New Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation
Jan 15, 2017 at 3:56 AM Post #976 of 1,956
Bill,

I agree that whole Dave Mathews Band track is a bit on the "bright" side when listening with the Beyers.

I then did a direct comparison with my Sennheiser HD650 and its a lot more balanced. Some mixes just don't suit certain headphones (Perhaps that's why we need so many pairs :) ).

What volume levels do you listen at? I found the Beyers when turned down just a little bit made the track more balanced. A Lower volume level toned down the snare drum hits and the vocals.

I don't use EQ myself but this track may be a good example of where EQ may match the music to the Headphone.

Jan 15, 2017 at 7:44 AM Post #977 of 1,956
Hey Bill,
the pads were easy to install compared to the original ones. They have a very stretchable lip which you can easily stretch over the edges of the cups.
I guess it took 10mins tops the first time, 5mins the second time.
Comfort is really nice, I don't have any issues with pressure on my earlobes anymore as the pads very comfortably make use of memory foam.
However, general pressure increases a bit, although not to any uncomfortable levels. This has the benefit that the headphones feel more secure
on my head now while on the go, actually more comparable to the fit of my old PSB headphones, though with mush more plush earpads. 

I've tried the David Matthews Band song on youtube, since it wasn't available on Tidal.
There was a source with 1080p quality, so I guess the audio quality was at least 320kbits because highs, soundstage and seperation had nice details.
The recording does indeed sound quite bright in general, but I didn't experience any sibilance with the modded T5p in combination with Dragonfly Red. 
Maybe the subtle filtering of treble comes in handy at this point. I guess that song would sound really harsh on my Dunu DN2000j though!

So yeah, I'd recommend trying to switch the earpads, since they can also be easily used on a lot of other headphones if they don't fit your
taste in combination with the T5p Gen2. Maybe I would try the lambskin leather ones, if they are even more comfortable compared to pleather (they
weren't available in the angled version when I ordered). Hope that helps!

PS: You can also find a review of T5p Gen1 by "Z reviews" on youtube which confirms my findings in switching to different pads, although by using ZMF earpads which also do the trick

Jan 15, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #978 of 1,956
OK, we're in business.

After spending a week wishing my Beyer's had the pads of my Denons I ... wait for it... pulled the pads off of my Denons and put them on my Beyers. Brilliant, I know. I'll post more later but these five year old pads are worn, frayed, grimey and wonderful. These phones have just gone from nearly unwearable to 'all day' headphones. I'm not noticing any difference in sound quality and if anything I would expect that these better fitting and slightly angled pads have improved the seal and isolation.

Steve and svemo thanks for your posts on this very much.

It's late and football is on so I'll post more later in the week, especially after the Brainwavz pads come in but I wanted to at least post a quick update that the comfort level of these phones/pads can definitely be improved if the stock pads aren't working for you.

Cheers
-Bill

Jan 16, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #982 of 1,956
...the pads were easy to install compared to the original ones. They have a very stretchable lip which you can easily stretch over the edges of the cups.

A few pages back I posted a (dis-)assembly project and the excerpt below shows a definite advantage of the 2nd gen...
beerchug.gif

...TheT5p.2's retainer ring has a v-slot designed to make child's play of getting the pad back on
beyersmile.png
30418556660_97e662c1d1_c.jpg

30418553500_de71946bd4_c.jpg

Thread the pad's lip into the v-slot and now "feed" the pad through said slot...
30630640131_61d30e968b_c.jpg

...until it is completely inserted...
30418560630_e0433fb342_c.jpg

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #983 of 1,956
So guys, Which one is better for T5p2 angled driver, a straighten or an angled pad? 

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #984 of 1,956
  I wonder is these are better than Audeze LCD2

It depended on the Dac/Amp combo for me.  With my Yulung A18/D18 combo (warm and forgiving), I preferred the LCD-2 pre-fazor.  With my Burson Conductor/Virtuoso (Analytical), I preferred the  T5p.2.  The LCD2's sounded about the same on both systems, but the T5p.2 went to another level on the Burson.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #985 of 1,956
  So guys, Which one is better for T5p2 angled driver, a straighten or an angled pad? 

Switching to the pads from my Denon D2000's the 'wearability' of these phones is significantly better, basically night and day. I was really worried for a few days that I was going to have to take a loss and resell my Beyer's on account of the uncomfortable fit. With the Denon pads though I  can suddenly wear these Beyer's pretty much all day. As such, from my personal experience I would say that replacement D2000 pads, which are angled, would be very worth considering.

These look like what I have on now for not much money:
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-AH-D2000-AH-D5000-AH-D7000-Headphones/dp/B00UBRVSNA

And I'm seeing these lambskin versions which I'll probably order soon as the few posts on Headfi regarding Lawton seem to be positive:
http://www.lawtonaudio.com/denonanglepads.html

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #986 of 1,956

Switching to the pads from my Denon D2000's the 'wearability' of these phones is significantly better, basically night and day. I was really worried for a few days that I was going to have to take a loss and resell my Beyer's on account of the uncomfortable fit. With the Denon pads though I  can suddenly wear these Beyer's pretty much all day. As such, from my personal experience I would say that replacement D2000 pads, which are angled, would be very worth considering.

These look like what I have on now for not much money:
https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-AH-D2000-AH-D5000-AH-D7000-Headphones/dp/B00UBRVSNA

And I'm seeing these lambskin versions which I'll probably order soon as the few posts on Headfi regarding Lawton seem to be positive:
http://www.lawtonaudio.com/denonanglepads.html

Did you try the Brainwavz Sheepskin angled version? The price seems to hit a sweet spot for me. The Denon replacement pads are nice cheap solution but doesn't look and feel as much comfortable as Brainwvz. The Lawton lambskin , heck, is on another level and not cheap.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:49 PM Post #987 of 1,956
  Did you try the Brainwavz Sheepskin angled version? The price seems to hit a sweet spot for me. The Denon replacement pads are nice cheap solution but doesn't look and feel as much comfortable as Brainwvz. The Lawton lambskin , heck, is on another level and not cheap.

I have a pair of Brainwavz Lambskin ordered and arriving Thursday. I ordered before trying my angled Denon pads on the Beyer's though and went with flat Lambskin Brainwavz. I will probably return them as I doubt they will work much better than the Denon pads I have on now. My Denon pads are pretty old and I can see myself indulging in the Lawton's soon. I did try on a pair of the Beyer T5p.2's with Brainwavz pads at the headphone store and they were perfectly suitable. The pair on those Beyer's were, I believe, flat and the hybrid version. I would guess that the angled Brainwavz Lambskins would be a lot better than the stock pads on the Beyer's, I'd imagine they would work very well.

Somewhere in this thread somebody put Mr. Speaker pads on their T5p.2s. I tried those pads on the Ether C Flows the other day and they are very very nice but I have no idea what the thicker pad would do to the Sound Quality of the angled T5p.2's.

Anyway, yeah, the Angled Lambskin Brainwavz seem like they'd work out well.

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #988 of 1,956
Just a very quick update that my Braimwavz flat lambskin pads arrived. They are Very comfortable, sound quality seems great to my ear, isolation is at least as good or better than with the stock pads and the new pads look great. Will try to post more later but just wanted to get it in here that these are great.

Jan 21, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #990 of 1,956
UPDATED: After a few hours of trying to put everything in place, I managed to succeed in putting on the angled earpads; It was really time-consuming but worth it. The stage hits deeper now as well as the bass; However, I do feel less clarity with the new earpads compared to the stock ones and they are getting really hot after some periods of usage maybe a hour or two. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back