New Audeze LCD3
Nov 16, 2011 at 2:58 PM Post #1,382 of 11,521

Quote:
If I recall right, you have an SR-007 MK1 right? Can you give a brief comparison with them? Should be interesting since they are in the same price range. 

Yes - I have the SR-007mk1 with the KGSS amp. I prefer the bass on the LCD-3, but other than that, the SR-007mk1 are significantly better for the type of music that I listen to most of the time (classical/acoustic).

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #1,383 of 11,521

Quote:
Yes - I have the SR-007mk1 with the KGSS amp. I prefer the bass on the LCD-3, but other than that, the SR-007mk1 are significantly better for the type of music that I listen to most of the time (classical/acoustic).

Thanks. In terms of soundstage and air, do you think it's a big step-up from the LCD2 and is it comparable with the 007 MK1 or is the O2 better still? 

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #1,384 of 11,521

Quote:
... I like the LCD-3 overall, but I can't say they are a big leap forward when compared to the LCD-2 rev. 2, at least not based on my listening so far.

You mean the clouds didn't part and the angels sing?

Quote:
I suspect any out of the box conclusions would also be premature.  Every headphone I've had has changed as they broke in, some more/less than others.  While I haven't closely followed Audeze in a little while, didn't the 2's evolve a fair amount after the first 100+ hours?  Letting mine break-in over the next 4-5 days before making any sort of declarative statements.  But agree with others out of the box, they sound fantastic, and from my perspective, very nice to have the HF extension without a sibilant or edgy sound in any way.  I am hoping they open up a little, and if they do, they'll definitely be my go-to for all-around performance.  (but as a reference point, they are not as transparent, open, detailed or have the soundstage, accuracy [except in the bass/lower mids] and realism I'm getting from the SR-009's, but again... they've not even been given a chance to breathe yet, and I still have a new cable coming, and will upgrade the tubes in my amp, so a lot of upside from here ---> so this comparative statement could be totally irrelevant in a few weeks after everything's dialed in)

Did the r2s actually require a lot of burn-in? I thought I read otherwise. My LCD3s have been burning in for about 50+ hours now with no change. The best thing I did for it was to swap the driver tube.

Quote:
Well, color me a contrarian, but my LCD-3 actually has less bass than my LCD-2 rev. 2. This is also supported by the frequency response chart, which shows the lows a bit rolled off. On the other hand, the comfort, soundstage, mids and highs are improved. I am working with Audeze on a replacement, and they have been very accommodating, so hopefully the bass will come to as well, in the new pair.

However, even with the bass issue resolved, I don't see them twice as good as the LCD-2. Better, yes, but incrementally as opposed to revolutionary.

I felt the LCD3 had a little bit more bass (or overall less treble) than the good r2s that I heard. I actually do not like this. I don't not believe your statement of "less bass" because of slight variations with the headphones. Personally I wish Audeze did not shelve down the LCD3 as much as the LCD2s because the LCD3s are so smooth  in the treble. A 1-2db less treble shelf compared to the r2s would have been perfect.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #1,385 of 11,521
mmmm... smooth treble

original

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:10 PM Post #1,387 of 11,521
Well.  I've taken my pen out of my pocket, and am about ready to strike the LCD-3 from the list. 
frown.gif

If the LCD-2 was my favorite headphone, and I felt like an "incremental" improvement would satisfy my head-fi craving for a while, then I would get it.  Sure.

Reading the new owners' reports, the LCD-3 is being described as a headphone that is somewhat of an improvement, vis-a-vis the Rev.2. 

And in my book that is simply not worth $2k.

Oh well....

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:12 PM Post #1,388 of 11,521
When people are making comparisons of the 2s and 3s, are they listening on their own equipment with a familiar sound signature and familiar music selections or is it random equipment that they are not familiar with?  If it is the latter then the think the impressions are somewhat tainted because it becomes far from a controlled experiment.  Just my opinion, of course.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #1,389 of 11,521

Quote:
Thanks. In terms of soundstage and air, do you think it's a big step-up from the LCD2 and is it comparable with the 007 MK1 or is the O2 better still? 

In terms of soundstage and air: SR-009>>SR-007mk1>LCD-3=LCD-2r2>LCD-2r1

The SR-009 would be perfect if they sounded a little less harsh at high volume.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #1,390 of 11,521

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Reading the new owners' reports, the LCD-3 is being described as a headphone that is somewhat of an improvement, vis-a-vis the Rev.2. 

Oh well....

Yeah more like a sending your car for some serious fine tuning but its still the same engine (same sound signature). Its not like an Merc E class to S class kind of thing but the price is more like an S class model :)

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #1,391 of 11,521

Quote:
Well.  I've taken my pen out of my pocket, and am about ready to strike the LCD-3 from the list. 
frown.gif

If the LCD-2 was my favorite headphone, and I felt like an "incremental" improvement would satisfy my head-fi craving for a while, then I would get it.  Sure.

Oh well....

I wouldn't base your decision on what others are saying.  For that matter, there are probably others out there that do not like the sound of your current equipment.  That doesn't mean it isn't worth what you paid for it.

FWIW, I have found the 3s to be a significant leap forward in terms of overall balance and detail.  Is that worth $1000?  It was to me, but I can't speak for others.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #1,392 of 11,521

Quote:
In terms of soundstage and air: SR-009>>SR-007mk1>LCD-3=LCD-2r2>LCD-2r1

The SR-009 would be perfect if they sounded a little less harsh at high volume.

Well... that's not very promising isn't it? 

I should be able to audition a pair in a couple of weeks once they turn up in our local headphone community but it's just a bit disappointing that the one area that would benefit the most from an improvement (soundstage and air) seems to be more or less the same, or at best marginally improved, compared with the predecessor. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:32 PM Post #1,393 of 11,521

Quote:
I felt the LCD3 had a little bit more bass (or overall less treble) than the good r2s that I heard. I actually do not like this. I don't not believe your statement of "less bass" because of slight variations with the headphones. Personally I wish Audeze did not shelve down the LCD3 as much as the LCD2s because the LCD3s are so smooth  in the treble. A 1-2db less treble shelf compared to the r2s would have been perfect.

The treble on my LCD-3 also seems to be shelved down more than it was on my LCD-2r2, and I was somewhat disappointed by this. I agree that it would have been better for it to be shelved less, but I wonder if Audeze really has the ability to tweak things to that degree.

Nov 16, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #1,395 of 11,521

Quote:

You mean the clouds didn't part and the angels sing?

Did the r2s actually require a lot of burn-in? I thought I read otherwise. My LCD3s have been burning in for about 50+ hours now with no change. The best thing I did for it was to swap the driver tube.

Quote:
The treble on my LCD-3 also seems to be shelved down more than it was on my LCD-2r2, and I was somewhat disappointed by this. I agree that it would have been better for it to be shelved less, but I wonder if Audeze really has the ability to tweak things to that degree.

Agree 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back