New Beyerdynamic T1 (2nd Generation)
Dec 5, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #1,921 of 3,925
  Mine came with a 6.3mm jack... The package didn't have the usual celophane seal, but the cans appear completely unused....

Just in case you are not aware, the larger jack can be unscrewed to reveal the smaller jack.

Yes, I am also surprised that they don't seal the packaging.

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #1,923 of 3,925

I've used this website in the past and it's actually how I found a good deal (£611) on my T1 Gen 2s on the Amazon UK site. 

http://www.curiua.com

Price trackers are good for checking the price history, and for getting alerts of price drops, but they might not pick up lightning deals because of the frequency at which they poll the prices. There are also a lot of scammers on Amazon nowadays, and they seemed to appear about five months ago as can be seen from the price history. Pretty much all of the sharp negative spikes in the screen shot are scammers. At the moment there are a couple offering the T1.2 for about £300. The message in the item description gives it away as a scam: ,F.or O.rders P.lease k.ontact US: nikkimcg2 '@' procut4,CoM~ ~Thanks!

-Mark.

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #1,924 of 3,925
  Price trackers are good for checking the price history, and for getting alerts of price drops, but they might not pick up lightning deals because of the frequency at which they poll the prices. There are also a lot of scammers on Amazon nowadays, and they seemed to appear about five months ago as can be seen from the price history. Pretty much all of the sharp negative spikes in the screen shot are scammers. At the moment there are a couple offering the T1.2 for about £300. The message in the item description gives it away as a scam: ,F.or O.rders P.lease k.ontact US: nikkimcg2 '@' procut4,CoM~ ~Thanks!

-Mark.

Mark thanks for this. I'm surprised that scammers are getting away with appearing on Amazon. One thing I noticed is that when the super low offers appear from likely scammers, Amazon's own prices seem to drop significantly as well. At least that's what was going on when I ordered mine from Amazon. My guess is that Amazon's pricing algorithms kick in and lower their prices. Being in Mexico, Amazon is the only vendor that shipped the T1s here so I had to avoid the potential scammers anyways.

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #1,925 of 3,925
  aha. I bought that 1.4m cable and the earpad replacement as backup from Thormann. Since my first purchase was from them, they offered me a 5% discount for my next purhcase.

For the cable, there are some super expensive cables out there for T1 2nd. But none of them are worth the money. I won't be such a fool to pay £700 for a cable like KIMBER AXIOS cables for T1. 

However, a famous cable company called Purist Audio Design has finished their development for T1 2nd upgraded cable but hasn't released it yet for sale. I would believe that dedicated cable company rather than customizing own cables with super duper expensive materials on certain cable customization website.

T1's own cable is good enough. Some user even dissected the cable to show its inner structure between T1.1 (below) and T1.2 (upper) on some Chinese HIFI forum. In short, the stock cable is solid HIFI level one.

Thanks louisxiawei, I'm not really a believer in overly expensive cables. I think I'll order the 1.4m cable from Thormann. My plan is to keep the original cable and terminate it with an XLR once I get a balanced amp. I've had my eye on the Pioneer U05 DAC/amp and wondered how it would sound with the T1.2s.

-Mark.

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,926 of 3,925

Mark thanks for this. I'm surprised that scammers are getting away with appearing on Amazon. One thing I noticed is that when the super low offers appear from likely scammers, Amazon's own prices seem to drop significantly as well. At least that's what was going on when I ordered mine from Amazon. My guess is that Amazon's pricing algorithms kick in and lower their prices. Being in Mexico, Amazon is the only vendor that shipped the T1s here so I had to avoid the potential scammers anyways.

The scammers keep coming back and coming back. I would have thought that Amazon would have implemented something to look for certain characters, such as @, in item descriptions and automatically putting sellers accounts on hold because it's an obvious sign of fraud and contacting sellers outside of the Amazon platform is against their terms anyway.

-Mark.

Dec 5, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,927 of 3,925
Yes I recently could not believe there were 3 available GX1000's (Open Box) at about half price. After a purchase on Amazon.uk I get the email a week later saying "none in stock" you will not be charged

Dec 6, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #1,928 of 3,925
Any comoarisons of T1 2nd gen vs HD800 non S (older silver version)?
Sorry to ask again it's just there are only T1 2nd gen vs HD800S.
In general, does the T1 sound less open and airy than HD800? Because physically they look more like semi open.
My goal is to bave headphones that come closest to speakers.

Dec 7, 2016 at 11:28 AM Post #1,929 of 3,925
In general, does the T1 sound less open and airy than HD800? Because physically they look more like semi open.

Here are my thoughts on them from last January if you find it helpful:

OK

At long last I have some observations to offer regarding the Sennheiser HD-800, Beyerdynamic T1 ver. 2, and unexpectedly, the Beyerdynamic T1 original...

The Beyerdynamic originals were shipped to me by mistake, and our original auditions were performed with those BELIEVING that they were ver. 2s.  ( didn't watch videos about them until afterwards as I didn't want to have preconceptions colouring our judgements.  But afterwards, I saw that the headphone cables weren't removable, so called the vendor, who next-day'ed the version 2 direct from Beyerdynamic without question.  (Good service for a product shipping mis-step.)

So again, with the round-after round auditions, but this time with the ACTUAL version 2 Beyerdynamics.

No need to drag it out.  With our Schiit Audio ASGARD 2, iFi Micro iDSD, and iFi Micro CAN amps; the breakdown was with very little variation

• T1 & HD-800 neck & neck with almost every music track, DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, FLAC 44.1, or MP3
  • The HD-650s came in noticeably "second" to the HD-800 & T1 in all genres except blues or old-time 60s-80s "funk"  Think "Brothers Johnson" or "Funkadelic"

When the T1 2nd versions finally arrived, they just sounded as good as the 1st versions right out of the box.  After some burn-in, I went back and re-auditioned everything.

The 2nd version is VERY close to the 1st version.  I wouldn't say that they are "Sonically" different from each other.  At most, I'd say that the version 2s have the same characteristics, but the "jaggedness" of the upper end is smoothed a bit, but not lost.  The mids remain largely identical, and the bass is VERY close, but on certain tracks (Think Plant Ps' "Why Me" or Holst's "Mars The God of War") 

So in the end, for our household (STOCK); the Beyerdynamic T1 version 2 (Or even originals) are the best all-rounders.

The HD-800 are VERY nice!  Close/neck&neck with the T1s.  If you are interested in spending more to "Tube roll", modify headphones, or buy multi-thousand dollar amps in eternal pursuit of "The perfect sound", then I would not argue against claims that the HD-800 simply scales-up to even greater heights.  IT IS an incredible headphone, and has a noticeably "larger" soundstage.  But for us simple folk, who just want to plug-in and listen to incredible music from just about anything, the T1 (Either version) wins hands-down.

Audition List:
Windows 10 64-bit
FOOBAR2000 ver 1.3.5 (Flat Audio Profiles) / JRIVER Media Center 21  (Flat Audio Profiles)  All DSP enhancements "OFF"
iFi Micro iDSD USB DAC / FIIO e17 USB DAC
iFi Micro iDSD AMP / FIIO e17 AMP / iFi Micro iCAN AMP / SCHIIT Audio ASGARD 2 AMP

Music Files:
192kHz 24-Bit FLAC
DSD 2.8MHz 1 Bit DSF
44.1 16-Bit FLAC
Old, 8-Bit MP3

Bands:
YES
Van Morrison
Thelonious Monk
The Mood Blues
The Eagles
The Alan Parsons Project
Tesla
Simon & Garfunkle
Rush
Roger Waters
Ravel
Rachmaninov
Queen
Planet "P"
Pink Floyd
Peter Gabriel
Mozart
Michael Jackson
Miles Davis
Meatloaf
Metallica
Lionel Richie
Linked Horizon (Outstanding Fusion Mixture)
Kitaro
John Denver
Holst
Hayden
Hans Zimmer
Genesis
Funkadelic
Eric Clapton
Eddy Grant
Deep Purple
Daft Punk
Chesky Records (Ult. Demo Disc)
Billy Joel
Beethoven
Asia
Arturo Sandoval
AC/DC

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #1,931 of 3,925

There have been some helpful comments here and in many other posts on head fi. However, if you buy based on recommendations, make sure you can return the headphones if something goes wrong. Especially if you are picky. We all have different ears. I have bought on recommendations before only to realize that the headphones did not sound anything like they were advertised to my ears. It's better if you can audition them somewhere, either at a shop or a head fi meet. In this case though, I don't think you can go wrong with either the T1 or HD800.

Dec 10, 2016 at 7:31 PM Post #1,934 of 3,925
  It's very surprising there are no cheaper Chinese made cables to fit these headphones.

Here's one for 25 bucks: http://www.headphoneswarehouse.com/part/14282321/ 

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #1,935 of 3,925
  Here's one for 25 bucks: http://www.headphoneswarehouse.com/part/14282321/ 

I own several of those Neomusica branded cables, and I find them too stiff and the braided portion of the cable tends to unravel over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back