New Audeze LCD3
Nov 26, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,921 of 11,521
Yeah sure buddy, I saw the check from Hifiman on your desk. 
tongue_smile.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #1,922 of 11,521

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. At the Irvine meet, I was outnumbered 4 to 1 in terms of less than positive impressions. 
frown.gif

As for one size fits all? Maybe the closest one would be the Joe Grado HP1000? Just throwing it out as a candidate. 
biggrin.gif

LoL...a great can the HP1000s. But talk about compressed imaging, mediocre sub bass response and still a bit too bright for me. But still, the best Grado's I've ever heard. If they still made drivers for them, I might be tempted to pick up a used pair. Makes me wonder why John hasn't asked good old uncle Joe for some help.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #1,923 of 11,521

Quote:

LoL...a great can the HP1000s. But talk about compressed imaging, mediocre sub bass response and still a bit too bright for me. But still, the best Grado's I've ever heard. If they still made drivers for them, I might be tempted to pick up a used pair. Makes me wonder why John hasn't asked good old uncle Joe for some help.

He would have to ask Joe for help through prayer as Joe is in the great beyond dude
wink_face.gif

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:29 PM Post #1,924 of 11,521
Are you serious? Joe's gone? I know Joe's wife passed away not too long ago; and I had spoken to him a few months back... 

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #1,925 of 11,521

Quote:
Are you serious? Joe's gone? I know Joe's wife passed away not too long ago; and I had spoken to him a few months back... 

I thought Joe was still with us too?

Either way, the best John Grado headphone I've heard is the HF-2 then the RS1/RS1i. I've owned pretty much all of them; except for the GS/PS1000s....never really liked them. But none of these headphones were up to par with the HP1000s IMO.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #1,927 of 11,521
Joe is neither alive nor dead.  He lies in a deathly sleep in New York until such time that headphone sales are right and he can descend to give us rock and metal bliss.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,928 of 11,521

Quote:
I thought Joe was still with us too?

Either way, the best John Grado headphone I've heard is the HF-2 then the RS1/RS1i. I've owned pretty much all of them; except for the GS/PS1000s....never really liked them. But none of these headphones were up to par with the HP1000s IMO.

i thought I read somewhere he has passed but I could be wrong however he really does nothing with grado anymore and has not for years.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #1,932 of 11,521

Quote:

I would agree on that. Assuming a sufficiently resolving source is used, the LCD3s are similar to the HD650s in that they require seriously good amplification for them to reach their full potential. I tried the LCD3 on a lesser DAC/amp combo, and it just didn't do the trick. As you said, barely any better, if at all, compared to the LCD2. I spoke to LFF the other day and I think it's just a matter of his expectations of a $2000 headphone.

I can't care less if a high end headphone sounds good or not on bad system or bad recordings. In fact it'd be a problem if the headphone does IMO. It would mean there probably be some serious colouration and the headphone is not natural, and I would have to sent the headphone back. The best headphone delivers what you feed them, no more, no less.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #1,933 of 11,521

Quote:
i thought I read somewhere he has passed but I could be wrong however he really does nothing with grado anymore and has not for years.

Joe has a secret stash of HP1000 drivers and spare parts. He won't sell the drivers, but he actually offers an upgrade to existing HP1000s.

Please don't talk about stuff you don't know anything about. Implying a person is dead, especially someone like Joe Grado, who is indeed up there in years, is not kewl. Definitely not kewl.

Nov 26, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #1,935 of 11,521

Quote:

Yeah, he's been working on a microphone and mic preamp. The death of his wife hit him pretty hard though so he hasn't been doing much of anything lately.

se

Users who are viewing this thread

Back