New AAA jazz record with Kenny Barron etc
Dec 25, 2022 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jeromesabbagh

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I wanted to let you all know about a new all analog project I am fundraising for: a quartet record with jazz legend Kenny Barron, Joe Martin and Johnathan Blake.

This new album is a mix of compositions of mine and standards. There are some duets between Kenny Barron and I, and some quartet tracks. The album was recorded to multitrack tape by Ryan Streber at Oktaven Audio, and mixed at Brooklyn Recording by Pete Rende on a custom all tube 1/2 inch Ampex 351 tape machine at 30 ips. Bernie Grundman will do the mastering and cut the record, all analog.

I am happy to send members two tracks at 192/24 so you can check out the music and the sound. Just PM me.

The Kickstarter page is here. It's funded, meaning the project is definitely going forward. I have tried to keep the AAA vinyl affordable at $35. Once the Kickstarter is over, it will go up.

I really went all out to make this record sound great. I am very pleased with the results, musically as well as sonically, and I hope you will consider supporting this project.

Here is a video of the mixing session:

I hope it’s OK to post this. I am happy to answer any and all questions. Thank you for your support!

Jerome Sabbagh

Jan 9, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 8
Quick reminder: only three days left to support the Kickstarter for "Vintage" (Jerome Sabbagh, Kenny Barron, Joe Martin and Johnathan Blake)! AAA vinyl cut by Bernie Grundman, high res files, CDs, test pressings are still available. A couple of free tracks in 24/192 are available to anyone who asks. Thank you for your support!

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 8
It took some time but I am happy to report that the vinyl pressings are now done! I received an email from the plant this morning. They now need to ship me all the records by freight to Brooklyn. Once I have everything, I will then spend a few days packing and shipping them!

It's been a long road but I am very excited to get the records. Thanks to all on this board who supported this project!

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 8
All LPs have now shipped! If anyone else is interested, I will now be in a position to fulfill orders quickly at www.jeromesabbagh.com. Thank you for the support on this board, I really appreciate it! Any and all feedback is welcome. I hope those of you who supported the project will be happy with their record.

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 8
Hello everyone,

I wanted to let you all know about a new all analog project I am fundraising for: a quartet record with jazz legend Kenny Barron, Joe Martin and Johnathan Blake.

This new album is a mix of compositions of mine and standards. There are some duets between Kenny Barron and I, and some quartet tracks. The album was recorded to multitrack tape by Ryan Streber at Oktaven Audio, and mixed at Brooklyn Recording by Pete Rende on a custom all tube 1/2 inch Ampex 351 tape machine at 30 ips. Bernie Grundman will do the mastering and cut the record, all analog.

I am happy to send members two tracks at 192/24 so you can check out the music and the sound. Just PM me.

The Kickstarter page is here. It's funded, meaning the project is definitely going forward. I have tried to keep the AAA vinyl affordable at $35. Once the Kickstarter is over, it will go up.

I really went all out to make this record sound great. I am very pleased with the results, musically as well as sonically, and I hope you will consider supporting this project.

Here is a video of the mixing session for Gulistan-e-Johar Rental Properties:

I hope it’s OK to post this. I am happy to answer any and all questions. Thank you for your support!

Jerome Sabbagh

i grew up buying vinyl and was there for the introduction on the cd. I have about as many cd as records. After reading the mofi thread, i was not aware that there were so many passionate people who demand only AAA for their vinyl. I remember when cd came out, even vinyl records were proudly advertising that they were from a digital source. I assume after the cd came into popularity, many records were recorded digitally. When did this ferocious , for some people, almost cultist adherent to only AAA pressing begin in such a large degree. I would think, that there was always a small portion of the public with this attitude (ie Michael Fremer}. To be fair, the early cd players were pretty bad but digital has been very good for quite a long time now. I would say, a cheap digital source would sound better than a cheap vinyl source at comparable prices. Did this demand for AAA pressing begin with resurgence of vinyl ? I thought that it would be logical to have AAA chain for vinyl records but after hearing how good some of the mofi sound, i no longer care. Is this feeling similar to people in my age group?

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #8 of 8
i grew up buying vinyl and was there for the introduction on the cd. I have about as many cd as records. After reading the mofi thread, i was not aware that there were so many passionate people who demand only AAA for their vinyl. I remember when cd came out, even vinyl records were proudly advertising that they were from a digital source. I assume after the cd came into popularity, many records were recorded digitally. When did this ferocious , for some people, almost cultist adherent to only AAA pressing begin in such a large degree. I would think, that there was always a small portion of the public with this attitude (ie Michael Fremer}. To be fair, the early cd players were pretty bad but digital has been very good for quite a long time now. I would say, a cheap digital source would sound better than a cheap vinyl source at comparable prices. Did this demand for AAA pressing begin with resurgence of vinyl ? I thought that it would be logical to have AAA chain for vinyl records but after hearing how good some of the mofi sound, i no longer care. Is this feeling similar to people in my age group?
I don't know, but to me, as good as digital sounds, and it certainly sounds good, especially at 96/24 or 192/24, analog all the way sounds better when done well. Of course, it's really difficult to do well!

I recorded my new album (not out yet) live to two tracks, three different ways: straight to ProTools at 96/24, to a Studer A827 and to an Ampex 351 (both tape recorders at 1/2 inch, 30 ips). Same exact mix, coming from the same exact board at the same exact time. The digital version is the one that's not as good, and sounds the least like we did in the room. I don't know why, but it's not a close call. And then when my records made to tape get transferred to vinyl and to high res digital (at 192/24), as good as the high res digital sounds, the vinyl sounds better to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back