New and Improved Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 v2.0 - Huge Sound in a Tiny Package.
Jul 30, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #31 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh man, I hope they don't upgrade the triple.fi. More money to spend, and the loss of selling the old version will take a big price hit.
frown.gif

I still don't think, that UE planned the SuperFi 5 as an upgrade to the existing SuperFi 5 Pro. It's a completely different design, "only" one driver, lower msrp.
So calling it v2.0 is a bit of a stretch....

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #33 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buchieboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is it only 13 ohms? plan to get one for the ipod
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, is it better than super fi 5 pro?

Did you not read the original post?

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:13 AM Post #34 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Ed,
Could you comment a little on the isolation with these? And how do they pair up directly with a portable source(H-120)? I think the resistance is rather too low(13ohms), which may reveal too much electrical noises. And I know you mentioned a bit on the cables, but how long do you expect them to last? I hope they don't mirror the infamous Sony EX cables.

Yeah, it's still hiss city with the H-120, but that's still the H-120's fault, so you should still use a headphone amp with the H-120/140's.

The cables don't seem overly fragile, only time will tell how well they hold up.

-Ed

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #35 of 325
So is anyone able to confirm the number of drivers in it? I always hated the UE series because of the wires.

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #36 of 325
It says on their website that it is a single driver.

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #37 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulpix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So is anyone able to confirm the number of drivers in it? I always hated the UE series because of the wires.

The website claims a single driver.

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #38 of 325
Anyone else notice the lack of double flanges? I'm not a big fan of single flanges, since they usually don't provide the same kind of seal and isolation that double or triple flanges offer (for my ears, at least).

And I agree, this doesn't seem like a 2.0. Almost like a step back from the SF5 Pros, for the more fashion-conscious general public. One way we'll know for sure if these are meant to replace the SF5 Pros is if they discontinue them, and offer only the SFP5's.

Jul 30, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #39 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else notice the lack of double flanges? I'm not a big fan of single flanges, since they usually don't provide the same kind of seal and isolation that double or triple flanges offer (for my ears, at least).

And I agree, this doesn't seem like a 2.0. Almost like a step back from the SF5 Pros, for the more fashion-conscious general public. One way we'll know for sure if these are meant to replace the SF5 Pros is if they discontinue them, and offer only the SFP5's.

Just to be clear, I'm the only one that has called them "2.0". Ultimate Ears only calls them "Super.Fi 5".

I feel they deserve to be called "2.0" because they are a 2nd Generation product, and they sound better in a smaller size. But if having biflanges and larger, ugly, and less fashion-conscious styling is what you desire, you can always get Etymotics.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #40 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just to be clear, I'm the only one that has called them "2.0". Ultimate Ears only calls them "Super.Fi 5".

I feel they deserve to be called "2.0" because they are a 2nd Generation product, and they sound better in a smaller size. But if having biflanges and larger, ugly, and less fashion-conscious styling is what you desire, you can always get Etymotics.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

LOL, I've got my Sleeks, which are IMO are a fantastic combination of both styling and superb SQ and bi-flange seal.

Plus, I do own the original SF5Pro, so I clearly don't mind the look of them. On top of that, I'm also an avid Thinkpad user, so I actually appreciate more spartan designs that favor function over fashion.

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #41 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, I've got my Sleeks, which are IMO are a fantastic combination of both styling and superb SQ and bi-flange seal.

Plus, I do own the original SF5Pro, so I clearly don't mind the look of them. On top of that, I'm also an avid Thinkpad user, so I actually appreciate more spartan designs that favor function over fashion.

I actually find the new Super.Fi 5's design to be quite minimalist. It's only the use of chrome that gives it bling, which the SA6's also have.

The SA6 has the best BiFlanges out there. Well, which for me is like saying this is the most comfortable enema ever!

-Ed

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:10 PM Post #42 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually find the new Super.Fi 5's design to be quite minimalist. It's only the use of chrome that gives it bling, which the SA6's also have.

The SA6 has the best BiFlanges out there. Well, which for me is like saying this is the most comfortable enema ever!

-Ed

Just when I thought I was out...y'all pull me back in. Just ordered the Super.fi 5's from SoundEarphones. Can't wait to try them out tomorrow! The comment about the soundstage has me very interested.
darthsmile.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #43 of 325
Hmmm, higher SQ than the SA6? I might have to check it out, if only for kicks. Amazon has them with no shipping, for Prime members (but they don't ship for 3 weeks). Plus, a 30-day return policy. I won't ever abandon my Sleeks, since I really do love their sound and am looking forward to the wireless option. But I may have to sell off some other phones (716s, for example), to fund an SF5 purchase. Never owned UE before, and always interested in trying new flavors. And if I don't like them, back they go.

Jul 30, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #44 of 325
I somewhat doubt these will have superior SQ when compared to the SA6's.

Jul 30, 2008 at 11:53 PM Post #45 of 325
Edwood, do you have a rough comparison with these and the SE530 in mind?

I don't have much of a collection with iem's/earbuds, but I do have a friend upstairs that have a SE530.

Thanks for the write-up btw
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back