New ATH-M50's - High distortion
Jan 10, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #16 of 29
distortion won't happen because a headphone isn't burned in.  In fact burning in makes them more likely to distort because they'll have more hours on them and thus they are closer to that inevitable hour many thousands or millions of hours from now when the drivers finally burn up completely. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #17 of 29
My SRH750DJs do this as well, I don't think it has anything to do with burn-in, I think headphones liek these are just unforgiving of poor quality files.  Although your mp3s are 250 kbps, maybe they were enlarged or something and I've read somewhere that once something has been compressed it doesn't matter when you enlarge it.  If it happens on all your songs then you should worry.  I noticed my 750s only do it son singles I downloaded which are usually sub-par quality.  Albums I only get at 320 kbps and as far as I know they never distort unless I eq to add bass from my itunes which I never do.  Hope this helps :)

Jan 10, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #19 of 29
i got mine from zzsounds....no problem with the set i got

Dec 21, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #21 of 29
Hi, I just got M50s aswell after an age of deciding and have also noticed distortion on a lot of tracks. Its fine until I push the volume a tad. Not so its too loud but enough to feel the bass and push it a little. The sound becomes "fizzy" at the high end and static sounding. 

I am listening to dubstep tracks through to simple Adele with voice and piano and its the same. 

I have used them for about 3 hours but I wouldnt think burn in would affect the distortion.

Maybe im being over critical but going by all the rave reviews these headphones get you would think there would be low distortion. 

£135 aint so cheap when there are a lot of good quality phones for under £100 out there. Want to love these though. Kinda set my mind on em lol! 

Mine are genuine from amazon and I double checked the insides to be sure.

Dec 21, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #23 of 29
Wow, sometimes I wonder about the volumes people use.

These should be able to provide a pretty satisfying (but too loud for me btw) 86 dB at a mere 0.05 milliWatt.

At the volume I listen at, .00625 milliWatt is sufficient, which means my amp has about 128,000 times as much power as needed.

Are they being connected to a line-level output?

Or, conversely, is the signal being "double amped?"

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:38 PM Post #25 of 29
Im listening through a focusrite saffire 6 straight in the phones output. volume at 7. pc vol is at 90. not sure on how many db that is. Using windows media player and VLC player. 

I may just be being extra critical and it may just be that im really hearing the cr4p quality of mp3s for the first time :)

Ill try flac files to compare

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #26 of 29
Just make sure you're not double-amping them.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #27 of 29
Quote:
I may just be being extra critical and it may just be that im really hearing the cr4p quality of mp3s for the first time :)

Or the crap quality of dubstep recordings. What sort of dubstep is this? Quote unquote "real" dubstep from the late 90s early 2000s, or "brostep" like Skrillex?

Are your piano recordings at a low bitrate? Are they recorded well?

Dec 22, 2011 at 5:47 AM Post #28 of 29
listening to flac files is better but there is still something not quite right. Just sounds mushy/unclear at top end to my ears. Gonna compare a friends beats and then ill know for sure as these are supposed to be better for sound quality. Also find the m50s a tad heavy and tight but I do have a large head! haha. Wore them a few hours last night and head got v hot too. pleather = sweat! 

Dec 22, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #29 of 29
Look up the coax pad mod for the M50s, I'm a big fan of it.

It still sounds to me like you may have an input/output problem. You're sure you're not sending an amped signal to another amp? Or connecting directly to a line level out?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back