New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Dec 1, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #1,697 of 1,962
Well unfortunately i have not gotten the update... i had an appointment scheduled for online update but needed to know 100% which way the blaster cable connected to the dac-19 board and did not find out until the next morning when it was too late... currently waiting to have it done...possibly tomorrow morning! Looking forward to it.

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #1,698 of 1,962
Anyone has the new XU208 xmos nos or dac19 yet? Audiogd is now upgrading thier xmos chip!

Dec 5, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #1,699 of 1,962
Would be good to hear more comments on the sound after the update...

Especially interested to know which one is more "real" sounding in terms of instruments timbre and voicing, if any. And which one is more "analog" sounding... things like that.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #1,700 of 1,962
I'm hesitant to change anything on my DAC-19 as I like the sound the way it is right now.

Dec 5, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #1,701 of 1,962
Finally got my update this morning. I loved the sound of it before as well, but i thought at worst if i didn't like the update for $30 i can revert back. But i like what i am hearing. I would call it a more realistic "analog" like sound...bass seems more clear and in the highs cymbals for sure sound better. Also have an I2s module i plan to install soon and replace the amanero usb as i no longer use it with my SU-1...between that and switching to some new silver coated copper interconnects i'm liking my system more than ever.

Dec 5, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #1,702 of 1,962
  Finally got my update this morning. I loved the sound of it before as well, but i thought at worst if i didn't like the update for $30 i can revert back. But i like what i am hearing. I would call it a more realistic "analog" like sound...bass seems more clear and in the highs cymbals for sure sound better. Also have an I2s module i plan to install soon and replace the amanero usb as i no longer use it with my SU-1...between that and switching to some new silver coated copper interconnects i'm liking my system more than ever.

Nice! I never heard a DAC-19, but what you're describing sounds a lot like my NOS 19, tho your S/PDIF converter is clearly better than mine (SU-1 vs my Musical Fidelity V192-Link).

I've never been able to find coherent instructions on how I can re-attach jumpers (which were never provided anyway) in my NOS 19 to attain other sound qualities. But I don't really care, since this sounds so good to me "as is" (it's an endgame DAC for sure).

Dec 5, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #1,703 of 1,962
I do run my DAC-19 without any oversampling, PLL Disabled and -90dB stopband.
I imagine it's closer to the NOS-19 sound than dac-19 with over sampling enabled.

This is my first evening with the DSP update and i have to say so far it seems like a nice step up in sound quality across the board. If people are worried about losing warmth with the update...i too was concerned but i'm pleasantly surprised. If it's more neutral leaning now than before, it's ever so slightly to my ears. (at least configured the way mine is jumper/dsp wise)
Firing up my WA2 and beyer T1's here in a bit to see how they sound with the update...so far my C-2 11th and HD650 sound better than they ever have.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #1,704 of 1,962
eschell27, regarding the I2s module, did you buy it separately from audio-gd ?  I didn't realize they're offering hdmi i2s input module kits for the dac19 as well.  Also, was there any hint of sibilance after the dsp upgrade?

I remember back then we would have to buy a new dsp board for $150+shipping if we wanted the newer dsp version and the newer upgrade from v3 to v5 wasn't to my liking.  It made my reference 1 brighter and sort of lost some of its warmth and fuzzy feeling.  But now, the risk is only at a minimum of $30.

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #1,706 of 1,962
I could see some users preferring the sound of the dac-19, which is warm and very relaxing, than something more refined like the master 7.  

Yes I like the smooth sound it provides. It's a great contrast to my Yggdrasil for whatever mood I'm in.

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #1,707 of 1,962
  eschell27, regarding the I2s module, did you buy it separately from audio-gd ?  I didn't realize they're offering hdmi i2s input module kits for the dac19 as well.  Also, was there any hint of sibilance after the dsp upgrade?

I remember back then we would have to buy a new dsp board for $150+shipping if we wanted the newer dsp version and the newer upgrade from v3 to v5 wasn't to my liking.  It made my reference 1 brighter and sort of lost some of its warmth and fuzzy feeling.  But now, the risk is only at a minimum of $30.

Yeah i bought it directly from AGD...if you tell them what dac you are using it for they will wire the harness/clip ahead of time so all you have to do is plug it in (other than modifying the backplate of the case for the differently shaped hdmi/i2s port haha).

I haven't noticed any sibilance in my setup since the dsp update.

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:57 PM Post #1,708 of 1,962
Hi, please, I am looking for advice. 
I have DAC19 modified to NOS19. 

I bought AGD HDMI module, connected to board (no soldering) on the oposite side to SU-1 HDMI connector.
No sound..
Using coax everything works.
I havent connected HDMI board to case as I need to make bigger entry hole at DAC case.. May be missing connection to ground?
Using v5 firmware.
Any ideas please?
Do I need configure/switch SU-1?

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #1,709 of 1,962
  Hi, please, I am looking for advice. 
I have DAC19 modified to NOS19. 

I bought AGD HDMI module, connected to board (no soldering) on the oposite side to SU-1 HDMI connector.
No sound..
Using coax everything works.
I havent connected HDMI board to case as I need to make bigger entry hole at DAC case.. May be missing connection to ground?
Using v5 firmware.
Any ideas please?
Do I need configure/switch SU-1?

Can't speak to the hardware install but you shouldn't need to configure the SU-1. It worked out of the box for my HDMI configured DAC19.

Now that AGD has upgraded the the base USB chip to U208, which is the same as the SU-1, I wonder how much sound difference there is and if it might be a cheaper/simpler solution to get the upgraded USB board and dump the SU-1? I also wonder why they would continue to sell the Amanero USB upgrade instead of the U208 - everything I read suggests that the U208 will sound better than the Amanero.

Dec 14, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #1,710 of 1,962
  Can email them the teamviewer id get everything hooked up and its ready to go whenever they want to connect. And since that is 5am my time i'd rather be sleeping :p

And i found out that is the correct way to connect the blaster cable to the dac-19 board if anyone else is curious.

Could you please point out where you plugged the blaster cable into the DAC-19 board? Also, did you use Teamviewer 11 or 12? I can only seem to download Teamviewer 12 from the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back