New album releases in 2010 - Update/discussion thread
Mar 1, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #47 of 202
My picks for 2010 so far...

Mycale - an a capella vocal group of four women. It's a bit unusual - they use a vocal percussion technique which can be a little hard to get used to. After the second or third listen it stopped sounding odd to my ears and I started to really enjoy it. I saw them perform a couple of weeks ago and I thought they were simply stunning live. You can hear some full tracks on their Myspace page.

Ultime Cosmos by Lucien Dubuis Trio w/Marc Ribot. I am just loving this one, it's kind of an amalgam between avant jazz and funk and rock. Really fun. Love the big fat bass lines. And the bonus DVD footage is great. They did a sort of silly trailer for it which might give you a feel for it (you can skip the 20 seconds of inexplicable garbage truck footage):
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And lastly, a very different kind of jazz: Preservation. A benefit album featuring classic New Orleans jazz numbers and a seriously impressive roster of both classic and modern American singers. This one's a no-brainer for anyone who likes New Orleans jazz. You can listen to it streaming on their website: Preservation - A Benefit Album Just press play at the top.

Mar 1, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #48 of 202
March 16th this comes out! Streetlight Manifesto - 99 Songs of Revolution. 3 of the songs were leaked already and it sounds great!

Mar 1, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #50 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by uberburger101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's the new Massive Attack album Heligoland. I'm loving it.
smile.gif

41sV%2BhqOTgL._SS400_.jpg

BIG X2. This is an awesome album. I really like the bassline in the first track 'Pray for Rain'. I dont have a favorite song yet, though.

Anyone heard JJ - nº 3 yet? Impressions?
jj-n-3-out-march--large-msg-126163266912.jpg

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #51 of 202
Having my first listen to Joanna Newsom's latest right now....

For all you neo folk freaks, check out Laura Veirs latest album. Good stuff...

laura-veirs-july-flame-LST069022.jpg

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #52 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSky0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pity it's (all?) covers, still can't wait.

Yea and at the rate they are going with album releases we won't hear anything original for another decade or so.

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #53 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Cave-In??? (full album palease)

Just curious, what did you think of Planets of Old?

I'm looking forward to releases from:
Black Keys (maybe more than one???)
Coldplay
Death Cab for Cutie (yes, I will admit to the last two)
Elbow
Fleet Foxes
Gaslight Anthem
Interpol?
Minus the Bear (though I have low expectations based on the songs I've heard...)
Oceansize!
and hopefully something from Radiohead
The National

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #54 of 202
fleet foxes is coming out with a new album? holy smokes nice one. I saw them live and it was incredible.

Definitely looking forward to the national too! And I'm seeing them live on Oakland in a month or so!

I'm also seeing midlake in a few days, and I think their new album is gorgeous. A bit of a let down from Van Occupanther, but if it was their debut I would have nothing but positive things to say.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:41 PM Post #55 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekliptiko /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone heard JJ - nº 3 yet? Impressions?

I don't think it was much of a departure from their previous so if you enjoyed nº2 then this album will be perfect for you I say.

ps: has anyone checked out chamillionaire's new mix album?!?!?!
beyersmile.png

776d75e0majorpain.jpg

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #56 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xuster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it was much of a departure from their previous so if you enjoyed nº2 then this album will be perfect for you I say.

ps: has anyone checked out chamillionaire's new mix album?!?!?!
beyersmile.png

http://pic.leech.it/i/8aff0/776d75e0majorpain.jpg

Well, i only liked one song off that album, but i liked it alot. maybe ill skip no.3.

I will have to check out the Chamillionaire mix tho...

Mar 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #57 of 202
Quote:

Originally Posted by cruizin caleb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Screen-shot-2010-02-20-at-4.26.10-PM.png

^^those are the 2010 full-length releases i've given multiple listens heard so far.

my standout favorites thus far are:
Vampire Weekend - Contra
SURFER BLOOD - ASTRO COAST (GREAT guitar album... sounds awesome on Grados)
Beach House - Teen Dream

superb albums IMO

Caleb, what did you think of the Spoon album? A lot of hype leading up to it, but Pitchfork's review was a bit uhhh mixed so I've put off getting it.

Mar 2, 2010 at 7:55 PM Post #58 of 202
One of my latest purchases. 2xcd of white blaze sonic assault by this master. not for faint hearted indeed..

Skullflower - Strange Keys to Untune God’s Firmament

NR067_skullflower_250.jpg

Mar 2, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #59 of 202
Two new jazz albums from Madlib:

Young Jazz Rebels - Slave Riot

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The Last Electro-Acoustic Space Jazz & Percussion Ensemble - Miles Away

Mar 4, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #60 of 202
Currently streaming the new Gorillaz album, Plastic Beaches. So far I'm really enjoying it. Tempted to buy it on release, which I rarely do. Quite unlike their other two before. More of an avant-garde soundscape than a pop album, but it's still got plenty of groove sprinkled throughout to keep the feet tapping.

At the very least, the first half is good!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back