New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jun 13, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #1,351 of 2,828
I truly hope it sounds terrible with the Yggdrasil. That will make it much easier for me to resist the temptation to upgrade my Bifrost 2.
I'm using my RME ADi 2 DAC with the mini tonight, it's my main DAC for the headphone rig, my Yggdrasil's are on my speaker rigs. At some point I'll take the mini downstairs (where the Yggdrasil is) and substitute it for the Freya and see how that goes, the mini as a pre amp. I'll take headphones down there as well, to see what i think of the mini - Yggdrasil pairing on the cans as well. I can't wait to hear the HD800s with the mini, but it's currently on order. I hope I get it next week.

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:36 PM Post #1,352 of 2,828
I'm using my RME ADi 2 DAC with the mini tonight, it's my main DAC for the headphone rig, my Yggdrasil's are on my speaker rigs. At some point I'll take the mini downstairs (where the Yggdrasil is) and substitute it for the Freya and see how that goes, the mini as a pre amp. I'll take headphones down there as well, to see what i think of the mini - Yggdrasil pairing on the cans as well. I can't wait to hear the HD800s with the mini, but it's currently on order. I hope I get it next week.
You have 2 Yggdrasils?

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #1,353 of 2,828
You have 2 Yggdrasils?
Yeah I have one here at the house and the other one is out at my office. Someday, when I leave the office, I'll bring that Yggdrasil home and it can fight it out with the RME on the headphone rig. I love the Yggdrasil's, but the RME is an excellent piece of gear as well.

Jun 13, 2020 at 10:53 PM Post #1,354 of 2,828
I love this amp with my PS2000e, so you should be very impressed with your setup too! Congrats!
Listening to the mini with the PS1000e, wow, it sounds great. I can only imagine what the PS2000e sounds like my goodness. Dang this hobby lol!

Jun 13, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #1,357 of 2,828
I've never directly compared the A1 to A2. The A1 is at the office and the A2 is at home. Maybe someday I will, but I've thought about sending the office Yggy in for A2 as well. Impressions without direct comparison, I like the sound of A2 better, but I can't really pinpoint things. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Jun 15, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #1,358 of 2,828
Anyone ever compared Mini side by side with wells audio Milo?

Heard GSX MKII several times, thought that amp has quite good technicalities, but not suit my taste as a little too aggressive and I like something darker in treble area. Read around 20-30 pages here, all confirmed the same that Mini has fuller and more polite presentation in treble area.

Personally, Milo is already great in so many ways, being clear sound, 3D feel, with good mid and bass body, sparkle yet not harsh treble. However, sometimes I feel this amp has "too much energy" or "too much excitement", make slow pace songs become a bit "in hurry", and not relax enough for me. As additional information, I like Auris HA-2SE, but tonality wise, a bit too much midrange section for my headphone (Diana V2) and both extension (treble and bass) not as great as Milo.

Jun 16, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #1,359 of 2,828
I have both here and love the combination. The colour is colourless to my ears with a touch of warmth thanks to the GS-X mini. Just sublime combination!

Thank you. I would imagine the pairing would be heavenly. The Utopias can use just a touch of warmth IMO. I would love to compare this with the DSHA-3F some day.

Because you’ve asked....sorry, for iPad photo.
Colour is black and I have sold the Utopia due to the small soundstage.
At the moment just burning in with different headphones...only day 3. D2970837-C252-4D53-BF05-5440E0033782.jpeg

Glossy Black. You can never go wrong with black. How does the balanced out compare with the single-ended?

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #1,360 of 2,828
Im still not 100% sure that GS-X mini is better than IFI Pro ICan (with better power suply and tubes).
I find ICan more musicial and fluid but GS-X mini has better scene, holo and its more detalited.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 11:17 PM Post #1,361 of 2,828
Im still not 100% sure that GS-X mini is better than IFI Pro ICan (with better power suply and tubes).
I find ICan more musicial and fluid but GS-X mini has better scene, holo and its more detalited.
Good tubes can do that :)

Jun 18, 2020 at 5:19 AM Post #1,363 of 2,828
Are all the colors available in both glossy and matte? I only see glossy red and black on the website but some pictures of red and black units look matte to my eyes.

You gotta put matte in the comments when you checkout if you want a matte black

Users who are viewing this thread

Back