New beyerdynamic DT880 owners: could you check something for me?
Dec 8, 2010 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Argyris

Head-Fi's third most long-winded poster.
I've had my DT880 for several months now, and just recently I noticed that the cable strain relief into the left cup on mine is different from every picture I've ever seen. While the relief in these pictures (most of them just variations of the stock photo) is smooth and tapered, mine is the kind that has crenellations or "teeth". I'd take a picture, but my bad camera is bad and it wouldn't really tell you anything I haven't already said.

I have no doubt as to the authenticity of my pair. I got them sealed in-box from HeadRoom with all the warranty materials, an ad trying to sell me the T1, and the carrying bag. I'm just curious--is this something beyerdynamic has changed with the recent production run of these headphones? Could folks who recently ordered a pair of these check and tell me what your cable strain relief looks like, either smooth like the stock photos or "toothed" like mine? I'd appreciate it.

I hate starting a thread for something so silly, but repeated Google and Head-Fi forum searches didn't turn up anything conclusive. I'm just trying to work out if I'm the only one with one of these for some reason, or if there was a minor design change.

Dec 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi,

All the old strains used that were smooth are being used for the T1's now. The new ones look perforated.

I tried to order the old strains directly from Beyerdynamic and they would not sell them to me.

Quote:
I've had my DT880 for several months now, and just recently I noticed that the cable strain relief into the left cup on mine is different from every picture I've ever seen. While the relief in these pictures (most of them just variations of the stock photo) is smooth and tapered, mine is the kind that has crenellations or "teeth". I'd take a picture, but my bad camera is bad and it wouldn't really tell you anything I haven't already said.

I have no doubt as to the authenticity of my pair. I got them sealed in-box from HeadRoom with all the warranty materials, an ad trying to sell me the T1, and the carrying bag. I'm just curious--is this something beyerdynamic has changed with the recent production run of these headphones? Could folks who recently ordered a pair of these check and tell me what your cable strain relief looks like, either smooth like the stock photos or "toothed" like mine? I'd appreciate it.

I hate starting a thread for something so silly, but repeated Google and Head-Fi forum searches didn't turn up anything conclusive. I'm just trying to work out if I'm the only one with one of these for some reason, or if there was a minor design change.

Dec 9, 2010 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Hi,

All the old strains used that were smooth are being used for the T1's now. The new ones look perforated.

I tried to order the old strains directly from Beyerdynamic and they would not sell them to me.

Thanks a lot for the info. That's a bit odd that they reserved the smooth ones for the T1 and used a different kind for the premium DT cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back