New Album by Yes: "Fly From Here"
Jul 14, 2011 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Olias of Sunhillow

1000+ Head-Fier
Wondering what other Yes fans think of the new record. I've probably heard it three times so far -- been playing the CD at work all day, and will spin the LP at home tonight. While it's not nearly up to the level of their best work like Close to the Edge (or maybe even second-tier efforts like Going For The One), I still find it to be a remarkable achievement for a 40-plus-year-old band.

The title suite has an impressive overall feel and scope that reminds one of early Alan Parsons (in a good way). It's a bit repetitive, but upon successive listens the repetition seems to have purpose. Benoit David's vocals are good throughout and very impressive in others. On Side B, the Squire vanity piece is embarrassing, but everything else (especially the final track) strikes me as very well done.

Any thoughts?

Jul 14, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #2 of 46
Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea. I'll let you know once I get it. 

Jul 15, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #3 of 46
I am really digging it.  It's a very fine record.  The "Fly From here" suite is especially impressive. Really, really good stuff IMHO.  Best Yes record since 90125 (assuming you don;t count ABWH as a Yes album).

Jul 17, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #4 of 46

So I haven't decided how I feel about the fact that the Fly From Here suite was written 31 years ago. On the one hand, for me it is an enchanting piece of music. But somehow I'm a little disappointed in having learned that it was penned back in the Drama era, only for this reason: it seems to me that most artists the "vintage" of Yes struggle with writing compelling new material. For a few hours, I believed that this current Yes lineup had somehow broken through that. I was incredibly impressed at how good the song craft was. Having then discovered that Fly From Here is really just a remake of a 30 year old work, well, that sadly reduces the chances IMO that we will continue to see enticing new music from this Yes lineup.

That said, I have been playing Fly From Here repeatedly, and I like it more with each playing.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #5 of 46
Ive listented to the new Yes album on three different high end audio systems.
On my Audio Technica w1000 system with a musical fidelity tube buffer system with
high current power supply and custom Chronosound silver usb cable into a Wavelength
silver wired Usb Brick DAC, the sound is fabulous, detailed and the voices especially
lyrically and pure.  The more complex layered songs are a bit muddy and get annoying
and the actual lyrics are about B plus, not up to the best of their work, but tolerable.

On my Apogee Diva system with referenfe Krell HA=1 pre computer controlled, no current
limit amplifiers wired directly to the telephone pole power lines, with high current Krell
preamp and solid silver audioquest interconnects, the music rains like a storm from the speakers and leaves guest with their mouths open.  great symphonic qualitiy and effect.
Lots of detail and lots of power.  superb presentation, and sounds more like the live Yes shows.

On a B and W 805 system the Yes album is entertaining but neither detailed nor powerful.
Listenable and pleasant, but not remarkable.

have not tried it yet on my new Zu Audio  Soul Suplerly with Jolida 503BC tube amp system.
but should be remarkable on that state of the art system.  the Zu s bring out the best in almost every disc!

So in summary, Fly with Me by Yes sounds different on different systems to a remarkable degree.  the Yes concert experience is probably best repoduced on big concert level systems
such as the Apogee Divas which have both detail and power.  The headphones are delightful
ways to hear it but reveal the sonic shortcomings of trying to mix too much in at times but
the voice clarity is spectacular.  An "ordinary" system doesnt cut it for this album.

all in all:  highly recommended album worth listening over and over to on your best systems.
Also, its meaningful music that tells a story and is worth groking the meaning of their efforts.
Buy it, listen to it and listen again..  Thanks Yes for coming back with more.

best wishes, drbluenew mexico.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:04 AM Post #6 of 46
I've been playing it mostly on my very powerful and full range vintage system, via speakers. Sounds incredible in that context.

Jul 17, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #8 of 46
I think you will be pleased. I absolutely LOVE it. Can't stop playing it - played it several times a day since it got here.

Jul 17, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #9 of 46

Quote:
So I haven't decided how I feel about the fact that the Fly From Here suite was written 31 years ago. On the one hand, for me it is an enchanting piece of music. But somehow I'm a little disappointed in having learned that it was penned back in the Drama era, only for this reason: it seems to me that most artists the "vintage" of Yes struggle with writing compelling new material.

I was under the impression that only the main "We Can Fly" section was written in the Drama era, with the rest added during the recording of this album. I may be mistaken about that...

That being said, I do understand the disappointment associated with the fact that it's not all new material -- in fact, Squire and Howe's individual contributions barely seem like band efforts at all. Somehow, though, I can't stop listening to it... 
L3000.gif

Jul 18, 2011 at 8:56 AM Post #10 of 46
You may indeed be right about it being the main part only that was written before. I'm not sure. But I AM sure that, like you, I can't stop listening to it either - the version they recorded, whatever it's genesis, is absolutely fantastic :)

Jul 18, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #11 of 46

Quote:
You may indeed be right about it being the main part only that was written before. I'm not sure. But I AM sure that, like you, I can't stop listening to it either - the version they recorded, whatever it's genesis, is absolutely fantastic
smily_headphones1.gif

I checked a few of my dodgy bootlegs from the 1980 Drama tour. When they played it live, the track was apparently called "We Can Fly From Here" and clocks in at 5 or 6 minutes. Doesn't mean there wasn't more written than was played then, of course...

I haven't had time to really compare the content of the original song with what appears on the new record, but I'll try to do so in the next few days.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #12 of 46
Actually some other buddies have said basically the same thing - that it was just the basic "single" that was around back then.  So it makes the whole new record even that much more impressive.  Which it sure is.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #13 of 46
Is it really a Yes album without Jon Anderson though? I have not heard Benoit David sing, so I don't know what to expect. I haven't heard anything Yes more recent than ABWH, Union, and Talk, to be honest.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #14 of 46
I think this album is WAY better than either "Union" or "Talk".  Much better.  Do you like "Drama"?  If so, then for SURE you will like "Fly From Here", IMO.

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #15 of 46

Quote:
Is it really a Yes album without Jon Anderson though? I have not heard Benoit David sing, so I don't know what to expect. I haven't heard anything Yes more recent than ABWH, Union, and Talk, to be honest.

Whether it's really Yes without JA is a matter of personal opinion. Myself, I've always really like the Drama album with Trevor Horn, so the idea of an Anderson-less Yes doesn't trouble me too much. I can certainly understand opinions to the contrary, though.

I have a slightly different viewpoint on the situation than most, I think. Based on what I've heard from Jon recently -- recordings from his solo tour, and his recent album with Wakeman and subsequent tour -- he's certainly not up to singing with Yes right now. The voice just isn't there, and he sounds frail and hesitant. So regardless of the interpersonal politics that have led to the current situation, I think the choice RIGHT NOW is between a Yes without Jon Anderson, or no Yes at all. Again, which of the two is preferable is a personal choice, but I've made up my mind...

The new record is much better, IMO, than Union or Talk. I'm a huge fan of the ABWH album, so while I don't think I'd go so far as to say the new record is better, is certainly has more of a pleasant, organic kind of feel. It sounds to me like a band that's confident in where they find themselves and didn't try too hard to satisfy all the critics. It's just a good record to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back