New Beyer DT1350
Jul 9, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #1,936 of 4,010
Portishead's Third and Massive Attack's Mezzanine are two of my 'test' albums that I listen to when trying out new gear. :-D Fantastic albums, both.

You may like the electronic artist Burial if you dig that dark British electronic sound: give his album Untrue a try, or his EP Kindred. Beautiful, haunting electronics.
Quote:

Most of my music collection is rock and singer/songwriter type stuff, but I found a love for more of the techno/club type music as of late. Pretty Lights, Deadmau5, Skrillex, Nero, Daft Punk, etc...I've found that I LOVE this type of music and my Mezzanine album is one of my favorites right now. It sounds out of the world amazing on the 1350s and I can't wait to hear more from this duo/group. I love the various elements that they incorporate into their tracks...it's very interesting music and I find it very addicting. I think I connected more with MA because they're closer to my demographic than some of the other much younger artists. I just turned 40 and I think these guys are in their 40s, as well...it may have absolutely nothing to do with that, I dunno, just speculating. I just seem to connect with their vibe :)  

If you know of any other similar artists, please let me know! 

EDIT: I guess I really am a fan of the music of your hometown....just found out that another one of my favorite bands, Portishead, is also from your neck of the woods. Very nice!

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #1,938 of 4,010
Well I'm 40 this year. Not sure whether to celebrate or commiserate. It's worth checking out Tricky. Tracks like Excess, Cross to Bear, and the album Maxinquaye.

I was out having dinner about six months ago with my wife and two girls walked in with what looked like their elderly parents. One of the girls saw my wife, ran over and gave her a hug and the usual "I've not seen you for ages..." type stuff. Afterwards I asked my wife who she was and she said that was Beth, the singer from Portishead. Apparently my wife was far cooler than me when we were younger! 

Top of my playlist right now is a band called Archive..particularly the track Again. 

Apologies for derailing the thread....Back to DT1350 speak.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #1,939 of 4,010
Quote:
Well I'm 40 this year. Not sure whether to celebrate or commiserate. It's worth checking out Tricky. Tracks like Excess, Cross to Bear, and the album Maxinquaye.

I was out having dinner about six months ago with my wife and two girls walked in with what looked like their elderly parents. One of the girls saw my wife, ran over and gave her a hug and the usual "I've not seen you for ages..." type stuff. Afterwards I asked my wife who she was and she said that was Beth, the singer from Portishead. Apparently my wife was far cooler than me when we were younger! 

Top of my playlist right now is a band called Archive..particularly the track Again. 

Thanks man...very cool story about the wife...

Jul 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM Post #1,940 of 4,010
Awesome story. Beth Gibbons = <3
Quote:

Jul 9, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #1,941 of 4,010
Quote:
FWIW, after a year of use, the left pivot became loose.  The button that holds it all together wasn't staying tightly connected any longer.  The right one is fine.  Don't know why.  I don't pivot them on either side much.  Returned b/c still under warranty (2 years!).  Will see what the response is.

Sent them to the Beyer service center, Sound Surgeon.  Returned within a week.  Fixed, no charge.

Jul 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #1,942 of 4,010
Got to love Tricky man but good lord they need to seriously LOWER the awful compression on his new albums. Those highly compressed albums tend to make these headphones puke but to no fault of their own. They just play it like it is.

Jul 13, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #1,944 of 4,010
Quote:
Have you received ur pair yet?

So far so good.  I don't claim to be an expert on sound that is able to pick out driver mismatches or small oddities in the frequency response.  All I can say is that these sound very nice to me.  The treble is more tame than my DT880s, but it's not soft or rolled off.  Mids feel very present to me, which I enjoy.  Bass is surprisingly good for such a small headphone and is certainly more present than it is on my 880s.  I wouldn't quite classify the sound as warm, but it's closer to that side of things than it is to being bright.  Everything sounds very sharp and clean and I haven't noticed anything that sounds off or unrealistic.  They are very easy to drive, requiring the knob on my amp to be up only about half as much as my 250 ohm 880s.  I haven't tried them on a portable device yet, so we'll see how they fare when I give that a shot.

Build quality seems superb, and I haven't had any trouble at all getting a seal.  I followed the advice of a previous poster to put them further back on my ears than I'm used to doing and they nestled in very nicely.  They feel like tiny suction cups on my ears.  Comfort is so-so.  Better than the Vmoda M80s to me, but not quite as comfortable as the HD25s.  Hopefully that will change once the pads break in a little.  They are pretty firm right out of the box.  Clamping pressure seems just right...I found the splitting headband to be very helpful in this case.  Sound isolation is incredible.  My daughter got home earlier and my wife was yelling for me to come see her.  I had no idea until she came into the office waving her arms.  I told her the sound isolation must be pretty decent and I got a dirty look in return.  Good thing I have open phones for home use :p  The cable is slightly microphonic, which is probably my biggest gripe so far, but it's only a very minor annoyance.

Of course, these are all first impressions so we'll see how it goes from here.  S/N is 14xxx if anyone cares about that thing.  

B&H really came through.  Only 269.99 and they were very obviously brand new and not a returned product.  Thought I'd point that out since a previous user warned about that possibility from B&H.

Jul 15, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #1,945 of 4,010
Wow, you guys are totally right about the position of the headphones...I saw those who mentioned how having them back just a tad on the ears really helped, but I was already getting a very nice seal and excellent isolation so I didn't pay much attention. Tonight i was watching the stream of Breaking Bad, and during the commercial breaks I started playing around with it. I honestly didn't think these could sound any better, but you guys were spot on with that suggestion. Well done guys!! 

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #1,946 of 4,010
Anyone having problems with the cups swiveling mechanism being loose? Can it become worse that it may detach to the headband?? That would be my worst nightmare
mad.gif
. I really love my DT 1350's...

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:31 AM Post #1,947 of 4,010
Quote:
Anyone having problems with the cups swiveling mechanism being loose? Can it become worse that it may detach to the headband?? That would be my worst nightmare
mad.gif
. I really love my DT 1350's...

I had it being quite tight, but after a period of usage, its became looser, but not really a big concern, still holding quite well for me. 

You can check post #1941, he sent it to get it fixed for no charge. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #1,948 of 4,010
Quote:

So far so good.  I don't claim to be an expert on sound that is able to pick out driver mismatches or small oddities in the frequency response.  All I can say is that these sound very nice to me.  The treble is more tame than my DT880s, but it's not soft or rolled off.  Mids feel very present to me, which I enjoy.  Bass is surprisingly good for such a small headphone and is certainly more present than it is on my 880s.  I wouldn't quite classify the sound as warm, but it's closer to that side of things than it is to being bright.  Everything sounds very sharp and clean and I haven't noticed anything that sounds off or unrealistic.  They are very easy to drive, requiring the knob on my amp to be up only about half as much as my 250 ohm 880s.  I haven't tried them on a portable device yet, so we'll see how they fare when I give that a shot.

Build quality seems superb, and I haven't had any trouble at all getting a seal.  I followed the advice of a previous poster to put them further back on my ears than I'm used to doing and they nestled in very nicely.  They feel like tiny suction cups on my ears.  Comfort is so-so.  Better than the Vmoda M80s to me, but not quite as comfortable as the HD25s.  Hopefully that will change once the pads break in a little.  They are pretty firm right out of the box.  Clamping pressure seems just right...I found the splitting headband to be very helpful in this case.  Sound isolation is incredible.  My daughter got home earlier and my wife was yelling for me to come see her.  I had no idea until she came into the office waving her arms.  I told her the sound isolation must be pretty decent and I got a dirty look in return.  Good thing I have open phones for home use :p  The cable is slightly microphonic, which is probably my biggest gripe so far, but it's only a very minor annoyance.

Of course, these are all first impressions so we'll see how it goes from here.  S/N is 14xxx if anyone cares about that thing.  

B&H really came through.  Only 269.99 and they were very obviously brand new and not a returned product.  Thought I'd point that out since a previous user warned about that possibility from B&H.

Sounds like you are liking it. Good that we didnt give you the wrong suggestions. +1 to the comment about the comfort is better than vmoda M80. Initially, I thought my HD25 was more comfortable, but after a while of pad burn in and also the headband got looser. I like DT1350 better. Alot ppl tends to pull the headband apart to loosen it, I found it makes the headphone too loose and bass response weakens. 

Jul 16, 2012 at 7:29 AM Post #1,949 of 4,010
Quote:

Sounds like you are liking it. Good that we didnt give you the wrong suggestions. +1 to the comment about the comfort is better than vmoda M80. Initially, I thought my HD25 was more comfortable, but after a while of pad burn in and also the headband got looser. I like DT1350 better. Alot ppl tends to pull the headband apart to loosen it, I found it makes the headphone too loose and bass response weakens. 

Really?  To me it feels like spreading the headband apart tightens the clamp.  Am I insane?  
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 16, 2012 at 8:10 AM Post #1,950 of 4,010
The first time I tried these the demo was at a store and compared to a KNS8400. I found them to have a major weakness then and completely discarded them. Well I've sold the 8400 among other things and thought I'd give these a proper go and have now been listening to music through them for about a week.

I really like the design: foldable, easy to position, small... And for those qualities they sound quite good. Yes, the deep bass is impressive and fun to notice on 0,5% of the music to which I listen 
tongue.gif

For the price and size, excellent transients across the spectrum. Differences in timing are quite well distinguished, as I noticed listening to fast paced improvised jazz drumming or percussion centered music. Brass is good. Nothing sounds "real", but everything is listenable. The later mentioned quality is more important in headphones to me.
Nothing sticks out: the frequency balance is good for me. Though I am willing to adjust to slight tonal variations. Certainly not the biggest concern of mine. 

Now, there's one thing that bothers me. I don't know whether it's been addressed, but has anyone noticed any difficulty in distinguishing pitch variation in bass melodies? I know this is something on which I'm rather fixated, but that's because it's hard to do right in a headphone and musically a tuneful and well timed bass response is a very important aspect of the music I like to listen. I'm a bass-head in a sense, so to speak. 
regular_smile .gif

I'm hearing something that's a bit controversial.. If the music is relatively simple and well recorded and the acoustic or electrical bass instrument has "room to breath", it's phenomenal and dare I say, even has a sense of realism to it. But it's when I move to the twisted good music, albums from Zappa, Pastorius, Nucleus, Kraan, Miles Davis, to name a few, some big band music and modal jazz in general, when I notice that I'm missing the tunefulness almost completely. It's fast: edges of notes and timing seems clear but it's one or two notes at worst that I'm hearing. I know 60's or 70's recordings are not ideal, but both of my AKG's, the K272 and K550, not to mention my speakers even if not in an acoustically treated room, have much less problems in this sense, though they may not be as fast otherwise. Tunefulness for me is a priority over perfect transient response however, if they need to be mutually exclusive (not saying they are). 
I'm also very interested in scientific insight into this phenomenon, if anyone has to offer. 

Obviously this characteristic is less prone to reveal itself with modern electronic music. Anyone else with similar taste in music, that's found this to be true?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back