New Album - Volta by Bjorg
May 11, 2007 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

iancraig10

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone given this disc a listen yet?

I just couldn't get into it myself. I love her earlier albums but this one to me seems very 'hit and miss'. I enjoyed the first two tracks and then once I heard the wobbly man's voice, it seemed to go downhill with a few peaks here and there.

There is an amazing 'out of head motorbike' on track 2 (I think) The album is recorded well but I found myself only able to listen to a few tracks before my mind was wandering. Couldn't stay with it.

I have listened to it 6 times now with different equipment just to see if the sound I'm getting impedes it, but, no, I just can't stick with this album.

IMO, it's just not up to earlier standards which for me was a let down since I am very keen on her work overall.

If you can, listen before you buy.

Ian

May 11, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #2 of 19
I've put a review up on Amazon.co.uk here. Like you, I'm bemused: on the one hand I think that it's good, and on the other I don't really like it much.

May 11, 2007 at 9:28 AM Post #3 of 19
Yes .... my feeling is that it loses its sense of direction. In the good old days of LP, we would play with songs and linking so that the music felt as though it was going through a journey.

With this album, it feels like going to the shop and back and then somewhere else with each new song.

I also think that the guy's voice was a big mistake in this style of music. It just doesn't work.

Some of the highlights reveal good old Bjork but I feel that she loses her way with this album.

Ian

May 11, 2007 at 9:54 AM Post #4 of 19
I like it!

I really like her voice though and the guys voice sounds good to my ears too. I liked the unusual sounds on the album too.

I wouldn't shut my eyes and focus on the whole album but it kept my attention while on the pc.

I can see why others won't love it and your right that it doesn't flow.

May 11, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 19
One thing I liked about the CD was the way that the brass were recorded. You can really hear the room sound. The motorcycle is in 3D in my headphones. The first time I heard it, I really thought that someone was outside, getting closer. (To my left)

The samples are good too. The live drumming is also recorded beautifully.

For me, it's just the way that the songs seem to ramble with some good stuff intermingled.

It'll be interesting to see how the Bjork fans will react to this. The Amazon reviews are very mixed too. (Thanks Sordel)

Ian

May 11, 2007 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 19
whose Bjorg?
biggrin.gif

May 11, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
whose Bjorg?
biggrin.gif

What does "whose" mean?
icon10.gif

May 11, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like it!

I really like her voice though and the guys voice sounds good to my ears too. I liked the unusual sounds on the album too.

The guy's voice would be Antony Hegarty from Antony and The Johnsons. If you like it try out the album "I Am A Bird Now"- It's rather terrific.

May 11, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ichiboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The guy's voice would be Antony Hegarty from Antony and The Johnsons. If you like it try out the album "I Am A Bird Now"- It's rather terrific.

Yeah, that's a great album. Very easy to listen to. I think Antony adds a lot to the two Volta songs he's on. Bjork's stuff is usually more difficult to listen to and takes a few listens to warm up to. It's a great headphone album and I just noticed how amazing the bass is on "Hope". My PS-1 loves this track.

May 12, 2007 at 4:01 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What does "whose" mean?
icon10.gif

Touche.

May 12, 2007 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 19
I like the record a lot, but have only listened to it twice so I can't get too specific about the whys just yet unfortunately. I will say that being all over the place is pretty much Bjork's stock in trade and one of the things I like about her. Before it was always big differences from album to album, though, so I can see why someone might wish for a more cohesive sound. Doesn't bother me at all, though, to me it's the main thing I like about her. Brass on one track, beats on the other, string quartet on the next.... it's all good. Anyway, I definitely like most/all of the songs on Volta, and that's the main thing I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back