New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Apr 17, 2017 at 11:40 AM Post #1,846 of 1,962
Apparently there's a new revision of DAC-19 on audio-gd web page - now comes with HDMI instead of BNC input (4 inputs in total with input selector having one more numbered step). Wonder if you can do the same mod for back panel on your own (having both USB and I2S) or some PCB changes were made too.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #1,847 of 1,962
I need advice re the DAC-19. Background is:
  1. I have a new DAC-19 on order, one of the last of them. It arrives next week.
  2. I plan to set it up w/ USB signal from my laptop--separate from my desktop audio system, which works through my desktop PC.
  3. I'll do the burn-in of the DAC-19 in this alternative set-up, then rotate it into the desktop system when burned in.

QUESTION: Does the DAC-19 need to see a "load" (attached device downstream of it being fed its analog signal) in order to burn-in? Or it enough for it to just receive/decode USB digital signal from my laptop?

I need to figure out if I should connect a headphone amp + headphone to the DAC-19, or not. W/burn-in for this DAC requiring ~200-400 total hrs, the answer really matters...

When burning in my Liquid Carbon in the past week, Cavalli actually recommends headphones not be connected during burn-in (= no load). But that's an amp...DACs may operate by different principles, for all I know.

??

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #1,848 of 1,962
  I need advice re the DAC-19. Background is:
  1. I have a new DAC-19 on order, one of the last of them. It arrives next week.
  2. I plan to set it up w/ USB signal from my laptop--separate from my desktop audio system, which works through my desktop PC.
  3. I'll do the burn-in of the DAC-19 in this alternative set-up, then rotate it into the desktop system when burned in.

QUESTION: Does the DAC-19 need to see a "load" (attached device downstream of it being fed its analog signal) in order to burn-in? Or it enough for it to just receive/decode USB digital signal from my laptop?

I need to figure out if I should connect a headphone amp + headphone to the DAC-19, or not. W/burn-in for this DAC requiring ~200-400 total hrs, the answer really matters...

When burning in my Liquid Carbon in the past week, Cavalli actually recommends headphones not be connected during burn-in (= no load). But that's an amp...DACs may operate by different principles, for all I know.

??

Kingwa responded to a post I made in the Singularity 19 thread a while ago when I mentioned I'd probably just leave my S-19 on all the time because it sounded better warmed up.  Here's his response, which to me says it just needs to be on and not active:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831737/audio-gd-singularity-19/60#post_13288738

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #1,849 of 1,962

Kingwa responded to a post I made in the Singularity 19 thread a while ago when I mentioned I'd probably just leave my S-19 on all the time because it sounded better warmed up.  Here's his response, which to me says it just needs to be on and not active:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831737/audio-gd-singularity-19/60#post_13288738

Thanks for directing me to that!

However, I read his reply a bit differently...doesn't look like he addressed the "connected device? yes/no" issue at all, just recomments 15 days on time for burning (which is just about right--nearly 400 hrs).

Maybe I'm not seeing what's right in front of me, but I'm still not sure how to handle attached devices (if any) while burning in the DAC-19. Then again, these are great "problems" to have!

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #1,851 of 1,962
@Pharmaboy

How well does it pair with the carbon?

First of all, I've actually been to Ames, Iowa, among other places in the state (nice town).

I don't know how the DAC-19 pairs w/the LC yet because I'm the last stretch of burning it in on a computer that's separate from the big desktop where all my desktop audio gear is connected. Right now I have the DAC-19 connected to the Lake People G109-A headphone amp, and it sounds rather good through either Fidelio X2's or Marantz MHP-2's.

Next week will put me over the 400 hr burn-in mark (maybe even more...I've had it on 24/7). Then I'll swap it in the big system with the NOS 19 (amazing DAC) and try to hear differences. At that time, I'll be able to hear the DAC-19 through any of the following amps:
  • Liquid Carbon
  • Violectric V281
  • Audio GD SA-31SE
  • + the Lake People
This reminds me to do more reading on this thread about the jumper settings. It's pretty confusing to figure all that out...with the NOS 19, the instructions re internal jumpers were so incoherent (and the amp sounded so fine "as is") that I never bothered opening the case. But I think I'll have to open the case on the DAC-19. If memory serves, more than one person posting in this thread talked about the most important internal jumper site being "PPL" (gotta do my homework to recall that better).

I'll post here after I've heard the DAC-19 w/LC. But for now, suffice to say it already sounds very good--I'm in danger of turning into an Audio GD fanboy.

Jun 3, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,852 of 1,962
First of all, I've actually been to Ames, Iowa, among other places in the state (nice town).

Great to hear that :beyersmile: It is small but nice place indeed.

Next week will put me over the 400 hr burn-in mark (maybe even more...I've had it on 24/7). Then I'll swap it in the big system with the NOS 19 (amazing DAC) and try to hear differences. At that time, I'll be able to hear the DAC-19 through any of the following amps:
  • Liquid Carbon
  • Violectric V281
  • Audio GD SA-31SE
  • + the Lake People

cool! I am pretty curious on how it sounds with LC. Also, Would you mind comparing how it sounds for both LC and V281 pairs with DAC19. Really appreciate it.

I'll post here after I've heard the DAC-19 w/LC. But for now, suffice to say it already sounds very good--I'm in danger of turning into an Audio GD fanboy.

With the quality and price, I can see why :darthsmile:

Jun 7, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #1,855 of 1,962
For real? I've been using an Audio GD NOS 19 exclusively since August, 2016, and the last thing I'd be concerned about w/this unit is the bass. It sounded good to me from day-1...perhaps a bit more rounded & "wet"-sounding than the typically dry/impactful bass of delta-sigma DACs. But those are good qualities IMHO...ie, a string bass sounds even more like a string bass.

I liked the NOS 19 so much that I bought one of the last new DAC 19's available. Just finished burning it in for ~400 hrs & put it into my desktop system in place of the NOS 19. All I listened to today is low-volume classical music streamed through my computer + speakers & sub (no real test of bass there). But in a few days I'll give it a listen w/headphones (Fidelio X2's; ZMF Ori) w/the DAC connected to 2 or 3 good amps on hand. I had the DAC-19's ACCS output pair replaced w/RCA's, so I can connect 2 headphone amps at any time to this DAC (did the same w/the NOS 19...the resulting flexibility is kind of addictive).

Anyway, I'll know more in few days if there are any big differences between NOS 19 vs DAC-19; will post here.

Jun 8, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #1,856 of 1,962
Pll is switch between external ON and internal OFF clocks. External is better if you have device with better clocks like singxer su1 or similar.
After all I have only PLL switched on.

Jun 12, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #1,857 of 1,962
cool! I am pretty curious on how it sounds with LC. Also, Would you mind comparing how it sounds for both LC and V281 pairs with DAC19. Really appreciate it.

Finally sat down to listen to the DAC-19, now fully burned in (400+ hrs) & installed where the NOS 19 was for 10 months, feeding RCA output signal simultaneously to the V281 & Liquid Carbon w/ZMF Ori plugged into balanced out(s). I've heard classical, choral/classical, jazz, Latin jazz R&B, soul, reggae, mallet instruments like vibes, marimba. Brief comments below:

1. WOW! I've never heard my desktop/headphone audio system sound so good. Understand, I've become totally used to Audio GD R2R digital--that rich, suave, organic sound is 2nd nature to me. Whle the DAC-19 & NOS 19 are very close in overall sound, I'm shocked at how good the DAC-19 sounds with everything I throw at it. It's the best digital I've ever heard. I was totally satisfied w/the NOS 19, only got the DAC-19 because I'd always wanted to hear it, then realized the last few units were being sold & it would no longer be available. Didn't expect any sonic revelations, but that's what I'm hearing. This DAC is extremely good.

2. V281: everything I like about this powerful, expressive amp is even more apparent w/the DAC-19 in the chain: epic soundstaging, note separation, black backgrounds, the best bass ever, explosive dynamic quality/range, "jump factor"--all at the highest level w/the DAC-19. This DAC/amp combo is crazy-good IMO.

3. Liquid Carbon:
I've gotten totally used to the subtle warmth of the LC. It's not quite as dynamic & authoritative as the V281 (few amps are), but it has so much finesse & focus--a relaxed yet detailed sound. With the DAC-19, those good qualities get even better. Listening to a Ravel piano concerto now; it has huge dynamic swings between soft piano passages (ravishing sound) and full-throated orchestral playing in 1st & 3rd movements. I know every note by heart, but have to hear the entire piece all over again. This is another crazy-good DAC/amp combo IMO.

Maybe you can tell...the DAC-19 impresses the hell out of me.

At this rate, I'll never go back to delta-sigma digital. Both the DAC-19 & NOS 19 are voiced in an ear-friendly, harmonically rich way. It doesn't really sound like vinyl, but it also doesn't sound at all like most digital I've heard. The timbre of every instrument is so apparent; I no highlighting of transients or particular frequencies whatsoever. Everything's just there. More than any other digital I've heard, these 2 DACs sound like live music in a good performance space (the ultimate comparator).

At this point, I have zero interest in messing around w/other DACs.

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #1,858 of 1,962
Very good review :beerchug:
Dac19 has very good value for your bucks.
Having owned the unit for 2 years and after my chain is tuned I have no reason to look for another DAC as well. Great unit at great price!

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #1,859 of 1,962
Finally sat down to listen to the DAC-19, now fully burned in (400+ hrs) & installed where the NOS 19 was for 10 months, feeding RCA output signal simultaneously to the V281 & Liquid Carbon w/ZMF Ori plugged into balanced out(s). I've heard classical, choral/classical, jazz, Latin jazz R&B, soul, reggae, mallet instruments like vibes, marimba. Brief comments below:

1. WOW! I've never heard my desktop/headphone audio system sound so good. Understand, I've become totally used to Audio GD R2R digital--that rich, suave, organic sound is 2nd nature to me. Whle the DAC-19 & NOS 19 are very close in overall sound, I'm shocked at how good the DAC-19 sounds with everything I throw at it. It's the best digital I've ever heard. I was totally satisfied w/the NOS 19, only got the DAC-19 because I'd always wanted to hear it, then realized the last few units were being sold & it would no longer be available. Didn't expect any sonic revelations, but that's what I'm hearing. This DAC is extremely good.

2. V281: everything I like about this powerful, expressive amp is even more apparent w/the DAC-19 in the chain: epic soundstaging, note separation, black backgrounds, the best bass ever, explosive dynamic quality/range, "jump factor"--all at the highest level w/the DAC-19. This DAC/amp combo is crazy-good IMO.

3. Liquid Carbon:
I've gotten totally used to the subtle warmth of the LC. It's not quite as dynamic & authoritative as the V281 (few amps are), but it has so much finesse & focus--a relaxed yet detailed sound. With the DAC-19, those good qualities get even better. Listening to a Ravel piano concerto now; it has huge dynamic swings between soft piano passages (ravishing sound) and full-throated orchestral playing in 1st & 3rd movements. I know every note by heart, but have to hear the entire piece all over again. This is another crazy-good DAC/amp combo IMO.

Maybe you can tell...the DAC-19 impresses the hell out of me.

At this rate, I'll never go back to delta-sigma digital. Both the DAC-19 & NOS 19 are voiced in an ear-friendly, harmonically rich way. It doesn't really sound like vinyl, but it also doesn't sound at all like most digital I've heard. The timbre of every instrument is so apparent; I no highlighting of transients or particular frequencies whatsoever. Everything's just there. More than any other digital I've heard, these 2 DACs sound like live music in a good performance space (the ultimate comparator).

At this point, I have zero interest in messing around w/other DACs.

Great review! I was amazed when the first time I listened to LC but reading this really hooks me up. TBH, I am also interested in the v281 but might not get that anytime soon. But, this DAC will definitely be on top of my list for an end game setup. Thanks!

Aug 18, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #1,860 of 1,962
Hi everyone I'm currently have modi 2 u plugged into lyr2 my headphones are hd700 . I'm looking for a better DAC . I was looking into the bimby but I read somewhere in this website that DAC-19 is better than bimby . The thing is I honestly don't know witch one is better the DAC-19 or the NOS-19 or this the singularity 19 ? Or what is the difference between them?

I think any of these will be a huge upgrade from modi 2 upper. But I want the best of them and will appreciate any advice from you guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back