New Audio Technica ATH-M50x with Removable Cable
May 21, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #918 of 958
M50x is made in Taiwan.

May 26, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #919 of 958
My friend got a pair of these on Monday night. He was looking for headphones at Guitar Center and the clerk told us that the Audio Technica stuff wasn't really for "listening". He recommended some Studio AKG's for listening, but my friend was unconvinced. Well, whatever. He needed a pair of good headphones (his first pair) and with an Amazon price match and a 45 day return policy, he had nothing to lose by getting the Technica's. We took them home and WOW. Incredible for the price. He just got a Dragonfly Black and for $220 he couldn't have done much better, IMO, for his first head-fi setup. I'm fully on board the hype train. Originally he said the treble was *sometimes* just a *little* too much on *some* tracks, but the next day he paired it with a brand new Dragonfly Black and all the issues went away. I tried it extensively on my phone (Samsung S7) and on the Dragonfly Black and with my Geek Out V2. It impressed me on all levels (I thought they sounded better with the Geek Out though). We were hearing things on recordings that I never heard before. I'm in the bathroom and I hear him yell out, "I'm hearing where they dubbed Robin Gibb's voice onto the tape!" I am now deciding if I should get a pair of the m50x for myself or --- if the m50x sounds THAT good --- if I should just spend a little more and get the m70x. The 50x impresses me but I'd love to hear everything even more analytically (70x).

Thoughts?

If anyone has any thoughts on the R7 vs these, I'd love to hear them too. EDIT: just bought a pair of the m40x for 61 dollars on Amazon. I was curious to know what they sound like compared to the 50s. I think I'll probably end up liking them but the reviews are all over the place for them.

May 26, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #920 of 958
Wait he paid 220 for the M50x? I got mine for 109 shipped on Amazon.

the M50x is a very musical and euphonic headphone with an easy to appreciate voicing. IE not too treble forward or thin, warm, decent bass response, etc. If your friend wants to use them for mixing professional audio or for monitoring purposes, sonarworks makes a plugin that uses calibrated values for several popular headphones to make them sound as flat as studio monitor speakers. It's notable that while the Q701, HD650, and M50x are compatible, the M70x is not. (correction M70x is in sonarworks now)

May 27, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #921 of 958
  Wait he paid 220 for the M50x? I got mine for 109 shipped on Amazon.

the M50x is a very musical and euphonic headphone with an easy to appreciate voicing. IE not too treble forward or thin, warm, decent bass response, etc. If your friend wants to use them for mixing professional audio or for monitoring purposes, sonarworks makes a plugin that uses calibrated values for several popular headphones to make them sound as flat as studio monitor speakers. It's notable that while the Q701, HD650, and M50x are compatible, the M70x is not.

He bought the M50x for $120 + the Dragonfly 1.5 Black for $102 so around $220 for a nice first setup on his laptop.

He's just using them for listening/casual analyzing.

I just got a pair of the M40x for 60 dollars because 60 dollars and I'd like to hear how they compare to the 50s. I think I'll like them. I think.

May 27, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #922 of 958
He bought the M50x for $120 + the Dragonfly 1.5 Black for $102 so around $220 for a nice first setup on his laptop.

He's just using them for listening/casual analyzing.

I just got a pair of the M40x for 60 dollars because 60 dollars and I'd like to hear how they compare to the 50s. I think I'll like them. I think.

I prefer the m40x over the m50x

May 28, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #924 of 958
Bought a pair of M50x last weekend. Amazed at the quality of the sound. Much prefer this sound signature to my Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. The M50x is closer to my Sennheiser HD650s than the Momentums will ever be, no matter how good they look. Colour me impressed with the aths!

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk

May 28, 2016 at 7:01 PM Post #925 of 958
Compared with the 40x, the 50x are a little more relaxed, a little less natural sounding, with more soundstage and spaciousness between the instruments. With the 50x, you're in the front row watching the band perform. With the 40x, you're IN the band, on the stage, with everything right in your face. Small soundstage, clean, clear separation (but not much spaciousness), exciting sound.

The 50x would be more for the casual listener, straddling that line between "audiophile" and regular listening. A great headphone. The 40x would be more for people who want to analyze their favorite recordings and "experience" the studio. It's a toss up. Neither one is worse than the other, but it really depends on what type of experience you want from your headphone. Also, I'm not finding the lack of bass on the 40x that everyone else seems to complain about. These things thump deep. They sound great. The vocals on the 40x are amazing too.

Gonna do another shoot out tonight when my friend brings over his 50x so we can compare. He's thinking of either grabbing a pair of the 40x to compliment the 50x or returning the 50x and getting the 40x.

I'm thinking about picking up a pair of the 50x myself to have both. What I'm REALLY curious to know now is how the 40x compare with the 70x.

May 29, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #926 of 958
Bought a pair of M50x last weekend. Amazed at the quality of the sound. Much prefer this sound signature to my Sennheiser Momentum 2.0. The M50x is closer to my Sennheiser HD650s than the Momentums will ever be, no matter how good they look. Colour me impressed with the aths!

I thought the same thing, when I got the m50x my first impression was "This is voiced like the HD650's". I have both and did some swaps back and forth. In terms of their sound, IE bass compared to mids compared to highs, they are very similar. The 650 is more resolving with better sound stage and much more detail in the mids and highs, but they are both fun sounding headphones that are going for a similar sound profile.

Jun 1, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #927 of 958

I thought the same thing, when I got the m50x my first impression was "This is voiced like the HD650's". I have both and did some swaps back and forth. In terms of their sound, IE bass compared to mids compared to highs, they are very similar. The 650 is more resolving with better sound stage and much more detail in the mids and highs, but they are both fun sounding headphones that are going for a similar sound profile.

Agree. The 650s have the dual benefit of being open backed headphones and considerably more expensive, so that doubtless explains their clear advantages over the M50x.

I'm amazed at what the M50X offers for the money. My portable headphone of choice, and also great for watching movies and music at home when I don't want to disturb anyone. Very pleased indeed.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Jun 1, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #928 of 958
Enjoyed my pair out of the box, but after putting velour pads on them, they lost sound quality that didn't make up for the increased comfort. 

Ended up selling mine after picking up a pair of MSR7s.

Jun 11, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #929 of 958
Question regarding the M50x and the M40X... I have the M50X and own a older pair of M40fs from 2010. 
How is the midrange on the M40x? I ask because the M40fs that I have are freaking super extreme in the midrange to the point that it is really fatiguing and leave my ears in virtual pain....at least to my ears.
I love the M50x's and would not mind checking out the M40x's for field use where I would not mind them taking a beating as much, but if the mids are more tame lol.

Jun 11, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #930 of 958
M40fs shouldn't be fatiguing.  M40x sounds like a different headphone entirely, you may or may not find M40x's treble a little fatiguing on occasion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back