New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Dec 30, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #1,741 of 1,962
  Also, I finally got my DSP update! I'm going to have to do more listening, but I am quite satisfied right now. My first impression is that I'm getting more focus, and the soundstage is less in-my-face now, which I like. I'm also getting more treble sparkle, albeit a little artificial-sounding, and tighter bass punch. Completely going off my poor memory here, so take this all with a pinch of salt.

Just learned about this DSP update thing.  Thanks for posting your experience.  I am very interested in your further impression.

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #1,742 of 1,962
WHAT????? Anyone else seen this yet? Singularity 19!

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Singularity19/Singularity%2019EN.htm

Dedicated Discrete R2R DAC
Fully programmable hardware design ,support future upgrade without hardware modify
Built in 4 PCs 3072KHz support R-2R  DA M1 modules

32bit / 384K Amanero combo384
Supports up to 384KHz /32Bit at USB 
Supports up to 192KHz /24Bit at SPDIF

Promotion  :  (Exclude shipping cost)
Built in 2 pcs DA M1 : USD600
Built in 4 pcs DA M1 : USD650

Yes Please!

Jan 6, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #1,743 of 1,962
  WHAT????? Anyone else seen this yet? Singularity 19!

http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Singularity19/Singularity%2019EN.htm

Dedicated Discrete R2R DAC
Fully programmable hardware design ,support future upgrade without hardware modify
Built in 4 PCs 3072KHz support R-2R  DA M1 modules

32bit / 384K Amanero combo384
Supports up to 384KHz /32Bit at USB 
Supports up to 192KHz /24Bit at SPDIF

Promotion  :  (Exclude shipping cost)
Built in 2 pcs DA M1 : USD600
Built in 4 pcs DA M1 : USD650

Yes Please!

Very very interesting. However, the big unknown is how Kingwa's in-house R2R DA M1 modules will compare to the PCM1704UK ... 

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #1,744 of 1,962
Depends on how you want to compare them i think. Sure it's going to have a new sound, but will that sound be better? worse? just as good just different? Since i love my AGD equipment so much i'm going to give Kingwa the benefit of the doubt and say he wouldn't be releasing it for sale if it wasn't awesome. 

dt880smile.png

Right now the promo prices are $600 and $650... wonder if it will go up to the pcm1704uk dac-19 price?

One thing is for sure, i'm  ohhhhhh so very curious to get some impressions from both past and present dac-19 owners as well as new agd owners.

Exciting times! I need one of these and a Master 7 Singularity before they aren't being made anymore! 

Jan 6, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #1,745 of 1,962
Was planning on ordering a modi multibit to pair with my on-its-way-to-me NFB-1AMP, might have to wait until I hear impressions on the Singularity-19 as this is closer to my budget than other AGD DACs

Jan 6, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #1,746 of 1,962
Certainly worth consideration. IMO AGD makes excellent sounding dacs, not everyone likes the pcm1704uk chip sound but regardless they are well built.

As much as i love my dac-19 and really want to hear the Singularity 19 i really want to hear a Gumby in my system some day. Maybe i'll get lucky and makes friends with someone who will lend me one for a week before i drop $1300 just to see. Haha

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #1,747 of 1,962
  Certainly worth consideration. IMO AGD makes excellent sounding dacs, not everyone likes the pcm1704uk chip sound but regardless they are well built.

As much as i love my dac-19 and really want to hear the Singularity 19 i really want to hear a Gumby in my system some day. Maybe i'll get lucky and makes friends with someone who will lend me one for a week before i drop $1300 just to see. Haha

Well, I'm just flat-out confused by the description of "The Singularity" (miserable name there):

-- what DAC chips are used?

-- or is it literallly replacing std chips w/PC-type processing chips? (that'd mean a TON of programming)

I guess we all knew Audio GD had to eventually move away from the PCM1704 platform. Apparently this is it (except I can't figure out what "it" is)

Jan 6, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #1,748 of 1,962

Well, I'm just flat-out confused by the description of "The Singularity" (miserable name there):

-- what DAC chips are used?

-- or is it literallly replacing std chips w/PC-type processing chips? (that'd mean a TON of programming)

I guess we all knew Audio GD had to eventually move away from the PCM1704 platform. Apparently this is it (except I can't figure out what "it" is)

It's their new DA-M1 custom built R2R modules.

Jan 6, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #1,749 of 1,962
Under custom option is interesting:

Custom order options:
Option 1:Degrade from Amanero to Xmos U208.:grin:
Free and lead time 1 workdays .

Option 2:Custom order replace the ACSS output by RCA outputs .
USD5 and lead time 1 workdays .

Option 3:Custom order HDMI or RJ45 replace IN1 USB input .
Free and without shipping delay . (Customer must provide detail pin definitions)

Option 4:Custom order Two TCXOs upgrade the default clocks .:grin:what type?
USD36.5 and lead time 1 workdays .

Jan 6, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #1,750 of 1,962
Under custom option is interesting:

Custom order options:
Option 1:Degrade from Amanero to Xmos U208.:grin:
Free and lead time 1 workdays .

Option 2:Custom order replace the ACSS output by RCA outputs .
USD5 and lead time 1 workdays .

Option 3:Custom order HDMI or RJ45 replace IN1 USB input .
Free and without shipping delay . (Customer must provide detail pin definitions)

Option 4:Custom order Two TCXOs upgrade the default clocks .:grin:what type?
USD36.5 and lead time 1 workdays .

Yes it's interesting that Kingwa considers the Amanero to be better than the U208. There are lots of people with SU-1's (with U208) DDC's, myself included, that hear noticeable improvement. If the Amanero is really better than the U208 this implies that the SU-1 is also doing some other good things to improve the sound even more than a stock U208 implementation - reclocking/isolation/etc. 

I was also wondering about the TXCO clock upgrade - why wouldn't he just put them in the base model given the small increment in price?

Jan 6, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #1,751 of 1,962

Yes it's interesting that Kingwa considers the Amanero to be better than the U208. There are lots of people with SU-1's (with U208) DDC's, myself included, that hear noticeable improvement. If the Amanero is really better than the U208 this implies that the SU-1 is also doing some other good things to improve the sound even more than a stock U208 implementation - reclocking/isolation/etc. 

I was also wondering about the TXCO clock upgrade - why wouldn't he just put them in the base model given the small increment in price?

I have less technical concerns about USB: given the notorious difficulty of installing drivers for various Audio GD DACs, I didn't even seriously attempt it when I set up my NOS 19. I'm perfectly happy feeding it via the excellent Oyaide DR-510 cable from Musical Fidelity 192 Link (itself powered by USB Regen). Fairly soon, I'll replace the V-Link with a Singxer SU-1, using the same coax cable, possibly w/BNC-to-RCA adapter coming out of the SU-1.

It really was striking when I got the NOS 19 (brand new from Magni HiFi in August): no instructions, no drivers, nada. It's nothing Magni HiFi did or didn't do (they were great)...it's just that way w/Audio GD stuff. Everything I saw on Audio-GD's site (+ comments in this string) made me doubt driver install would be easy. It starts at the A.G.D. website, where the download of drivers (linked out to another website, if memory serves) saves as an ".rar" folder type. I researched it & figured out ways to open that, but it hardly inspires confidence that you have be a wonk to figure out how to open the freakin' folder.

I bagged it, never bothered. And when I put the NFB-15.32 all-in-one in the system, I just switch the coax cable from the NOS-19 to it (easy).

These Audio GD products are really fine, in some ways the best I've ever used. But their whole USB/drivers thing is not great.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #1,752 of 1,962
Well, I just ordered a Singularity 19.  I chose the 4pc DA-M1 model and added the upgraded TCXOs (whatever they are... guess I'll find out).  

Invoice said 10 days lead time, so it looks like they may still be building and burning them in.  I asked for a shipping date estimate, but I've found that sometimes I get answers and sometimes I don't when asking questions.  No response yet.

I currently have a DAC-19 (10th Anniversary) that I have not upgraded to the newest firmware.  I like the smooth sound of it so I felt to reason to change perfection.  We will see how the Singularity, with the new R2R modules and firmware, compares.

Should be fun!

EDIT:  Confirmed from Grace, 10 days lead time estimate.  Might be a close call getting it shipped and through Chinese customs before their holiday.

Jan 7, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #1,753 of 1,962
  Well, I just ordered a Singularity 19.  I chose the 4pc DA-M1 model and added the upgraded TCXOs (whatever they are... guess I'll find out).  

Invoice said 10 days lead time, so it looks like they may still be building and burning them in.  I asked for a shipping date estimate, but I've found that sometimes I get answers and sometimes I don't when asking questions.  No response yet.

I currently have a DAC-19 (10th Anniversary) that I have not upgraded to the newest firmware.  I like the smooth sound of it so I felt to reason to change perfection.  We will see how the Singularity, with the new R2R modules and firmware, compares.

Should be fun!

Keep us posted! Im considering ordering one in a couple weeks if they are still only $650 for the 4 da-m1 modules and $36.50 for the upgraded clocks. Will also scrap the usb input for hdmi I2s.
Cannot wait to hear your impressions. Wonder how long it will be before he has a Master 7 Singularity with the DA-M1 modules for sale. I have faith that Kingwa wouldn't be selling these if they didn't great.

Jan 7, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #1,754 of 1,962

Keep us posted! Im considering ordering one in a couple weeks if they are still only $650 for the 4 da-m1 modules and $36.50 for the upgraded clocks. Will also scrap the usb input for hdmi I2s.
Cannot wait to hear your impressions. Wonder how long it will be before he has a Master 7 Singularity with the DA-M1 modules for sale. I have faith that Kingwa wouldn't be selling these if they didn't great.

I like the Amanero USB on my DAC-19 so I'd hate to lose it on the Singularity.  It's so convenient and I've never had a problem with the drivers.  I would add the I2S in a heartbeat if it didn't mean losing the USB in the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back