New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 25, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #1,906 of 11,314
What did you use as LDO?
Used,a TI TPS73633 regulator. Fixed 3.3V output, low noise, SOT23 package with a standardized pinout. Not fussy about filter capacitor type or values. Good performance in a small footprint.

Interestingly the Singxer F1 uses a lot of 5V to 3.3V regulators in the same SOT23 package.

http://www.ti.com/product/TPS736

May 28, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #1,907 of 11,314
A bit off topic here. But has anyone ever used an external battery pack like those for smart phone charging to supply the USB converters/isolators like the singxer or iFi products (e.g. defender) etc..? I read some people used for lower power DACs. I am thinking if one does not wish to invest a LPS for every single of these 3-5 V devices, the battery maybe good solution ?

May 28, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #1,908 of 11,314
Haven't tried a USB battery but makes a lot of sense when properly implemented. Be careful when selecting a portable battery with multiple outputs and voltages as these units can use internal switching DC-DC supplies to convert and regulate battery voltage to whatever voltage is selected on the outputs. So you are right back using a switching power supply but this time battery powered. Though not as efficient or cost effective a direct battery voltage to a linear LDO regulator would be much better solution to generate clean output voltage. Are there any "Hifi" battery packs available?

May 28, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #1,909 of 11,314
The internal Singxer F1, Accurate firmware (all DSP defaults), and M7S sounding very good this morning. Less vocal grain and glassy cymbals versus the original shipping firmware.

I'm getting familiar with each firmware release on the M7S as I am acquiring a R2R 7 in the next month or so! 2nd hand unit of a very early production model from a fellow forum member who reviews and then regularly trades. Hopefully it already has plenty of run-in time! Thank you FredA (no, just joking, it is not Fred's R2R 7).

So maybe (fingers crossed) will finally get to compare the M7S to R2R 7 in house.

May 28, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #1,910 of 11,314
A bit off topic here. But has anyone ever used an external battery pack like those for smart phone charging to supply the USB converters/isolators like the singxer or iFi products (e.g. defender) etc..? I read some people used for lower power DACs. I am thinking if one does not wish to invest a LPS for every single of these 3-5 V devices, the battery maybe good solution ?
Maybe.
The internal Singxer F1, Accurate firmware (all DSP defaults), and M7S sounding very good this morning. Less vocal grain and glassy cymbals versus the original shipping firmware.

I'm getting familiar with each firmware release on the M7S as I am acquiring a R2R 7 in the next month or so! 2nd hand unit of a very early production model from a fellow forum member who reviews and then regularly trades. Hopefully it already has plenty of run-in time! Thank you FredA (no, just joking, it is not Fred's R2R 7).

So maybe (fingers crossed) will finally get to compare the M7S to R2R 7 in house.
No, it's not me.

Looking forward to your verdict.

May 28, 2018 at 11:21 PM Post #1,911 of 11,314
Singxer F1 received and working OK. The F1 is much smaller than previously imagined. The F1's S/PDIF RCA jack removed to allow easy access to the DSP JTAG programming header and jumpers. Supplied +5V from the Singularity board IN6 connector after adjusting power supply from 3.3V to 5V. Mounting method is to drill two screw holes in the divider wall and adding standoffs to bolt the F1 down to the divider.

Sounds better than the Amanero USB (crisper). Sound is similar to SU-1 HDMI I2S with maybe slightly less grain. Hard to really tell at this point but very promising. Awaiting 3.3V LDO regulator to modify the HDMI I2S daughter board to work with 5V power. So the big comparison will have to wait a few more days.

The Singxer F1 USB driver is the same as the SU-1. My WIndows 10 machine only detects one device - either F1 or SU-1 - if both are connected. Would like to eventually have both connected with music exclusive on one USB port and WIndows soundmapper junk on the other. Soundmapper causes minor glitches on music playback when the USB port is taken over by exclusive wasapi playback.

Sorry, I am a bit lost here with the F1, which I understand is like SU-1 but without the I2S HDMI output. So how exactly are you are connecting to the DAC after removing the RCA ?

May 28, 2018 at 11:35 PM Post #1,912 of 11,314
Haven't tried a USB battery but makes a lot of sense when properly implemented. Be careful when selecting a portable battery with multiple outputs and voltages as these units can use internal switching DC-DC supplies to convert and regulate battery voltage to whatever voltage is selected on the outputs. So you are right back using a switching power supply but this time battery powered. Though not as efficient or cost effective a direct battery voltage to a linear LDO regulator would be much better solution to generate clean output voltage. Are there any "Hifi" battery packs available?

I found this Taiwanese brand that makes a dedicated 12 V lead acid battery supply: kingrex http://www.kingrex.com/products.php?c=6&s=9

Not sure if it can be used for other brands/products, it is designed for their Amp.

May 29, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #1,913 of 11,314
Sorry, I am a bit lost here with the F1, which I understand is like SU-1 but without the I2S HDMI output. So how exactly are you are connecting to the DAC after removing the RCA ?

The F1 is just a scaled down SU-1 in many ways. Beside S/PDIF the F1 actually has an I2S header about mid-board where you can attach a cable. The signal levels are not HDMI but low voltage TTL and connects directly to the Singularity board. Take a look at the installed F1 below.

May 29, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #1,914 of 11,314
I see, now I get it. So the USB cable is connected to the F1 board, I presume is via its usual USB slot. (Or a new USB slot is made?) and the F-1 converts it to I2S and straight to the DAC board. It avoids the HDMI cabLe/conversion this way, hence improvement in sound! Now It still requires an external DC power correct?

May 29, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #1,915 of 11,314
I found this Taiwanese brand that makes a dedicated 12 V lead acid battery supply: kingrex http://www.kingrex.com/products.php?c=6&s=9
Not sure if it can be used for other brands/products, it is designed for their Amp.

Nice! That is probably an overkill but yes something like that. The cheapskate in me was thinking a 6.3V lead acid motorcycle battery with a LDO 5V regulator and few nice caps. The F1 and SU-1 don’t need all that much USB power to operate.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #1,916 of 11,314
I see, now I get it. So the USB cable is connected to the F1 board, I presume is via its usual USB slot. (Or a new USB slot is made?) and the F-1 converts it to I2S and straight to the DAC board. It avoids the HDMI cabLe/conversion this way, hence improvement in sound! Now It still requires an external DC power correct?

You got it! Both F1 and SU-1 need USB power to operate the XMOS/ USB parts. You can connect digital power to the XMOS side instead but you lose galvanic isolation.

The F1 replaces the Amanero USB board and occupies the same Slot 6 backpanel position

May 29, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #1,917 of 11,314
Nice! That is probably an overkill but yes something like that. The cheapskate in me was thinking a 6.3V lead acid motorcycle battery with a LDO 5V regulator and few nice caps. The F1 pr SU-1 doesn’t need all that much USB power to operate.
Dullest sounding option this!

May 29, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #1,918 of 11,314
Nice! That is probably an overkill but yes something like that. The cheapskate in me was thinking a 6.3V lead acid motorcycle battery with a LDO 5V regulator and few nice caps. The F1 pr SU-1 doesn’t need all that much USB power to operate.
For practicality, an iFi ipower may work fine for these USB devices, only $50, and supposedly quieter than a LPS, though not as musical. So this could be an economical way to tune things up without costing few $100 -1000 on LPS.

https://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipower/

May 29, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #1,920 of 11,314
So...my desktop system just Grown into another level

Welcome my Pinkfaun I2S PC (hotly built!) upgraded OCXO clock! NVME for OS and music files!

Connecting straight into R2R7 W000000TtT!
578E03A6-CD3D-47FE-9B56-CB8B4E9B1A1E.jpeg
39D1EDB9-D549-461D-B15B-19414E01D0EF.jpeg
9E8760AC-82CD-4303-AA3B-59D1D694F682.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back