New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 20, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #11,237 of 11,260
Maybe the same for me, but I think more the R than the H...
:sunglasses:
And HE9MK3 for headamp - or?

I think the reason to pick atleast the HE-9 LE model at this level is that “all” outputs are current based head/preamp is ACSS.

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #11,238 of 11,260
This is exactly what I noticed with R8H2 after adapting to R1N. It was too hard hitting. Even though I have now fixed it with DI20 and another COAX. I am very interested in the HE7 now!

This changed a lot. Thanks for the impression. More of it please!

It is 70% for the decision for HE7MK3 now vs 30% R7HEMK2

I have two R models, think its time to add the H
You have to like the 1704k. It is more like a turntable. An old school sound, all in nuances, but less visceral. The older these dacs get, it seems like the better they sound. I sold my old master-7 to a friend. When driven with the regular di20 clocked with a Morion, it is amazing. The he7 is just more of the same thing.

Apr 20, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #11,240 of 11,260
You have to like the 1704k. It is more like a turntable. An old school sound, all in nuances, but less visceral. The older these dacs get, it seems like the better they sound. I sold my old master-7 to a friend. When driven with the regular di20 clocked with a Morion, it is amazing. The he7 is just more of the same thing.
That is a very good thing it sounds different. Also that its old school. I like the old school "saturation" effect of the analog components.

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:25 AM Post #11,244 of 11,260
It is more laid back, so as in real life, more distant sound will not hit as hard. So it is the front row vs middle row dilemma. You choose where you want to sit. I like both.
Perfect!

The R1N puts me in the band from the drummers perspective. Like next to the bass player.
The R8H2 has so many information like seeing the walls of the "room" - the ambient engagement is more visible. I could imagine being in one of the front rows or, listening to the music from the producers perspective.

If the HE7 is further back. That´s an addition! - but most importantly the tune as I want something different to certain style of music

@matthia Thanks! - Your welcome :gs1000smile:

Apr 20, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #11,245 of 11,260
Perfect!

The R1N puts me in the band from the drummers perspective. Like next to the bass player.
The R8H2 has so many information like seeing the walls of the "room" - the ambient engagement is more visible. I could imagine being in one of the front rows or, listening to the music from the producers perspective.

If the HE7 is further back. That´s an addition! - but most importantly the tune as I want something different to certain style of music

@matthia Thanks! - Your welcome :gs1000smile:
The he7 is perfect for.vintage recordings. It is where it shines the most.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #11,246 of 11,260
The DSDAC1.0 Deluxe or R7HEMK3 will be used to power the open baffles instead. How is your R7 treating you? It'll be a blind buy so trying to get it right.
After considering = reading and listening to experiences of others for hours on end! and websites I bought blind again like almost everything I use now.

Plus I changed out DAC and AMP at once... X26pro/HypsOor for R7HE mk3/HE9 mk3. I listen only on HPs!

Compared to previous most noticable/groundbreaking upgrade which was Clear OG to D8Kpro... also to blame for me investing more and surely more to come into this "hobby".

DAC/AMP swap is not as immediate and "direct" as going to TOTL HP but in sum "deeper reaching", more radical, "serious", more forceful in a sense of heavy weighted slow and steady impact then KO punch forceful... really nourishing and in other terms - umami type of flavour.

DI-20HE + R7-HE mk3 + HE9 mk3 feels like a battle ship... on a self defense mission though!
Feels like I gained hype train immunity.

Apr 23, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #11,247 of 11,260
Hey folks, looking to move up from the R-1 NOS and am looking at the R-27RE, R-27mk2.

To me the R1N is staging a little too front and center. Almost all my music sounds like the vocals are coming from the middle of my face. This is probably mostly due to the head phone. But could it mostly be from NOS? I've never heard oversampling R2R before and from what I've heard, this might be what I'm looking for. I don't desire a super analog sound anymore, which is what the R-1 NOS is to me. Also it's an airy sound, with everything happening really close to my head. I actually really enjoy this DAC when I switch to speakers, but with headphones it's hot and cold.

Is either of the R-27's going to benefit me here? I really like their functionality. Yes, getting a DDC for the R-1 could better it. But honestly I really want a different, more dispersed presentation.

Apr 23, 2024 at 5:54 PM Post #11,248 of 11,260
Yes, getting a DDC for the R-1 could better it. But honestly I really want a different, more dispersed presentation.
I wish someone could borrow you the DI20HE. You are really missing out on what R1N can do. I have no words that can describe the whole impression.

It is the best combo I have ever listened to for headphones. All day no fatigue. It is just perfect, just right. No DDC/Bridge I have tried can take the sound out of the in-the-head experience like DI20HE. It takes the music out so you feel like being in the band, just enough to see the audience. The whole stage is yours, but from the drummers perspective, next to the bass player(most of the time standing to the left). It is like the perfect being in the band representation.

R1N needs the HE model of the DI. It needs that silky smooth velvety layer to give it body. Make sure the firmware 4.075V is installed(DI20HE)

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #11,249 of 11,260
I wish someone could borrow you the DI20HE. You are really missing out on what R1N can do. I have no words that can describe the whole impression.

It is the best combo I have ever listened to for headphones. All day no fatigue. It is just perfect, just right. No DDC/Bridge I have tried can take the sound out of the in-the-head experience like DI20HE. It takes the music out so you feel like being in the band, just enough to see the audience. The whole stage is yours, but from the drummers perspective, next to the bass player(most of the time standing to the left). It is like the perfect being in the band representation.

R1N needs the HE model of the DI. It needs that silky smooth velvety layer to give it body. Make sure the firmware 4.075V is installed(DI20HE)

Do you have any opinions about NOS vs OS with the other Audio-GD Dac's?

Apr 23, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #11,250 of 11,260
Do you have any opinions about NOS vs OS with the other Audio-GD Dac's?
They matter nothing next to DI20HE. N1 or N0 is the best.

OS 2-8x gives more clarity/refinement. Like changing cables from copper to silver. It is best to use this setting DAC only, not with DI20HE. For N1 and NO they are different, but these filters are not worth talking about compared what DI20HE can do. N1 is NOS and NO is the new NOS mode which I find best with master clock last time I had the OCK-2. Why worry about the other DACs when DI20HE/R1N will beat them anyway? :L3000:

I have not yet been fan of any upscaling/oversampling filters. If a DAC can not satisfy at 16/44.1 and makes me go for absurd upscale numbers, thats a red flag.

I don´t know for sure but if I should recommend you a DAC I would choose a sound between the R1N and R8H2.

If the R27 series can give you a close sound to R8MK3. I have had the R27RE in my mind for some time in hopes to replace my R1N and give a Master 19 quality sound, so I could use the ACSS input on HE9 for the R8H2....

R8MK3 or R27RE will be my recommendation. I think the last one most

...but this leads to HE-9 LE and R1N....so many combinations

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back