New Audeze LCD3
Apr 3, 2015 at 4:01 PM Post #10,308 of 11,521
IMHO (YMMV, pigs might fly etc) it's not about power. With the LCD-3C there was some consensus it was a much more picky phone than the LCD-2. IDK, as I've never heard the C.

When I bought a 3F I thought at first all was good with my various amps. Not so. My tube amps needed a little tube-rolling - still getting there - and of my SS amps the only acceptable (and actually good) one is the Meier Classic (rejected: BMC Puredac's balanced hp out; Violectric V100). The Lyr (1st version) was not in the running with my mid-level tubes, most troubling being a slight over-smoothing of detail and some colorations. (To be fair, I didn't spend much time on this as my Decware amps are my preference by far).

What I think I've learned is get a neutral, transparent, detailed amp (or tube configuration) for Audez'e phones. Do not go warm as this is picked up by the LCDs' bass/lower mids capability and projected too much into the mix.

And yep, I would say the 3F is a choosey beast.

Final thoughts: you cannot be seriously questioning whether the Lyr (4W at 50 ohms) has enough power can you? :eek: But remembering the Lyr was designed for orthos and lower impedances, it could be the 3F's higher impedance presents a slight problem. Take with grain of salt - I'm not an EE.

FWIW, my Decware Taboo - essentially a speaker amp - drives the LCD2 rev 1 to perfection but it's my output-transformerless Decware CSP2 (a preamp that doubles as a dynamic hp amp - think Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser etc) that's winning with the 3F...

Good luck with the pads. I still think there might be a defect with that particular pad.

So I heard back again from Audeze, pretty much told me the only significant difference should be the weight.

I really hope it "break in" and stops hurting because I dig the extra details over the LCD-2f.

Anyone experienced significant increase in comfort levels after prolonged use?

--- Also on a slightly different tangent, is the LCD-3 harder to drive than the 2f? I've been testing both on my Lyr (with $180 tubes) but I'm wondering if I'm potentially underpowering the LCD-3s and so not giving a fair picture of its sound.

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #10,309 of 11,521
That would be interesting. Two maverick designers! Each with a strong following, Yggy's introduction pregnant with equal parts high expectation and scepticism. We won't have no problem getting unbiased reviews and impressions, no sirree :p :D

ps: You did write "serious" and I'm sure that's what you mean!

Really looking forward to some serious reviews and comparisons of Schiit Yggy vs Chord Hugo!

Apr 3, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #10,310 of 11,521
IMHO (YMMV, pigs might fly etc) it's not about power. With the LCD-3C there was some consensus it was a much more picky phone than the LCD-2. IDK, as I've never heard the C.

When I bought a 3F I thought at first all was good with my various amps. Not so. My tube amps needed a little tube-rolling - still getting there - and of my SS amps the only acceptable (and actually good) one is the Meier Classic (rejected: BMC Puredac's balanced hp out; Violectric V100). The Lyr (1st version) was not in the running with my mid-level tubes, most troubling being a slight over-smoothing of detail and some colorations. (To be fair, I didn't spend much time on this as my Decware amps are my preference by far).

What I think I've learned is get a neutral, transparent, detailed amp (or tube configuration) for Audez'e phones. Do not go warm as this is picked up by the LCDs' bass/lower mids capability and projected too much into the mix.

Final thoughts: you cannot be seriously questioning whether the Lyr (4W at 50 ohms) has enough power can you?
eek.gif
But remembering the Lyr was designed for orthos and lower impedances, it could be the 3F's higher impedance presents a slight problem. Take with grain of salt - I'm not an EE.

FWIW, my Decware Taboo - essentially a speaker amp - drives the LCD2 rev 1 to perfection but it's my output-transformerless Decware CSP2 (a preamp that doubles as a dynamic hp amp - think Beyerdynamic, Sennheiser etc) that's winning with the 3F...

Good luck with the pads. I still think there might be a defect with that particular pad.

Yes, I agree that LCD-3 (either version) is not easy to get a great paring with just any amp. LCD-X is better in that regards. Bad pairing with LCD-3 will either annoying or make someone sleep :) Although I still think that 3f is better phone to X, but the outcome if someone comparing both will depend on the rest of the setup.

Apr 4, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #10,311 of 11,521

I agree. I am still trying to figure out an amp that I really like with the 3Fs. The Moon 430HA almost does it, but I am not 100% sure. It's very good though.  It's been a while since I sold my Taboo MK3, but I am less interested to try it in this combo after reading your comments. My gut feeling is the SuSy Dynahi or the Eddie Current 445 might do it for me with these headphones. Or the Master 9.

From a matching perspective with the LCD-3Fs, I have excluded so far the Schiit Ragnarok and Audio GD HE-9. I found both would be better with some more neutral/brighter sounding headphones imo.

Apr 4, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #10,312 of 11,521
I don't own a headphone amp at the moment.  But I'm also not sure one would sound better with the 3Fs than the speaker amp I'm using now.

The headphone amps I have in mind are the Zana Deux or the GS-X mk2 (for the 2nd time).  The 445 really does sound good with the 3Fs but IMO not with the HD800s that I got it for - a little on the lean / thin side..

Apr 4, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #10,313 of 11,521

I agree. I am still trying to figure out an amp that I really like with the 3Fs. The Moon 430HA almost does it, but I am not 100% sure. It's very good though.  It's been a while since I sold my Taboo MK3, but I am less interested to try it in this combo after reading your comments. My gut feeling is the SuSy Dynahi or the Eddie Current 445 might do it for me with these headphones. Or the Master 9.

From a matching perspective with the LCD-3Fs, I have excluded so far the Schiit Ragnarok and Audio GD HE-9. I found both would be better with some more neutral/brighter sounding headphones imo.

I really quite like the 3f's and the Susy Dynahi.  It's the best I've ever heard them.

I don't own a headphone amp at the moment.  But I'm also not sure one would sound better with the 3Fs than the speaker amp I'm using now.

The headphone amps I have in mind are the Zana Deux or the GS-X mk2 (for the 2nd time).  The 445 really does sound good with the 3Fs but IMO not with the HD800s that I got it for - a little on the lean / thin side..

I very much agree with you in regards to the 445 with the HD800's.  I have not heard the 445 with the 3's, but I would imagine it would pair very well.

Are you sure I can't talk you into a Stratus? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 5, 2015 at 12:57 PM Post #10,315 of 11,521
  So I heard back again from Audeze, pretty much told me the only significant difference should be the weight.

I really hope it "break in" and stops hurting because I dig the extra details over the LCD-2f.

Anyone experienced significant increase in comfort levels after prolonged use?

--- Also on a slightly different tangent, is the LCD-3 harder to drive than the 2f? I've been testing both on my Lyr (with $180 tubes) but I'm wondering if I'm potentially underpowering the LCD-3s and so not giving a fair picture of its sound.

Your Lyr does not lack for power. That is not an issue with that amp.

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #10,316 of 11,521
Gotta admit I once tried my LCD2 rev 1 with my speaker amp (a massive 250W/8R class A beast). It completely blew away my headphone amps. Soundstage, imaging, separation and natural timbre were remarkable. There was a sense of relaxed control and it was one of those "like being there" moments (I've had these with my more modest 6W tube speaker/hp amp as well to be fair).

If it were practical I would use this amp all the time. Sometime soon I plan to try the 3F with it...

Apr 5, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #10,317 of 11,521
Gotta admit I once tried my LCD2 rev 1 with my speaker amp (a massive 250W/8R class A beast). It completely blew away my headphone amps. Soundstage, imaging, separation and natural timbre were remarkable. There was a sense of relaxed control and it was one of those "like being there" moments (I've had these with my more modest 6W tube speaker/hp amp as well to be fair).

If it were practical I would use this amp all the time. Sometime soon I plan to try the 3F with it...

That's exactly it. I am using the HE-6s on my class A speaker amp, so while at that I found it also sounds amazing with the 3Fs. Unfortunately the gain is too high for the 3Fs, so there is some background hush noise. But I have not yet found a headamp that can give that huge soundstage, imaging precision, transients, natural tonality and focus to the 3Fs.

Apr 5, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #10,318 of 11,521

Ok so after some further time with LCD 2 rev 2, LCD-2f, LCD-3f I think it is actually the fazors themselves causing the problem. My ears stick out a fair bit from my head and I think what is happening is that they are brushing up against the fazor's sharp edge at the part of my ear that is most extended. It's noticeable somewhat on the LCD-2f but not much at all, I think the increased weight of the LCD-3f makes it significantly worse.

Or am I just crazy?

If I do end up, for comfort reasons, with a LCD-2f and LCD-3c would that just be a bizzare combo to own? With the 2f possibly having better soundstage and the 3c having... better detail and more intimate soundstage? 

Apr 6, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #10,319 of 11,521

If that's the case and you mostly listen to EDM then go with the x's just make sure ok with the weight.

But for EDM, yeah, the x's are extra-ordinary...

Ive read that some say the LCD-3F is better with EDM, or electronic music in general.
Its more enjoyable. 
So ive been thinking about getting rid of my X's and get the 3Fs...
I havent been fully enjoying the X's tho, cause I dont like it compared with the mjolnir duo to its brightness. 

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #10,320 of 11,521
  Ive read that some say the LCD-3F is better with EDM, or electronic music in general.
Its more enjoyable. 
So ive been thinking about getting rid of my X's and get the 3Fs...
I havent been fully enjoying the X's tho, cause I dont like it compared with the mjolnir duo to its brightness. 

I did about 3-4 hours comparing the two for drum and bass and dubstep last week at my dealer, with my macbook and JDS labs o2. Every time I put the 3's on they surprised me. Very forgiving, smooth and very, very enjoyable for said genres. I'm actually saving money for the 3's/he-1000's now. Just a wonderful headphone.

After half an hour I would swap over, and immediately be struck with more detail, sparkle, punchier bass and an over all better sense of being there (in the club as 50 cent would say).

The 3's are great with edm - the x's destroy with edm. Absolutely destroy.

Oh and the 3's are very pretty 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back