New Believer: Headphone Burn in
May 3, 2009 at 4:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

twylight

500+ Head-Fier
I have to admit...if you would have bet me $100 that headphone burn in was a bunch of crap I would have taken the bet every time.

I recently bought a pair of new Denon 5000 from Markl and had them modded.

When I got them in - they had ear bleeding bright highs, little bass and basically just not that enjoyable.

On a whim I left them going with fairly loud music for a few days.

The bleeding highs are gone, the bass is tight and there, and the entire presentation of the sound is more in my face.

I would have sold them for the sound they had when I got them...now I am thinking about getting rid of my studio monitors because they torch them.

Anyways I dont know if they need XXX hours or anything like that - but there is a massive difference between 1 hours and about 100 hours.

I just wanted to share, because I am a converted burn in skeptic. (headphones - still not a believer on amps and cables heh)

May 3, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #2 of 9
Can i win $100 from you on footwear break-in existance before you'll get too enlightened?
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2009 at 4:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Try an amp sometime. The EF1 was flabby muddy when i first got it opened up after 100 hrs. Audio GD products hdams and amps, compass and c2c definently change over the first few hundred hours.

May 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the post.

There are those that refuse to believe a thin plastic membrane will undergo changes in how it flexes after several dozen of hours of being flexed thousands of times per second. I can't see how a driver could not undergo some change in it's sound reproducing characteristics over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back