NEW Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H95 ANC Headphones - Reviews & Impressions
Jan 16, 2024 at 11:29 PM Post #2,026 of 2,079
Anyone else use the H95s with a BT-W5? I noticed recently if I have them in anything other than Optimal, I get tons of snap, crackle and pop.
Does your motherboard have a wifi antenna?

Jan 17, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #2,028 of 2,079
I’m using it on an iPad, seems to me that since the last B&O app release, this started happening
Ah sorry cant help with iPad

Jan 19, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #2,029 of 2,079
Saw these in person for the first time, I got some serious FOMO.

IMG_1001.jpeg

Jan 19, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #2,030 of 2,079
Saw these in person for the first time, I got some serious FOMO.

IMG_1001.jpeg
The light colored ones look cool new but it is true that they get dirty really fast. I've seen some that were barely used and were already stained on the headband. Not the easiest thing to clean either.

I went with Navy because I felt it was stylish but also hides wear well

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #2,031 of 2,079
BTW just as a follow-up to my B&O warranty experience (first pair had a loose screw in the earcup), the people manning the email support seemed quite daft but an RMA was set up eventually. Was mailed for RMA on 1/11/2024. Five business days later I received a new replacement, which seems fine. Seemed pretty impressive turnaround time to me.

Jan 25, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #2,032 of 2,079
Tried the HX. A little better than high end than the Portal, and a little more comfy. Controls a bit more suited to music. A little more stylish. Otherwise, pretty similar. I've heard some say the bass is significantly better on the HX vs the Portal, and IMO that is false. The H95 is massively better than both the HX and portal (which are close).

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #2,033 of 2,079
Tried the HX. A little better than high end than the Portal, and a little more comfy. Controls a bit more suited to music. A little more stylish. Otherwise, pretty similar. I've heard some say the bass is significantly better on the HX vs the Portal, and IMO that is false. The H95 is massively better than both the HX and portal (which are close).
Portal is like 130-160 so I can't complain about that lol. Plus they are more comfortable for me than the h95.

Jan 28, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #2,034 of 2,079
I just purchased the BT W5 and I'm noticing quite a bit of distortion while in the AptX Adaptive HQ mode. I am using it on a M1 14" MacBook Pro through Apple Music lossless with the bit rate set to 24/96 through the Creative app. Changing the bit rate does not help but going to the low latency mode in the Creative app does stop the distortion. I also use the Bowers & Wilkins Px8 on the BT W5 and I have zero issues no matter what mode I am in on the device.

The distortion I am experiencing is essentially cracks and pops during song playback and there is also a "popping" sound when switching tracks on Apple Music. I've tried resetting the device but that hasn't helped. Has anyone experienced anything similar or am I doing something wrong here?
Tried the BT W5 with Mark Levinson 5909. Absolutely incredible sound. No pops or clicks. No distortion whatsoever. I suspecting the pop click thing with the H95 has something to do with the Beoplay app. Or else it's a hardware issue with the H95. Sounds a whole lot better with the BT W5 though. I have to say that. Also, I have the Beoplay app set to Optimal. If I move my MBP M2 away a bit, the static lessens.

Jan 28, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #2,035 of 2,079
I have had very similar issues with my BT-W5 and H95 - great sound quality but very annoying crackles and pops. I spoke to B&O technical support but they say that the only adapter that they have tested with the H95 is the BT-W3 and cannot comment on the BT-W5.

I seem to have lost my BT-W3 but found the BT-W4 and tried that instead. It was recognised by the Creative App for the Mac so I reset it and paired it with my H95. So far, so good with no crackles or popping and good quality sound. The W4 only supports playback at 24 bit 48 kHz so I put these settings into the Creative App. It has a Purple light illuminated which indicates it is AptX Adaptive mode, although the App thinks it is Low Latency mode.

I'll keep listening for the rest of the week and see how I get on.

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #2,037 of 2,079
I have had very similar issues with my BT-W5 and H95 - great sound quality but very annoying crackles and pops. I spoke to B&O technical support but they say that the only adapter that they have tested with the H95 is the BT-W3 and cannot comment on the BT-W5.

I seem to have lost my BT-W3 but found the BT-W4 and tried that instead. It was recognised by the Creative App for the Mac so I reset it and paired it with my H95. So far, so good with no crackles or popping and good quality sound. The W4 only supports playback at 24 bit 48 kHz so I put these settings into the Creative App. It has a Purple light illuminated which indicates it is AptX Adaptive mode, although the App thinks it is Low Latency mode.

I'll keep listening for the rest of the week and see how I get on.
If you have a PC you can get aptX HD via Alternative A2DP Driver for $5

Jan 29, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #2,038 of 2,079
Portal is like 130-160 so I can't complain about that lol. Plus they are more comfortable for me than the h95.
Yeah in order of comfort I'd say HX is most comfortable, Portal in the middle, H95 the least comfortable

Jan 29, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #2,039 of 2,079
If you have a PC you can get aptX HD via Alternative A2DP Driver for $5
That is an idea. I do have a mini-PC that is not doing anything at the moment. It might be a perfect option for AptX HD given the problems with my MacBook and I could download iTunes for Windows for access to my Apple Music Lossless audio files. Once I have finished testing the W4 vs the W5, I'll try that next!

Jan 29, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #2,040 of 2,079
Well, I don't know, but it appears that the BTW5 is working pretty well now with the Beoplay H95. Static only once in a while on aptX HQ with my 2023 MBP M2. Funny thing about this is that back in the 70s, I couldn't stand the static and popping on my LPs. I would work so hard with Discwasher to try to clean the albums, but to little avail. With the advent of CDs that problem left. Now, 50 years later, the static is back. At least I can say I'm a static veteran. Been to that rodeo before. By the way, the H95 sounds wonderful with aptX.:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back