New Audeze LCD3
Nov 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #1,651 of 11,521

Quote:
For the LCD3 the Grace gives the smoothest treble in the batch. I am not sure anyone else made such extensive comparisons among these things specifically for the LCD3 yet, but IMO it is clearly better than he Benchmark by far, at least with the LCD3.

Just listening to Enigma's Sadeness through my home rig on the LCD3. Definitely one of the moments when I prefer the LCD3 to the 009. :) The chanting and the bass are both sublime.

Quote:
Right now just using the headphone jack on the Gold, but planning on hooking it up Balanced. Alex, from Audeze said to make sure I try balanced. The Gold is a fantastic DAC, I guess it surprised me how good the amp section is. The ambience and detail coming out of the Gold and LCD2's is wild. I have never heard any amp-speaker system to equal this in tmy 40 years of listening.

Just to note, I have gone to the CES show about 22 times in my lifetime, I have heard more than a few $200,000+ systems.

I lifted this from : http://www.head-fi.org/t/569334/antelope-zodiac-comparison-chart/45#post_7802719

I'm considering the ZG to drive my speaker rig as a DAC / preamp combo ( because you can't bypass the pre, Antelope recommends that you skip adding another one to keep S/N down).

Also would use this as a DAC / amp combo to drive an Audeze phone is well. For those that don't know, the ZG has selectable impedances on the head input. I was hoping you would eventually confirm Ozark Tom's post.

Nov 20, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #1,653 of 11,521
Eventually maybe... but since I have already got the Esoteric K-01, SRM727II, Beyerdynamic T5P, Westone ES5, SR009, LCD2 and LCD3, and some pretty expensive cables (and I don't even care about mentioning the portable DACs / amps) all within 2011, I think the Zodiac Gold / Voltikus and Liquid Fire will have to wait until 2012. Also considering a second hand F360 at the moment so need to save up a bit.

Plus I still have some doubts on standalone DACs using computer output - so far I have not heard a single DAC, Weiss and Antelope included, using computer as source and sounds as good as top end CD players or player/DAC separates such as Esoteric (03 series or above), Playback Design, EMM Labs, dCS or Soluution - even though the CD players are just playing redbook CDs. The closest is the Linn Klimax DS/I but that is not exactly a DAC. But of course, putting the player mentioned above in the office is something quite out of the question...

So in conclusion I may use the Grace M903 as a temporary solution for my office setup until I get something good next year. I really don't need both the SR009 and LCD3 at home. It is difficult to get an audition of the Liquid Fire in Hong Kong - I have urged Jaben to import one while I was there today. If the Liquid Fire is really as good as mentioned on Head-fi, seems like the Zodiac Gold and Liquid Fire will be the way to go.

One brand which is considered high end in Hong Kong but is rarely mentioned on Head-fi which I want to ask about - has anyone heard their LCD2/3's with a Rudistor headphone amp? Very interested in impressions on Rudistor amps as well. Thanks.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #1,654 of 11,521
Good stuff lmswjm. I am very interested in the Zodiac Gold too, and considering I am not going to put a US$20,000+ CD player in the office, it appears to be the best solution for me with its size. Unfortunately these purchases will have to wait until 2012 for me, as I promised myself that the LCD3 would be my last headphone related purchase in 2011. I did order a Litz cable from Norse two days later, and am now considering the Grace M903 - then I convinced myself interpreting my previous words as no "major purchases" for 2011...

I think you will still need a good headphone amp for the LCD3 - not sure the Zodiac Gold's headphone amp is up to par for the rest of your gear. Again, your system is as good as the weakest link in the chain.
Quote:

I lifted this from : http://www.head-fi.org/t/569334/antelope-zodiac-comparison-chart/45#post_7802719

I'm considering the ZG to drive my speaker rig as a DAC / preamp combo ( because you can't bypass the pre, Antelope recommends that you skip adding another one to keep S/N down).

Also would use this as a DAC / amp combo to drive an Audeze phone is well. For those that don't know, the ZG has selectable impedances on the head input. I was hoping you would eventually confirm Ozark Tom's post.

Nov 20, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #1,656 of 11,521
Googleli,
I had the Rudi RPX-33 MKII a while back. I replaced it with an Audio-GD Phoenix, which I felt was significantly better in just about every regard (Generally speaking, since I don't have anything Audeze).  BTW, assuming you've heard Audio-GD's stuff, how does it rank among others you've listed?

Nov 20, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #1,657 of 11,521
When you try out the Lyr, bring a good set of vintage tubes and I know you'll be impressed. I'm also thinking about getting the Burson, now that the DS version is so cheap.

Quote:
Next time I will have to try the Lyr again but most likely I will get the Grace M903. Or the Grace plus the Lyr if the Lyr makes it sound much better. Need a bit more time with the Lavry as well.  

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #1,660 of 11,521
F360? Nice. How much will it cost for a nice second hand? The tax really kills for a new Ferrari in Hong Kong though!

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #1,661 of 11,521
I heard the Rudistor electrostat amp is crap, just wondering whether their normal headphone amps are the same.

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #1,663 of 11,521
Jian, have you compared the Leben with your 909 and V200 for the LCD3? Interested to hear some impressions. Thanks!

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #1,664 of 11,521
That's the price of a decent speaker system when you think of it

Nov 20, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #1,665 of 11,521
Coming up soon, need to write a Chinese review first for our headphone community though. Need a bit more of the head time just to be certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back