New Beyer DT1350
Dec 3, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #3,661 of 4,010
The OPs description in this thread is very similar to what I'm experiencing . The mid bass is there but lacking rumble like its rolling off.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/646895/dt1350-where-is-my-bass

hmm.  is the clamping too tight? maybe thats throwing the sound off?  have you tried maybe wearing it a little bigger than what you feel is right or smaller?  Just trying to figure out whats going on here! 

Dec 3, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #3,662 of 4,010
hmm.  is the clamping too tight? maybe thats throwing the sound off?  have you tried maybe wearing it a little bigger than what you feel is right or smaller?  Just trying to figure out whats going on here! 

I think it's a seal issue atm personally, there's many cases through this thread I'll link ftom 2011. I think a combination of practice and the pads wearing in may solve the issue. I've already found if I not only adjust the positioning but also swivel the cups applying light pressure while wearing them the bass comes back. I've had other sessions where all of a sudden after 10 minutes the sound improves almost like magic, so I'm leaning towards finding my sweet spot. They're currently in the laundry burning away.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/533508/new-beyer-dt1350/960#post_7726714

Dec 3, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #3,666 of 4,010
If you are used to the clamping force of the DT1350, you will find the M500 very loose.

Regarding to the pivot durability, I found if you rotate it alot. It tends to get loose quite easily. I just dont ever rotate mine. I've been using my DT1350 for about 3 years now. Still like day 1.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #3,668 of 4,010
Here's my take on the bass:

I agree, it is quite neutral sounding. But it is not bass light - at all.
I might even say it is a bit north of neutral.

Comparison:
Q701 = south of neutral (bass light)
K550 = neutral
DT1350 = north of neutral
BUT of course... when comparing DT1350 to something like... Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear, then the DT1350 is obvious going to feel bass light.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #3,669 of 4,010
  Here's my take on the bass:

I agree, it is quite neutral sounding. But it is not bass light - at all.
I might even say it is a bit north of neutral.

Comparison:
Q701 = south of neutral (bass light)
K550 = neutral
DT1350 = north of neutral
BUT of course... when comparing DT1350 to something like... Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear, then the DT1350 is obvious going to feel bass light.

It all depends on what someone means by lots of bass.   The Momentum has a lot of mid-bass punch, while the DT1350 emphasizes the sub-bass thump.    The DT1350s are basshead cans...to someone who loves sub-bass. 

There should be some agreed upon terminology on what kind of low end should be considered basshead bass.  Personally, I think that a headphone with lots of mid-bass is what a we should all call a basshead can.

I own both models, and I don't think either one is bass light.   My K702 is both mid-bass and sub-bass light...but there is enough bass for me to still enjoy that model.

Dec 3, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #3,670 of 4,010

It all depends on what someone means by lots of bass.   The Momentum has a lot of mid-bass punch, while the DT1350 emphasizes the sub-bass thump.    The DT1350s are basshead cans...to someone who loves sub-bass. 

There should be some agreed upon terminology on what kind of low end should be considered basshead bass.  Personally, I think that a headphone with lots of mid-bass is what a we should all call a basshead can.

I own both models, and I don't think either one is bass light.   My K702 is both mid-bass and sub-bass light...but there is enough bass for me to still enjoy that model.

I don't think one needs to go that in-depth with the word bass; especially the difference between mid-bass and sub-bass.

Bass should be taken as is, when you hear it, you know it is bass (e.g. you would not call mid, bass)

I can make an argument that, what defines sub-bass? Then you would have to give me an argument on a range of frequencies say (e.g. X hz-Y hz). But then what if a headphone have an insane amount of bass at Y + 0.1 hz. Would you suddenly move it to the next category? But the next category is mid-bass, it would be absurd to say then a headphone that excels at Y + 0.1 hz is now a mid-bass headphone.

Dec 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM Post #3,671 of 4,010

I don't think one needs to go that in-depth with the word bass; especially the difference between mid-bass and sub-bass.

Bass should be taken as is, when you hear it, you know it is bass (e.g. you would not call mid, bass)

I can make an argument that, what defines sub-bass? Then you would have to give me an argument on a range of frequencies say (e.g. X hz-Y hz). But then what if a headphone have an insane amount of bass at Y + 0.1 hz. Would you suddenly move it to the next category? But the next category is mid-bass, it would be absurd to say then a headphone that excels at Y + 0.1 hz is now a mid-bass headphone.

What I was trying to say is that I don't consider the DT1350 to be bass light when compared to the Momentum, but I also know that the bass of the DT1350 is not everybody's cup of tea.    These people will not like the bass presentation of the DT1350 because, hey, its bass and you should take it as is.     I'm not going to take bass as is...if a headphone does not have enough sub-bass quantity, I usually get rid of it right away.     I hated the HD650's bass - yeah, I heard lots of it ,and it indeed was bass, but I also did not hear much sub-bass.  I tried to like them, but I ultimately sold them off.    If I ask in the HD650 thread if that model has bass, I'm going to get a 'hell, yeah' as an answer.

When I read a thread about a headphone I'm interested in I usually ask about the quantity of the sub-bass.  

Dec 4, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #3,672 of 4,010

I can see where your logic flows from but it is simply easier to have a rough division of the sound spectrum.

Otherwise, the same can be said for 'mids' and 'treble' where you cannot have a difference in 1Hz to distinguish between them. However, it is good to have a rough guide.

Dec 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #3,673 of 4,010

I can see where your logic flows from but it is simply easier to have a rough division of the sound spectrum.

Otherwise, the same can be said for 'mids' and 'treble' where you cannot have a difference in 1Hz to distinguish between them. However, it is good to have a rough guide.

^ Yep. There's a big difference between a headphone that has a mid-bass hump and sub-bass rolloff versus one like the DT1350 that has no mid-bass hump and no sub-bass roll-off. Its important to distinguish between the two because someone looking for what they consider "good bass" will feel differently about the two 'phones depending on their preferences.

The DT1350 are not bass-light and they are not bass-heavy either. They have probably the most neutral bass of any headphone ever (certainly that I've heard). The reason I say that is because there is no obvious hump and the bass extends flatly all the way down to the very lowest frequencies. People who are used to sub-bass roll-off will hear this as being particularly bassy but its not.

Also, make sure you play with the positioning of the cups. It can have a big effect on the quantity and quality of the mids relative to the bass. With the right positioning the DT1350's bass is extremely neutral and flat and makes you realize that the huge majority of headphones out there actually have recessed sub-bass. Don't get me wrong, that's not always a bad thing. Sub-bass can easily overwhelm other frequencies which is why most audiophiles prefer a slight sub-bass roll-off but that doesn't mean rolled-off sub-bass is "neutral" or accurate. To me the DT1350's bass is extremely neutral and accurate, almost to a fault, and that's what leads some people to believe they are bassy.

Dec 4, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #3,675 of 4,010

To me the DT1350's bass is extremely neutral and accurate, almost to a fault, and that's what leads some people to believe they are bassy.

Well, either that or they prefer the mid-bass of something like the HD650...in which case they might consider the DT1350 to be bass light. 

Before I purchased my DT1350 I sent PMs to some owners asking about the bass and a few of them told me that they didn't have much bass.    One of them actually told me that they had absolutely no bass and that he hated them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back