Good luck 
smily_headphones1.gif
 i really hope you enjoy them, please tell us how they are when you get them 
wink.gif

Thanks! 
Im not a reviewer but I can help you as soon I receive it 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #94 of 405
Just got my own pair of LS50s, and I must say first impressions wise, it's got great tight bass, very smooth vocals, along with really sweet upper mids and treble. Both male and female vocals come off very smooth, and instrumental seperation is very accurate, and not overly pronouced. I'd say it's a bit of a warm U-shaped IEM with good focus on lower mids and great extension into the bass region. Great successor to the IM50!

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #95 of 405
That seems great... Now waiting for demo unit to come to Jaben Indonesia..

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #99 of 405
Quick Review of ATH - LS 400
Having a Xmas Vacation in Tokyo !!
Picked up. Set of ATH - LS 400 from
BIC Camera in Yurakucho
2nd day went to BIC Canera in Shinjuku to pick up the HDC313A A2DC 6N -OFC Upgrade cable
Running it on. IOS 6 plus with KORG iAugiogate player
Music :
Eagles Hotel California XRCD 44.1khz rip
Jackson Browne Solo Acoustic vol 1
Jane Monheit 96 kHz HD tracks There is a small hotel
Larry andRobbin live in Paris I put a spell on you
Joni Mitchell Miskes of Aisles HD Tracks Live or Money
JD Southers HD Tracks New Kid in Town

COMFORT
Fits well
Isolation
Very good - better than my im50 and bks 77
Sound
Transparent true to the source
The bass from the double BA units is perfect - bass heavy music just needs a 1.5 DB on the lower frequencies

Mids
Great presence
Highs
No sibilance but great extension

Sound Stage
Wide Deep and great central voice presence and location

Standard cable -- not good enough
Upgraded cable fantastic
Will add more after burn in

Dec 25, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #102 of 405

Part I - Unboxing the LS 400. Accessories, A2DC cable and fit up.

Xmas present for myself on holiday in Tokyo.
Premium model of the LS range from Audio Technica.
Picked it up from one of the largest audio-visual retailers BIC Camera from their Yurakucho store (near Ginza)

Inside the box you will find the LS400 fixed in protective foam 

Inside the packaging you get a carrying case and a set of 3 extra pairs of tips of soft silicone type; a guarantee card and an instruction leaflet.

Of much more interest to headfier's is the leaflet below: 

Look at the original cable that came with the LS 400 - pathetic for a top of the range USD 500 plus IEM's.

So I had to upgrade the cable ASAP. 

These are not cheap - USD 110 plus but look at the quality:

The diameter, build quality and feel of the HDC313A is far superior to the standard cable that comes with the LS400. I googled on google.co.jp and found the support web address that gives a AgA+OFC (silver-coated version OFC) of the A2DC cable that fits the LS 400 - HDC323A. This is available only direct from AT Support. I had to settle for the HDC313A.

BUILD QUALITY of the LS 400.
The LS400 is of high quality plastic (acrylic?) cavity piece with a flat piece bearing the Audio Technica Logo and this closes the piece. Inside are the 4 BA units - 1 High Freq, I Mid and 2 Bass units that channel the sound output to a titanium/steel tube that feeds the sound to the ear piece.

The A2DC connector freely swivels around the IEM and together with the memory wire makes fitting the IEM to your ear conveniently. It does not swivel loose so with a little patience, you will be able to hang the IEM onto your ear. Now what about the fit of the IEM to you ear?

Look at the protusion with the LS400 and Right R marking. I found that this fits into my ear and together with the wider/bigger flange (the wider body with the top closing plate), it fits and covers my entire inner ear. The soft silicone tip fits my ear in a close tight fit. While I will not say that it is a custom fit IEM, it fits as well as the universal versions of custom IEM's I have tried.
The fit is so tight and close that the sound isolation and comfort is very high.

Part II - Sound tests to be continued.

Dec 26, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #104 of 405
My set –
Speaker set
1. Horn wide band single driver speaker (no x-over filter)
2. Audionote Mono bloc 300B SET
3. PWD DAC II with Bridge
4. Snell Stereo Subwoofers driven by mono 150w plate amps
5. Tannoy ST200 supertweeters
6. Active 45 Tube pre-amp
7. McIntosh MCD751 CD player
Computer Music/Headphone set
1. I76700K Elfidelity MBO/SATA/Fan/USB Power - filtered PC running HQPlayer
2. NAA on a i7 laptop with LH Labs revive powering and filtering the iFi iDSD to KT88 Tube amp thru a resistor box
Tube amp Kt88 as headphone as Main Headphone Amp
LH Labs Geek SFi DAC/HP amp – 384kHz, DSD128 DOP
iFi iDSD Micro DAC/HP amp – 762kHz, DSD 512 Native
HD800 (Anaxilus) upgraded Furutech OFC cable, HE560, AT-BJS77, IM 50, Silver plated OFC A2DC cable
ATH- LS400 with HDC313A OFC cable upgrade.
My Listening tastes
1. Preference is for well recorded CD quality and above
2. Live recorded music with Venue ambience and natural decay is ideal
3. Applause of live audience is a great test
4. Even sound level across the frequency spectrum is critical
5. A bit of bass boost with impact and tonality
6. Mids – transparency, and presence
7. Highs – Extension and no sibilance
8. Sound Stage – separation, location of voice and instruments, presence and solidity of sound images
9. No congestion of complex music/loud passages
10. Soft and loud sounds – smooth and clear transition – no muddying of sound

Test music and soun test coming up next

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #105 of 405
Music and Sound test of LS 400

1. Alison Krauss and Union Station Live CD 1&2
Test of audience applause, concert hall ambience
Test of Female vocals, vocal harmony from her band mates
Stereo separation, depth
Even frequency spread to have no concentration in any frequency band
This album can sound bland , with a softer mid range and slightly hard flat highs
LS 400 performed very well with smooth extended highs, engaging mid range and great female lead vocal from Alison and ciear backing vocals from Dan Timinsky and others
You are sitting there watching AKUS live performing some oftge best bluegrass music ever played live

2. Alecia Nugent Hillybilly Goddess - Dont Tell Me
Test of any sibilance and high frequency sound congestion -- this is High Energy blue grass music ; banjos , mandolins, fiddles all blasting away. LS400 came thru flying colors
3. Sting All this time CD - Fragile/A Thousand Years/perfect love gone wrong ... test of audience sounds, chimes, synthesizer intro riff and hi hat. These tracks can sound bland and soft. Again the LS400 brought you to Sting house in Italy where this was recorded ... just sublime music in a believable live setting
4. Jackson Browne solo Acoustic Vol I - the Barricades of Heaven
Soft buzzing and hum if the expectant audience .. Jackson Browne enters and deep bassy slow clapping starts from left front stage and quickly soresding plot quicker mid frequency clapping from front across the audience and spreading to the thise at the back of the hall . Jackson Browne vocals sounds clear and high while his solo guitar is left and lower ... fantastic sound
5. Dire Straits Sultans of Swing - Goong Home- Thene from the Local Hero.. the buzzing sounds of the audience breaks into applause and recognition when Mark Knopfler's guitar riffs into the opening bars of the Theme... relay atmospheric. I have the music DVD ... geeks like watching the film of the show
5. Am Evening with John Denver live at the Universal Amphitheater - Summer ... the echo from John's voice is clearly heard from left of the hall halfway from the stage .. only my HD800 sounds more clearer ... my HE560 blurs the echoes... the LS400 gives a very clear echo playback only losing out to the HD800 for clarity and position
Part III tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back