my phone to a DAC/AMP, but it's also great to listen to music out of your phone. It comes with Toneboosters' parametric EQ plugin. It's great. I tamed my new Focal Elear headphones using that EQ and it really made them enjoyable.  You have to buy it, but it's only a few dollars I guess, it was so cheap i forgot :)))
E12 is my favorite amp. I use T5p with E12 all the time. I only have the iFi Micro iDSD to compare and if you are looking for warmth for T5p then I can recommend E12. But don't take my word for it. This is such a compact, practical yet powerful amp that sounds great, I may be a bit biased :))) 

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #793 of 1,960
Even though they are closed-back, these headphones still leak a great deal. Anyone used them in library? I don't want to use IEM's anymore, but afraid that it will disturb people...

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #794 of 1,960
@The Walrus

You will disturb only neighbours while using T5p.2. on stock pads. Maybe after few months of intensive use stock pads will become flatter and will isolate better, after three weeks with my T5p.2. (aprox. 2h a day usage) i see that they have change shape a little.
I have a question, how do You compare T1.2 low end with T5p.2 low end? Is there a big difference in bass reproduction (and with one is better)? Can you also point 3 bigest difference between sound of this headphones? I can't find Frequency Response graphs for T1.2 and T5p.2 made in this same conditions.
Thanks for answer.

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #795 of 1,960
  @The Walrus

You will disturb only neighbours while using T5p.2. on stock pads. Maybe after few months of intensive use stock pads will become flatter and will isolate better, after three weeks with my T5p.2. (aprox. 2h a day usage) i see that they have change shape a little.
I have a question, how do You compare T1.2 low end with T5p.2 low end? Is there a big difference in bass reproduction (and with one is better)? Can you also point 3 bigest difference between sound of this headphones? I can't find Frequency Response graphs for T1.2 and T5p.2 made in this same conditions.
Thanks for answer.

That's great news, I'm sure I can find an isolated table where I won't disturb anyone then :)  Thanks.
As for the bass reproduction, yes there's a big difference. T5p.2 has really rich and deep bass that doesn't get "muddy" (if that is the correct term to describe it) I enjoy the bass section of T5p.2 with almost every genre I listen to, especially symphonic pieces. Except for bass guitar heavy, heavy-metal maybe. (Think Nightwish)  That's the only time I sort of want to go to the EQ and tune down the low end.
T1.2 is another story. I find it to be better tuned than T5p.2 The bass is not as deep as T5p.2 but it doesn't mean that it is lacking. It is as punchy as T5p and I tend to enjoy rock and especially heavy metal more with T1.2. Being an open-back headphone, the overall feel is airy, including the bass. All in all they are both exceptional headphones and I think they compliment one another. Sorry, I'm really bad in describing audio in words, but you really have to compare them for yourself. I couldn't find the FR graphs either. The three biggest difference would be, 1 - The bass, 2 - The airy sound and as a result better imaging or sound stage of T1.2  and 3 - T1.2 is a little bit brighter than T5p.2
hope this helps a bit :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back