Oct 31, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #31 of 878
Thanks runswithaliens!!

Nov 3, 2011 at 8:27 AM Post #33 of 878

Quote:
Here's a link to the MDAC user manual:

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/Downloading.aspx?Lang=En&Tab2=Manuals

enoy,

o

That's a really useful link, the attention to detail in the manual is impressive, thanks for posting it.

Nov 8, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #34 of 878
More interesting recent info from DAC designer John Westlake at Pink Fish forum:

-----------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikebirtill
Just wondering what the difference between the mdac and the 8200dq is apart from the analogue pre amp section in the dq. More to the point which one is the best dac?

Hi Mike,

The MDAC offers more features, much higher sound quality, larger display and upgradeable in the future with a "Compatible" PSU.

MDAC Features over DQ:-

CROSS Analogue output stage
D3E Digital Domain Decorrelation Engine
Bit Perfect test
Level Meters in dB
USB Buffer Level indication
CD Track and Time on large Display
LSB Restoration - allows Bit Accurate Playback with Windows XP (using WMP)
Real Sampling frequency display with 1Hz Resolution
Large OLED display
Software upgradeable via the user
Clock-Lockable to External sources
Word-Clock Output
Re-clocked SPDIF Digital outputs (Jitter Attenuated SPDIF outputs)
USB to SPDIF Output
SPDIF Input to USB conversion (Via Future software build)
USB to AC3 / Bitstream Output (Via Future software build)

There will be a "Compatible HQ PSU" for the MDAC that will offer an upgraded PSU and also add AV bypass (Single-ended and Balanced) & 12V triggers.

Apart from the DQ’s Analogue Pre - the MDAC is a MUCH better DAC and is also cheaper...

John

----------------------------------------

PSU will be first - followed by the Amps - at a best guess, end of January for the PSU.

John

----------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Hi, new member here with a question for JohnW. I recently found out about the MDAC on another audio forum and after doing a bit of research decided to put in an order for one. Being a mainly headphone user a thought occurred to me, would it be possible to hook a pair of balanced cabled headphones directly to the balanced outputs of the MDAC?

Yes
smile.gif

-------------------------------------------

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:02 PM Post #36 of 878
If I were shopping for a DAC, this would be my choice right now. I had the CDQ for a while and it was very impressive for the price, and this pretty much fixes all the issues it had (software upgrades can now be made by users, OLED screen, smaller, external PSU and so forth). John Westlake is also extremely active on the Pink Fish Media forums, there is a ton of technical stuff there for anyone interested. Never seen any designer interact with their customers as thoroughly as he has/is still doing.

Nov 8, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #37 of 878

Quote:
So are the levels for balanced outputs controlable?

From what I understand they can be set to variable or fixed via the menu.

Nov 8, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #38 of 878
If that is the case I am going to be made up. I only have a balanced portable set up at present (CLAS into DB-2/PB-2) so nothing that will really do justice to the LCD-2's.

Oh man I'm exited now!

Nov 10, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #40 of 878
Well, M-Dacs are now entering the UK. Woohoo!!

My supplier was with the AudioLab rep today and has been told his stock will be with him on Friday (tomorrow) or Monday so I should have mine on Tuesday. I am so exited.....

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #41 of 878
I followed the Pink Fish thread for months and  was also very really excited about this new DAC ( even more when it was only £500)  but the more I look into it and the more I come across comments made by John W the more I think I am going to pass. I am pretty sure it will sound very good. Any better than what' s already available? I am not convinced but keep us updated. 
Nigel, it would be great if you still have your Dacmagic around and compare the two side by side. cheers.

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #42 of 878

Quote:
I followed the Pink Fish thread for months and  was also very really excited about this new DAC ( even more when it was only £500)  but the more I look into it and the more I come across comments made by John W the more I think I am going to pass. I am pretty sure it will sound very good. Any better than what' s already available? I am not convinced but keep us updated. 
Nigel, it would be great if you still have your Dacmagic around and compare the two side by side. cheers.

What kind of comments made you uninterested?

Nov 10, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #43 of 878

Quote:

I will give you my honest opinion of the two side by side.

But.....

My supplier said he had a sample for a while and he said it held its ground against some much more expensive gear. I am expecting good things.

Nov 10, 2011 at 1:10 PM Post #44 of 878
@Kaos,
Let's just say that his views about the mysterious nature of audio and that things can be heard but not measured doesn't fit with my own views as an objectivist. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy but some of his comments just rub me the wrong way. He definitely caters for the "Hi-Fi" crowd and they seem to love it.

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #45 of 878
Quote:
@Kaos,
Let's just say that his views about the mysterious nature of audio and that things can be heard but not measured doesn't fit with my own views as an objectivist. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy but some of his comments just rub me the wrong way. He definitely caters for the "Hi-Fi" crowd and they seem to love it.

Ok, I more see it as an attempt to please the crowd rather than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back