New Abyss planar magnetic headphone
May 18, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #166 of 547
I agree that you should hear them first, but a vote is just another opinion. 100 people can be as wrong as 1 person, so if you want to get away from opinions you're being sort of hypocritical. If someone wants to dis the cost or looks, that's their right. There will be plenty of threads for the Abyss. Let it be, you all. 

May 18, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #167 of 547
Quote:

How about if i bashed on your precious Stax 009 without having heard them?, i'm willing to bet that you'd be defending them with everything you have, i hope you don't think that the 009 have a good price vs performance ratio, because if that's the case, you need a reality check.

And by the way, from what i've read, i'm willing to bet that i'm not the only one who's tired of your, ranting, maybe we could take a vote.

I don't have the SR-009, the bright tonality is not my cup of tea but you don't hear me go around each thread bashing them as I do quite like there products, not to the extent of being a fanboy though. My original argument is some company with no experience in making headphones (hint: a cable company who already have a list of inflated prices on there cables [what do you expect?]) releases some headphone with a price more than what a usual 009 costs, for those that can't hear the Abyss, why take the risk? The price is main factor of my complaint here. 
Quote:
How long can you really bash on these headphones. 
tongue.gif
 Keep goin' strong. 
biggrin.gif

Yeah I'm tiring out the force is no longer with me. 
frown.gif

May 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #168 of 547
Quote:

I keep coming to this Abyss thread, hoping to read some objective and informative posts to find out more about the them, and most of what i read is from you and your Stax fanboys bashing on them. you hate them, we get it, now, can we please move on?.

The headphones aren't even out yet so I'm not sure where you're getting the delusion that suddenly you'll wake up tomorrow and read a bunch of impressions about these headphones.  Come back when the headphone gets delivered to the first batch of owners or you'll surely continue being disappointed.

May 18, 2013 at 9:31 PM Post #169 of 547
Quote:
The headphones aren't even out yet so I'm not sure where you're getting the delusion that suddenly you'll wake up tomorrow and read a bunch of impressions about these headphones.  Come back when the headphone gets delivered to the first batch of owners or you'll surely continue being disappointed.

Thank you! Finally some sanity. 

May 19, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #170 of 547
Quote:

Actually I'm not sure about that. The launch was officially supposed to be in April. Haven't heard a peep from any owner about these yet, but talking to The Cable Company, the first batch sold out completely and they're already working to deliver the second batch by the end of this month. Dunno if any of those actual units have been delivered or not, but I had the impression that there were production versions out now. For instance Cable Co. has a demo unit that is currently in circulation AFAIK, and they're already working on getting a second demo set because the demand is so high (right now the wait list is a few months long).

So... yeah, it's pretty confusing. If they did indeed launch, it was a pretty quiet launch with zero fanfare aside from the articles on luxury lifestyle blogs. I guess we expect companies to send units to folks like Jude who give previews well in advance of the launch, but JPS seems to not be so interested in the head-fi community, or at least that's the impression I get.

May 19, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #171 of 547
Quote:

However. I'm very familiar with the Jecklin story and Jecklin - QUAD. That type of product can only really exist in the niche market, and thats fine by me.It also is not 5 grand a pop. The lesson there is find your target  and stick with it. Short of a buyout by a large org they will continue merrily along.

Yes, that's what I was saying. You seemed to imply that the new Floats were a failure because they weren't meeting the HD800's pricepoint, or at least that's how I read your response. I responded by saying they're two very different niche markets, despite both being high-end audiophilia. Your language of "killing the Floats" suggested this.

Quote:

There are more than a few eyeing the Abyss driver with a wary eye. Technical achievement, sure, longevity, questionable, we wait we see. Nobody is debating the effort put into it. by the same token how many manu's do you see actively whining about their RD costs?  What I am seeing, and this is just opinion here, is a company woefully underequipped to embark on this type of venture. "Feel the earth move under my feet", anyone? High price point to cover RD startup costs would have a vencapper apoplectic. It's a hallmark sign and not a good one.

Actually yes, people are debating that they put effort into it. Unless I somehow conjured the posts about JPS charging people for a $5k cable and a $500 headphone, the posts about their "taking people for a ride," etc. out of my imagination.

As for gaze of countless weary eyes, there have also been a few posts by orthoheads like dBel who are very excited about the Abyss driver. Posts that seem to be ignored in favor of the ones about popsicle sticks and ugly women, because let's be honest: this thread is more about people getting to feel good about trashing a $5k product. I'm not even saying there's anything wrong with that, or that this thread doesn't serve some kind of self-styled purpose of sending a message to manufacturers (or whatever). Just pointing out the underlying impetus for most of the posts here. 

Also I'm in no way suggesting their business model is sound. There are ways of not passing the costs off onto the consumer. Look at Audez'e, sure. However my point was that there is genuine R&D going into the drivers.

Quote:

I'm sure their entire production is sold out. The fact that review samples seem to be nonexistant  would bear that out. The attempts to charge for review samples is yet another thing. that again is not a healthy sign.

Oh, I fully agree with you. JPS is not going about their PR well at all in my opinion. The fact is they're not offering review samples period so far as I know. The "charging for a review sample" is a bit of a misrepresentation. The fact is, you can audition one at The Cable Co. for a 5% non refundable deposit. This is the policy Cable Co. uses for ALL of their lending library headphones, not just the Abyss. That 5% fee, of course, becomes almost $300 when you consider the cost of the Abyss, so yes it's quite an investment. However Cable Co. allows you to apply that amount to future purchases of whatever else they stock.

I personally think JPS should offer demo units for a full refundable deposit to people.

Quote:

There seems to be this trend in "high end" audio to crap all over customers. Lets charge restocking for review samples. Lets release players with firmware that does not support the functions we claim and promise an update real soon. Lets pop a cmoy in a box and charge 20 X what you could buy it for on TheBay. These are all just greed induced cash grabs at their worst.

Your point of Euro and Asian businessmen using them as novelty gifts illustrates the issue here. The value in the product is that is has no value. In some perverse Mcluhanistic otherworld called Audiophillia the outrageous price is the message and the higher the price the stronger the message.

Yes, indeed. These are all things that occur in our hobby, and I've posted at length in the past that the full-sized headphone market is in a sorry state right now, so I would agree with much of that.

My example of the businessmen was meant to illustrate the point that the Abyss will sell, regardless of whether we champion it as head-fi summit-fi approved or not. Again, this was in response to your post about stuff not selling well because it's not priced like the HD800. This wasn't a justification for the Abyss. I too find the price of the Abyss to be a problem. I'm not whistling dixie about it.

Quote:

I'd point out that Sennheiser did not start the company with the HD800, it was built gradually and with the profits from a well run business the HD800 at it's current price was made possible. Suddenly it seems en vogue to Start at the top, questionable business practice at best.

The technology itself. Look at where the industry is at now. Pancake dynamic drivers with impregnated voice coils are moving toward the ortho end of the spectrum. In about 5 years time there will be a very blurred line as to what we consdier an ortho or dynamic driver. That is being driven by the big boys and where do you suspect that will leave the small fry with the obscene price tag?

Again, I agree re: Sennheiser. They've earned their reputation. In the case of Sennheiser, again, I was referring to your point about HD800 prices. Most small companies simply can't charge what Sennheiser can for turnarounds on R&D.

And I'm sorry, but I'm just not seeing big guys like AKG and Beyer doing anything worthwhile right now. Sennheiser has their ring driver, they're tinkering around with orthos from what some insiders say, and they have a new 'stat that may come out in a thousand years, sure. But honestly the state of the full-sized market is just sad right now, and it's the smaller guys who seem to be doing most of the worthwhile stuff. If larger manufacturers are even eyeing orthos right now, it's because Audez'e and HiFiman---smaller guys---brought them back from the grave. Smaller companies are more likely to be risk takers. I'd love it if Yamaha or Fostex decided to get back into the ortho market and release a smaller-sized, easier-to-drive ortho for $500. But that's not likely to happen. Plus why would I trust someone like Beyer any more than a smalltime cable maker? Beyer, who doesn't even seem to understand how damping works (or care) despite their making headphones longer than anyone?

May 19, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #172 of 547
Quote:
 but JPS seems to not be so interested in the head-fi community, or at least that's the impression I get.

They can run, but they can't hide. One of us crazy head-fiers will hunt/track these down and AB the hell out of it against other flagships. LOL
evil_smiley.gif
 I suspect you'll have one on your head soon.

May 19, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #173 of 547
Quote:Muppetmania
I guess we expect companies to send units to folks like Jude who give previews well in advance of the launch, but JPS seems to not be so interested in the head-fi community, or at least that's the impression I get.

This is an important point.
If JPS wanted to get into the mainstream of headphone culture you would think that here is one of the most obvious places to spruik your wares.

If you're just proffering a lifestyle product, then I suppose Jude, Tyll etc don't figure prominently on your marketing horizon.

Apparently Cavalli does as they are purveyors of high ticket amps which would seem to equate with the crowd that JPS are appealing to.

You will, of course, note that I have not said anything about the quality of the build or the sound reproduction capabilities of Abyss or Cavalli. I am merely pointing out the cost of the products of both companies.
Let's keep it that way.

May 19, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #174 of 547
Oh my goodness - Muppetmania hahaha.

Bit off topic but I'm guessing MF will be one of the first here to buy these since she is a collector. (Why did you sell off your R10's if you're still collecting?).

May 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #175 of 547
Quote:
They can run, but they can't hide. One of us crazy head-fiers will hunt/track these down and AB the hell out of it against other flagships. LOL
evil_smiley.gif
 I suspect you'll have one on your head soon.

I'm actually more interested in the earpads used than the headphone itself. Those earpads look quite comfortable and might be a good candidate for future mods.

May 19, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #176 of 547
Quote:

If you're just proffering a lifestyle product, then I suppose Jude, Tyll etc don't figure prominently on your marketing horizon.

Apparently Cavalli does as they are purveyors of high ticket amps which would seem to equate with the crowd that JPS are appealing to.

You will, of course, note that I have not said anything about the quality of the build or the sound reproduction capabilities of Abyss or Cavalli. I am merely pointing out the cost of the products of both companies.
Let's keep it that way.

AFAIK no one has gotten a review sample of the Abyss.

Cavalli Audio has a preproduction Abyss that was used to test the Liquid Gold, but Dr. Cavalli has not said a single word about it publicly or done a single thing to promote it aside from photographing it with the LAu because it's an expensive "high-end" product that requires a lot of juice, which is the selling point of the LAu. You'll also see shots of the HE-6 next to the LAu in their photo gallery. And the SR-009 w/ the LL2, and the LCD-3 w/ the LG.

And surely you're kidding about Jude not reviewing lifestyle products, right

May 19, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #177 of 547
Quote:Muppet
And surely you're kidding about Jude not reviewing lifestyle products, right?

I wasn't saying that,

I was saying that JPS seemed to single out Cavalli with a sample of the Abyss due to the conception that a high priced headphone would be a good fit with a high priced boutique amp such as the Cavalli.
If the match has a good synergy, all the better.

If JPS wanted to get to the headphone mainstream, then the obvious choice would have been Jude, Tyll or someone else who has a great degree of street cred.

The fact that Jude reviewing lifestyle products is entirely his choice, and whether the review was sought by the manufacturer/marketer is their business.

Tyll's review of the ED10 is a sample (as far as I know) of people wanting his verdict of the model.

I have heard a pair and was singularly shocked and unimpressed with it's performance.
I am quite happy to put the incident down to a QC problem with that particular unit.
I am also prepared to say that Ultrasone's S-Logic does nothing for me except to make the phones sound shrill and sibilant.
I have heard 3 different models of Ultrasone and they all had the same problem.

If the Abyss turns out to be a real gem, I for one would be pleased, even though I think the ugly stick was applied too heavily.
I have 2 K1000's, a Ergo AMT and a Taket H2 which garner their fair share of ugly duckling criticism.
I happen to like their sonic performance, and regard them as keepers.

If I had the financial readies, I would also have the new Jecklin Float  because I like what I've read about their performance.

May 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #179 of 547
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For the people who have seen my samples and expressed their dislike of their looks, most were fans of their performance, especially the bass heavy pair.

May 19, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #180 of 547
Quote:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For the people who have seen my samples and expressed their dislike of their looks, most were fans of their performance, especially the bass heavy pair.

No doubt about that. I also am a fan of the bass light version as I don't find them lacking in the lower-end.

Anyway, returning to the discussion of the Abyss. This is a headphone from a cable company that charges enormous amounts of money for, in my opinion and from my education in electronics, "snake oil". If they do indeed "advance" the current planar magnetic technology that will leave me astounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back