New Beats Solo HD Impressions
Jan 8, 2014 at 12:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

FancyDan

Head-Fier
I made a bunch of money off a big DJ set today, and randomly decided to buy some of the new Beats Solo HD "drenched in color" version just sort of on a whim. I bought a pair of the older Solo HDs and HATED them so I don't know what made me decide to get these, but I figured I'd post my impressions.

Well one thing I must say is that they look incredible. I wasn't a fan of the plasticy, finger print attracting, and overall cheap look of the old Solo HD, but the matte finish fixes these issues for me and they look quite nice. Not Sennheiser Momentum level good, but really nice. The build quality has been MASSIVELY improved. I feel like I can throw these in a bag with my laptop and not have to worry about the cans snapping off the band. The metal band seems much more sturdy, and the whole headphone just doesn't have that cheap plastic feeling of the old ones.

Ok so now the sound. The only reason I considered getting these was because I heard the sound had been redone and improved heavily. Now, don't get me wrong; these aren't going to make audiophiles into Beats converts, and they're still basshead cans which I actually enjoy while on the go, but the old ones were just bad even for basshead headphones, but the sound IS better. The vocals don't sound muffled like the old ones did anymore which is quite nice, and the bass sounds much further back in the overall sound signature, but it's still very loud and present. The sound stage as well is hugely improved, and overall I feel that they've taken these headphones from anger inducing thoom-tastic lumps of cheap plastic to fun (if still pretty overpriced) bass heavy headphones that are fun, rather than just straight up crapty. They aren't going to blow your mind, or at least not for me, but they're without a doubt a huge improvement over the old model.

Anyone else on head-if have a pair? Any other opinions? I'd love to see what head-if thinks of this consumer oriented brand's current trajectory (towards being better?). Thanks for the input!

Jan 17, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #2 of 5
I made a bunch of money off a big DJ set today, and randomly decided to buy some of the new Beats Solo HD "drenched in color" version just sort of on a whim. I bought a pair of the older Solo HDs and HATED them so I don't know what made me decide to get these, but I figured I'd post my impressions.

Well one thing I must say is that they look incredible. I wasn't a fan of the plasticy, finger print attracting, and overall cheap look of the old Solo HD, but the matte finish fixes these issues for me and they look quite nice. Not Sennheiser Momentum level good, but really nice. The build quality has been MASSIVELY improved. I feel like I can throw these in a bag with my laptop and not have to worry about the cans snapping off the band. The metal band seems much more sturdy, and the whole headphone just doesn't have that cheap plastic feeling of the old ones.

Ok so now the sound. The only reason I considered getting these was because I heard the sound had been redone and improved heavily. Now, don't get me wrong; these aren't going to make audiophiles into Beats converts, and they're still basshead cans which I actually enjoy while on the go, but the old ones were just bad even for basshead headphones, but the sound IS better. The vocals don't sound muffled like the old ones did anymore which is quite nice, and the bass sounds much further back in the overall sound signature, but it's still very loud and present. The sound stage as well is hugely improved, and overall I feel that they've taken these headphones from anger inducing thoom-tastic lumps of cheap plastic to fun (if still pretty overpriced) bass heavy headphones that are fun, rather than just straight up crapty. They aren't going to blow your mind, or at least not for me, but they're without a doubt a huge improvement over the old model.

Anyone else on head-if have a pair? Any other opinions? I'd love to see what head-if thinks of this consumer oriented brand's current trajectory (towards being better?). Thanks for the input!

What is Head-If? I think you got the wrong website, man. You just got the wrong website. Head-If is my website!

As the owner of Head-If, I think that Beats' current trajectory towards being better is a good sign of them actually turning towards the better. But they don't seem to be changing their stance on price, which is what really makes Beats that frowned upon by many users, especially on websites like Head-Fi. Unless their quality can keep up with their price, they won't be getting any positive attention from people on Head-Fi, or from me.

Jan 19, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #3 of 5
  What is Head-If? I think you got the wrong website, man. You just got the wrong website. Head-If is my website!

As the owner of Head-If, I think that Beats' current trajectory towards being better is a good sign of them actually turning towards the better. But they don't seem to be changing their stance on price, which is what really makes Beats that frowned upon by many users, especially on websites like Head-Fi. Unless their quality can keep up with their price, they won't be getting any positive attention from people on Head-Fi, or from me.

I don't expect them to really get much positive attention on head-fi, and I'm not exactly their biggest fan. Again, I would consider myself an audiophile and my go to headphones are the Hd600s, I just was wondering if anyone on headfi had any opinions on the revisions we're starting to see. This thread was more of an experiment than anything, and it pretty much failed. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 5
  I don't expect them to really get much positive attention on head-fi, and I'm not exactly their biggest fan. Again, I would consider myself an audiophile and my go to headphones are the Hd600s, I just was wondering if anyone on headfi had any opinions on the revisions we're starting to see. This thread was more of an experiment than anything, and it pretty much failed. 

I noticed...you have a great inventory there, meng. 
If you want an "experiment" where you wanna ask people here, then start a poll. Easy way for you to know what they think without them having to post. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back